Murray Fireball resto

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well this isn't a Rat Rod Bike, but it's still pretty cool and closely related. A customer brought this early 60s pedal car into the shop and wanted it restored. It was pretty rough but there was a little of the original graphics left, enough to tell it was a Murray Fireball.

The whole thing was tore down and all 21 pieces were sand blasted and then powder coated either the original red or white. The front wheels had to be replaced as did all the rubber. The header pipes are the same as the ones Murray used on the JC Higgins header bike in the 50's and a recast of them was found, but didn't come cheap. The whole thing was put back together, but the graphics couldn't be found anywhere.

I remembered a RRB member Alex (aka. axsepul) did custom graphic work. Pictures and measurements were sent and he did a great job recreating the original graphics for me. Finally the project was complete.

Awesome!!! I'm building a Ford 32 pedal car from scratch, and I love what you did here.
Are those exhaust pipes stock or did you build them? I would love to see a detailed pic of 'em to see if I can do something similar :mrgreen:

The "deuce": viewtopic.php?f=11&t=71971

The exhaust pipes were stock on the JC Higgings Header/Manifold bike from about 1953 -1955. They were plastic and very prone to breaking so not many are still around, and those that are usually bring stupid money as do the complete bikes.

Murray used them again on the Fireball pedal car and others in the early 60's. The ones used here are cast repops and are available from 39elgin on ebay, but they don't come cheap.

Latest posts

Back