1. The first phase of the site update has been completed, but the forum software update will occur one evening this week. Will try to keep everyone posted when I find out an exact day. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Murray Monterey

Discussion in 'BIKE TALK' started by Ralph Custom Cruiser, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Ralph Custom Cruiser

Ralph Custom Cruiser

This week i buy this Murray Cruiser. who can tell me in which year they were built?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

KJV, Jsparks and horsefarmer like this.
  2. deorman

deorman

Can't say exactly, looks like an 1980s bike.

Ralph Custom Cruiser likes this.
  3. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

I picked up a girls one of these this Spring. Not as nice a shape with strangely rusted rims but all other chrome nice. Same awesome paint color!

Ralph Custom Cruiser likes this.
  4. Glen

Glen

My Build Off 13 bike is a Murray Monterey too. When I got it I had no idea what year it was, and going by the condition, thought it'd be from the 1960s or something. After some research I found out that there should be a sticker on the seat tube near the bottom bracket with some numbers that tell you when it was made. I looked on mine and, sure enough, it was there...

724046034.jpg

The numbers on mine are 05-82, which means it was built May 1982.

I can see that yours has a sticker down there, but it looks different to mine. Perhaps you could check that and see what it says.

Glen.

5. clamdigger

clamdigger

Here is a video showing the date code on the headtube. Says that is 1968 Murray Monterey. Note the crown on that fork ( looks like bi-plane wings) . Your bike has a unicrown fork , making it a later model. Sometimes dates are stamped on the handlebar stem.

6. Glen

Glen

The quote above is from... https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/murray-serial-number-help.31264/

The number stamped on the right side of my head tube is MO2 005032. My sticker says 05-82 so the 'MO2' on mine must be for 1982. I don't think the the bike in the video posted by @clamdigger is a 1968 but perhaps 1988... it certainly looks more 80s to me. Yours @Ralph Custom Cruiser looks more like a 90s one to me. I could be wrong though o_O

It certainly is confusing. Heres another ID thread I found... https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/murray-serial-number-project.7014/

Glen.

7. Ralph Custom Cruiser

Ralph Custom Cruiser

Thx to all . I pick it up next saturday and will see...

8. RustyGold

RustyGold

I'm 99% sure that the one in the video is not a '68, as Glen says...probably 80s.

The silver tag on yours will give the date...and I'm pretty sure it is going to be ~ '92-94, or so. Looks clean :thumbsup:

Jason

Ralph Custom Cruiser and Wildcat like this.
  9. Wildcat

Wildcat

Same frame as the earlier models. The Rust Rocket Deluxe uses one of those Monterey frames.
    upload_2018-9-25_17-27-56.jpeg

Dr. Tankenstein likes this.
  10. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Murray got ALMOST as much wear out that frame as Schwinn did with their original cantilevered frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Ralph Custom Cruiser

Ralph Custom Cruiser

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the age?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    KJV likes this.
  12. Glen

Glen

Here's part of the quote I posted previously...

So going by that, yours will be 1994.

4-5020-111794

Glen.

KJV and RustyGold like this.
  13. Ralph Custom Cruiser

Ralph Custom Cruiser

Ok Glen, but what is about the number on the headtube ?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

14. Imaginos

Imaginos

I never found anything on my Monterey frame that helped date it. But the stem was stamped “90” and that along with the Miami Vice styling leads me to believe mine was built in 1990. The number on the head tube had far fewer digits than yours. And now it’s buried in layers of spray paint.

15. Glen

Glen

I'm not sure about the headtube numbers. Mine has 'MO2 005032' on one side and 'E3267652' on the other.

It's very confusing :confused:

Glen.

16. deorman

deorman

MO is Murry Ohio. I'm pretty sure the 2 indicates the Lawrenceburg Tennessee plant. The other number is probably a stock number of a retail store where it was sold.

Glen likes this.
  17. RustyGold

RustyGold

94 is the production date, as indicated on the sticker. I believe the 1117 is also month and day. The MOK prefix on the headtube is for '94, as well (MOJ is '93). If you pull the stem out, it will be stamped '93 or '94 as well, I would bet.

Jason

18. Phil Fink

Phil Fink

Weld splatter left "as is" and painted-over is characteristic mid-1990's U.S. made bicycles; my 1995 Huffy has worser.

RustyGold likes this.
  19. kngtmat

kngtmat

As said it's an 94. Just like mine.

KJV likes this.
  20. us56456712

us56456712

The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    I had one of these but it was purple. Didn't research the year. I think there was something on it that indicated it was made in Tennessee, but this was 3 years ago and I don't remember if I are breakfast anymore. I Got it for $25 at the thrift store. I cleaned it, polished the chrome, waxed the frame, trued the back wheel and did grease maintenance. Tires were getting to where they needed replacement. I rode it for part of the summer but it really wasn't my thing, too new. I usually fix this vintage and sell for my cost. Sold it for $50 which I felt bad about, felt like I was ripping someone off selling it for more than I paid for it. I'm over that. The blue one is nicer than mine was but the purple one had nice paint and chrome.

horsefarmer likes this.