Murican Flyer (Boten)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went for a ride today without fender/chainguard. Kickback worked really well. Shifted and stopped with no drama. I have been waiting for paint to dry on fender/guard. Note to self: Don't use Valspar paint again. I shouldn't get my hopes up with a rattle can paint job, but this paint probably won't be dry same time next year.

001.JPG
Getting close now. Had Midwest Graphix create some stencils for the chainguard. Schwinn purists don't look.

Then I started working on getting the fender installed. Not much chain/tire clearance here. Probably should have fitted the guard before painting, but lucked out. Tight but no rubs.
003.JPG

My fender braces were ratty and mismatched, so I hit them with some Krylon stainless steel paint. I seem to like to do everything backwards and this was no exception.
Fender on and out for a test ride. No rattles or rubs.
005.JPG
006.JPG
010.JPG

Just need to do some paint touchup around the seat post. Crappy paint + Park clamp = jacked up paint. Will also be looking for different grips. Thompson coke bottles maybe.
008.JPG

Last edited:
I can't recommend the Thompson grips enough. I run them on most of my rides.
BTW, DIG THIS BKE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'll have to give them a try.
Looks great, I really like the rear fender!
I appreciate it. It was pretty bashed when I got it. Not super straight now. I did my best short of having it rolled.

Nice touches on the bike build! The fender / custom graphics, stars on the wheels, combination of colors, tires...nice!

Purists may not like it but I do, besides it's all just old steel with a new lease on life....And who doesn't want that?

This is such a well balanced and super cool bike!!
Great features and detail work!
I love it!

Wow, all the way back to page three. I just got two pair of Thompson grips in the mail today. While super nice and comfortable, neither pair matches the bike well enough. I will probably use the old Hunt Wilde grips and save these for other bikes.
002.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG

I suppose I could make some grips with the leather scraps left over from the seat, but I wouldn't know where to begin. Tick Tock.

Last edited:
There is so much build activity going on right now that the top of Page 4 is only 6 days ago. It's madness trying to keep track of everyone's progress.

Finally got hold of a good(cheap) donor fender to complete the sweep, so to speak. I found a generic replacement rear fender at the Nashville flea market on Friday. No braces.
001.JPG

I relieved it of the ugly end.
002.JPG
003.JPG

Test fit.
004.JPG
005.JPG

Snagged the braces off of the front fender from this set.
007.JPG

Off to the paint booth.
018.JPG

I also came across this sorry looking set of high rise bars. Needless to say, if I use them, they will need to be painted. Probably wheel color.
006.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back