Murray Eliminator, my childhood bike Finished on Christmas day

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last monday, I scored this frameset in a trade. It is the exact bike I had 40 years ago. Same paint scheme and it was a single speed coaster brake bike with 20 inch wheels. I put a chrome 10 speed fork on mine. I have already started to build this the way I wanted to as a kid.

image.jpeg

This is in no way a restoration, I used all generic parts to save money. More parts are on the way, it should be done in a week or so

Great start , looks like it's in good shape too, always a plus .
Congrats.

~ Rafael ~

It has 40 years of scrapes and scratches on it but who cares. Coming for it so far are a blue sparkle banana seat and grips, slick tire, and clamps for the sissy bar. I might change to a higher sissy bar, not sure yet. I also have a chrome chain, a vintage headlight and a modern repop speedometer that might go on it. Thinking about yellow streamers but not sure. When its done, I will put on a KISS t shirt and an Evel Knevel helmet and I will return to my youth

It's great your 40-years-ago childhood bike is a street cruiser. Mine is a Mongoose BMX I still have, but instead of returning me to my childhood it tries to return me all
the way to my maker if I try to ride it the way I did then!

Love the bike, it's great you found it!

It's great your 40-years-ago childhood bike is a street cruiser. Mine is a Mongoose BMX I still have, but instead of returning me to my childhood it tries to return me all
the way to my maker if I try to ride it the way I did then!

Love the bike, it's great you found it!

After this bike, I went to a monoshock bike from Grand Auto. I have seen them badged as different companies such as Huffy. Has a breadload banana seat that only connected to a seat post and no sissy bar. There have been a few available to me but bmx has its own following. I like to see them and muscle bikes but neither really get my juices going. Except this murray. Havent seen one in so long. Everyone had the 5 speed stick shift versions and the long chopper front ends. Mine was the unwanted economy model. It came with matching 20 inch wheels and this fork. I found a chrome 10 speed fork and later a 16 inch wheel that was green. I think it was off one of the first incredible hulk kids bikes. It gave me the muscle bike chopperish front end and I rode the heck out of it. Cant wait to get this together and see if I can still ride a wheelie up my moms street

image.jpeg

Prior to the Murray, this was my actual first bike. A hard rubber tired AMF Baja. I remember cutting the map off the back page of the phone book and scotch taping it to the frame and started learning my neighborhood. I was taking off at an early age. I would love to find one.

I had the Huffy Monoshock back in the '70s too. I didn't like it then, partly because it was heavy and ugly but mostly because it would always flip me over the handlebars when I jumped it.
The rear suspension would compress when I hit the ramp and rebound on the way off it, putting the bike into a forward endo. Man I hated that!
Of course, it'd be cool to have one now.

View attachment 40544

Prior to the Murray, this was my actual first bike. A hard rubber tired AMF Baja. I remember cutting the map off the back page of the phone book and scotch taping it to the frame and started learning my neighborhood. I was taking off at an early age. I would love to find one.

that's what my very first bicycle , was.
1968 -69 . :cool2:

Latest posts

Back