"Muscle-Bike-Build-Off 01" FINISHED BIKES THREAD! TIME TO VOTE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" FINISHED BIKES THREAD!

Looking forward to seeing the madness on Sunday. I already cheated and looks at Luke's flickr gallery. :mrgreen:

:oops: Oops! Didn't think of people being able to do that, then again, you are a sneaky one Kingfish!... :roll:

Well if the secret is out, and it looks like the build off will be getting extended slightly, I may as well post them here and keep the interest going in the build off...

First a little about the bike.

I figured seeing as the very first production muscle bike was released on March 3rd 1963, why not build a "50 years of muscle bikes" tribute bike?

The frame design is styled similar to a Murray Eliminator II, one of my favorite frame designs of all time, the big and little wheels and disc brakes idea came from the Schwinn Stingray and Krate line up and the paint and decals are tribute to the very first production muscle bike, the "John T. Bill Company" "Penguin" (built by Huffy.) See this link for more info: http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/br ... uscle.html

The bicycle features a 5 inch wide rear whitewall motorcycle tire (mt90/16) mounted on a modified 16x3.5 inch car rim with a custom hub that incorporates dual freewheels for the dual chain drive and dual disc brakes as well. Here is a link to building a similar hub if you are interested: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68533&p=661483#p661483
The custom seat post allows for adjustment not only up and down 5 inchs, but also forward and back 9 inchs to suit just about any teenage/adult rider. For reference I am just over 6 foot 4 inchs, and I ride with the seat all the way up and back.

The handle bars are clamped at the top and bottom of the headtube to avoid the flexing issues normally associated with such tall bars, the dual cable brake lever operates both rear discs at the same time.

The dual chain drive system actually has no real benefits aside from looking good, and really is that not all that matters on a bike like this?

Hidden under the seat is a police style siren and flashing lights for just a little more fun! :mrgreen:

Here are the photos!

P3090006 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

P3090009 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

P3090010 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

We went for a short drive to the port of Echuca on the border of the states of New South Wales and Victoria, Echuca is famous as one of the oldest steam boat ports still in operation.

P3090014 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

They also do pretty good ice cream... :wink: There were lots of customers just out of shot, I just managed to pick a time when no one was at the counter.

P3090016 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

They also have a branch of the Beechworth Bakery there, they claim to be "Australia's greatest bakery."

P3090018 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

As a major shipping port, there were many logging trails through the area.

FILE0103 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Small park with lake, looked like they were setting up for a wedding over the other side.

FILE0105 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Taking a break from riding for a bit.

P3090003 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

We left Echuca and went into Shepparton lake for some pictures. These cool "Table Tennis" or "Ping Pong" tables are made out of solid steel and are set up permanently, awesome idea...
Close up of the rear wheel, aero disc, dual drive and underseat siren.

P3090021 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

P3090024 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Sunset pic on the way home, we live in a farming area as you can probably tell.

P3090033 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

On the way we also grabbed a couple of riding videos, they are only short but they should give you an idea of what it is like to ride.
Video 1: http://youtu.be/fp0LsSKcDaQ
Video 2: http://youtu.be/5K0xWtsJHDs

We had a good if long day, I covered more miles on the bike than I ever have in one go on my mountain bike, it is so much fun to ride and far more comfortable as well. Plus we had people asking us about it all day, drivers in cars going past giving us a wave and a beep on the horn, whole families coming over for a look and we even put some of the kids up on the seat too, they loved the police siren the most though!
I consider the bike as done and fully tested, we had no problems with it (Aside from a loose crank that I forgotten to tighten.) Really happy with the way it came out.

I would be interested in knowing what your thoughts are on the bike, good or bad.

Luke.

luke that thing is awesome! you do good work 8)
i am anxious for summer to come so i can get to tinkering. too nippy here in new england right now :?
sweet bike! :mrgreen:

That's Awesome!! Congratulations on a very cool bike!

I really like the way everything came together , so many innovative ideas
and you've blended them so that they look like a factory build

The black and white paint scheme allows you to see the different features
and forethought you put into the bike

Great that you can ride a muscle bike that fits you too

Thanks for the ride pictures and video, I like seeing you and your neighborhood

That huge whitewall back tire is too cool and the matching shoes are the "cherry on top"

Steve

junknutz1975 said:
luke that thing is awesome! you do good work 8)
i am anxious for summer to come so i can get to tinkering. too nippy here in new england right now :?
sweet bike! :mrgreen:
Thanks Junknutz! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
When it is summer over there, i will be the one watching along on my computer because it is too cold outside! :wink:

Steve, it seems you really understood my build, my main goal was to look like a bike that someone would release to commorate the 50 years. Your 24 inch Eliminator was a big inspiration when I was designing the bike, I just love the way it looks with those fat and skinny slicks! Also your Aluminium Winter and First Ride threads inspired the layout of my pics, I tried to include some scenery, local colour and history with the pics as opposed to just bike pictures, I find with yours it is almost like being on the ride with you. Very cool! 8)

I was wondering how long until someone mentioned the shoes! Not long apparently! :D

Luke.

