Murican Flyer (Boten)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole work thing got in the way this weekend, but I'm getting back on track. First I sentenced my kickback hub to serve some time in "the bucket". Hopefully it will work when I'm done with it.
001.JPG

I tried a different fork/skinny wheel combo. I kinda dig it.
003.JPG

Wheel was made in Germany. Oh well, I guess Murica was more of a guideline than a rule.
004.JPG

Cleaned up pretty nice.
010.JPG

Stuck some bars on it just because.
011.JPG

Last edited:
Sure
Man
Super

I spent the last few days fiddling with the fender. Sorry, no pics of that. Was going to try to paint today, but it's raining off and on. Plan B was to start working on the kickback hub. I blew it apart and cleaned everything. It just needs a little more cleanup on the brake discs, then I can grease and reassemble.
003.JPG

Now for a public service announcement. If you are going to use this:
001.JPG

You had better use these:
002.JPG

Last edited:
Got the hub cleaned and greased and back together. My wife generously "donated" some nail polish to the project. Thanks, dear.
Looks good just redid a single speed bindex but have a 3yellow band I need to do was it hard ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good just redid a single speed bindex but have a 3yellow band I need to do was it hard ?

It wasn't that difficult. This is the first kickback that I have worked on. Luckily I didn't have to replace anything. My red band has a disc type brake setup, where the yellow has a shoe type brake similar to your single speed. During reassembly, I had to backup a few times and realign the tabs on the brake discs. You wont have this problem. Also, beware the eleven loose ball bearings when disassembling the hub. There is good info on the Sheldon Brown website. Just search on Bendix coaster brakes. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
It wasn't that difficult. This is the first kickback that I have worked on. Luckily I didn't have to replace anything. My red band has a disc type brake setup, where the yellow has a shoe type brake similar to your single speed. During reassembly, I had to backup a few times and realign the tabs on the brake discs. You wont have this problem. Hope this helps.
Yes I'm sure it just needs a good cleaning that's all the single speed needed . The grease was like dried tar . Basically I'll just take my time & lay out the parts in order . I didn't know they made them with a inner disc brake assembly also . I'm sure than one was a little more difficult then mine .
Thanks

Been making slow progress the last few weeks. Mostly working though. Spent Thursday-Sunday in Terre Haute at the Indiana Special Olympics Summer Games with our group from Spencer County.
I have been working on painting my frame. Decided to totally repaint in original red/white combo. No good pics of that yet. I did get my seat recovered yesterday.
I started with a piece of foam that was used for lining a toolbox drawer.
005.JPG

Got that glued to seat pan, and trimmed to fit.
002.JPG

004.JPG

I took a piece of leather that I got from ebay from a place called Discount Hides and steamed it to get it softer, and stretched it over the pan. Looks darker since it is not completely dry yet.
005.JPG

Here's the finished product. Not bad for an amateur.
006.JPG

009.JPG

Have some time off work so business should be picking up.

Last edited:
Nice work it even looks like it is comfortable, if there is such a thing [emoji30]

Excellent seat work!!

I began working on my wheels this week. Not sure about the skinny front wheel so I went ahead and did both S-2 rims. They were pretty ratty to be sure, one worse than the other.
001.JPG

They came pretty clean but still some pitting.
002.JPG

Painted my base color and added some stencils/stickers.

005.JPG

Then sprayed my final coat.
007.JPG

Peeled off the stickers for the big reveal.
006.JPG

Here's a sneak peek of my frame.
008.JPG

I found these Sunday on CL. One of them may find it's way onto the bike.
003.JPG

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    418.3 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I began working on my wheels this week. Not sure about the skinny front wheel so I went ahead and did both S-2 rims. They were pretty ratty to be sure, one worse than the other.

They came pretty clean but still some pitting.

Painted my base color and added some stencils/stickers.

Then sprayed my final coat.

Peeled off the stickers for the big reveal.

Here's a sneak peek of my frame.

I found these Sunday on CL. One of them may find it's way onto the bike.
Looks like brand new $$$

Great Independence Day wheelset!!!

Latest posts

Back