Murray Astro Flite - ASTRO SUPREME

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't wait to see your TRM low rider . Like that fork should work well .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Tanks for the update Dave! Looking forward to your fiddling with the fiberglass!

'Tanks for the update Dave! Looking forward to your fiddling with the fiberglass!
So was I! I taped it all off, measured, drilled pilot holes, and started in with the holesaw, only to have the chips of gel coat flying from it quickly convince me that using my old electrical, cut-a-hole-in-anything-that-needs-conduit-run-to-it holesaw set probably wasn't the best idea I'd ever had. I think it's time to take a step back, order a new finer tooth holesaw set that is actually SHARP, and take another run at it in a week or two.
In the meantime, here are pics of a couple of pieces that I haven't shown you yet: (pic coming momentarily)

So was I! I taped it all off, measured, drilled pilot holes, and started in with the holesaw, only to have the chips of gel coat flying from it quickly convince me that using my old electrical, cut-a-hole-in-anything-that-needs-conduit-run-to-it holesaw set probably wasn't the best idea I'd ever had. I think it's time to take a step back, order a new finer tooth holesaw set that is actually SHARP, and take another run at it in a week or two.
In the meantime, here are pics of a couple of pieces that I haven't shown you yet: (pic coming momentarily)
Sharp tools do seem to work better! Although I'm wondering that if you just go slow with what you've got, maybe it'll work. The fiberglass is pretty soft material to cut.
Of course I'm sitting at my computer and your actually using it, so I'm sure you know what's best.

Sharp tools do seem to work better! Although I'm wondering that if you just go slow with what you've got, maybe it'll work. The fiberglass is pretty soft material to cut.
Of course I'm sitting at my computer and your actually using it, so I'm sure you know what's best.
I may just mark it and Dremel it out to fit, but I should have a new set of holesaws anyway. These were my dad's before they were mine, and he was a career electrician.

Yay! It arrived safe and sound. And to top it all off, I even ordered the correct LED marker lights without double-checking the specs first.
Ok now i have to get a trm tank. I have a ladies spaceliner frame. This looks so cool with a different type of springer in there rather than just the rat trap. Cant wait to see the finished build

A little late, but I found cutting slow worked best. I also used a really long (12" or so) drill bit for the hole saw for the head tube. I drilled the pilots where I needed them, then used the long bit int he hole saw to drill through both top and bottom simultaneously and get the right angle to match the head tube. I drilled the top most of the way, but left enough to hold the drill bit at the right angle for the bottom hole. You also want to chamfer any cut edges with sand paper or a file or something to reduce gelcoat chipping.

Looking forward to seeing that fork with the tank!

Digging the parts so far, and looking forward to seeing some of them come together.

Only a month left, and I have yet to even lace wheels, much less fit the tank. Not looking good for this bike to make the deadline right now. I'm going to give it a shot, though.

One of the reasons that I was building this bike was as a central prop for a short subject a filmmaker buddy wants to shoot. There are before/after scenes, and my original plan was to build the finished bike, then swap some parts and ugly it up with water-based paints and such to shoot the "before" scenes. Maybe I should just go ahead and build the worn-out "before" version, and save all the shiny paint for later.

Haha i love that pic of u with the bars. Hey wait i still have not done bars for mine?

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back