Very cool build Luke! I bet you start a trend of people stretching their muscle bikes! :) Perfectly proportioned.

Rich

WOW Luke!! That is a thing of beauty!! I bow down to your skills sir! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Luke your bike is killer 8) the frame is very nice and the black/white paint is so well done 8) Good job!

Wow... that is sooo cool. You have some amazing skills. This'll be hard to beat.

Thanks everyone! Glad you like it!
Looking forward to what the rest of these guys come up with! :) Seeing thier builds so far, voting is not going to be easy!

Luke.

Ok folks... here is my entry.

It was originally going to be called Chopster, but then I thought of Muscrat. Now that it's done I prefer Chopster... so here it is...

CHOPSTER

First, a couple of shots of me on it...

15_DoneMe.jpg

16_DoneMe.jpg

Here is a video of me heading off to take photos...

I rode around to the Stone Store, the oldest stone building in New Zealand...

17_Done.jpg

18_Done.jpg

On the other side of the river (the side I am on) is Rewa's Village, a replica of a traditional Maori village...

19_Done.jpg

20_Done.jpg

A busload of tourists came so I went somewhere quieter to take some more photos...

21_Done.jpg

22_Done.jpg

23_Done.jpg

24_Done.jpg

Then back at home I took some more...

25_Done.jpg

26_Done.jpg

27_Done.jpg

28_Done.jpg

29_Done.jpg

30_Done.jpg

31_Done.jpg

So that's it... quite fun really and it looks pretty good although there are some things that I didn't get done...

Wanted better pedals
Wanted a sissy bar extension or at least something to cover the existing sissy bar ends
Wanted to fix the rear wheel wobble but the axle is bent
Wanted better mounts for the rear of the banana seat
Wanted two matching gear levers but only got one done
Wanted to get a better shim for the handlebar instead of the homemade one that doesn't tighten well enough

But it is finished for now and is my first build on RRB :D

Last edited:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Dang Luke! That turned out AMAZING!! Muscle bike? More like a muscle bike on STEROIDS!

Dig it mate!

Cheers,
Dr. T
Thanks Dr T!

Lowlife Lucas said:
Wow, it turned out absolutely awesome! 8)
I knew it would though :wink:
That paint looks great, this bike is in my favorites book now :D
Glad it made your favorites book Lucas!

Glen, that turned out awesome! It looks like it is a ball to ride, and appears to be a rocket ship with that full gearset! :shock:
Awesome colour choice too, works in really well with the red wheels and whitewalls! I am glad you got the close up on the front brake, I did not realise you had an extension spring on the other end. I am guessing the batteries for the lights are in the lights? I cant see a battery box anywhere...

Thanks for sharing those awesome pics with us.

I think I am going to have to build one like yours now, I love the lines and the fact you can run a full gear spread! Ok with you if I borrow some ideas? Not for a build off or anything, just to build a cool bike! :wink:

Luke.

Re: "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" FINISHED BIKES THREAD! 2ND BIKE UP!

Lowlife Lucas said:
Nice job, Glen! I like it 8)

Thanks Lucas. Too bad you lost interest but I know what it can be like... I loose interest in things real easy and go off to do something else. Perhaps you will finish it some other time.

LukeTheJoker said:
Glen, that turned out awesome! It looks like it is a ball to ride, and appears to be a rocket ship with that full gearset! :shock:
Awesome colour choice too, works in really well with the red wheels and whitewalls! I am glad you got the close up on the front brake, I did not realise you had an extension spring on the other end. I am guessing the batteries for the lights are in the lights? I cant see a battery box anywhere...

Thanks for sharing those awesome pics with us.

I think I am going to have to build one like yours now, I love the lines and the fact you can run a full gear spread! Ok with you if I borrow some ideas? Not for a build off or anything, just to build a cool bike! :wink:

Luke.

Thanks for the compliments, Luke. You can use any idea you like... nothing really new on there though. The front light came wired with the batteries inside and the switch on the top. The back light came with a 12v bulb and was sold as a "Dummy Bee Light" in either red or blue lens. I did a bit of "rat" modifying inside to get it functional with the on/off button beneath.

It rides really well but there are some issues. I can only use the center chainring at the moment and only six of the seven rear gears are selectable... six speeds is great though. I had big trouble with the chainring in the build up... couldn't get it off... broke my puller... bent the chainrings to smithereens trying to pry them off. So banged it back into shape with a hammer and just left it on, but it still isn't quite right.

Looking forward to seeing the others up. I noticed Krandall's is on the build off thread...

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=68143&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=300#p674862

...should it be here too?

How does the voting work on one of these build offs?

Latest posts

Back