Muscle Bike Build Off....anyone up for it?!?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey all you muscle heads out there, I know we are in the last days of the annual RRB Summer BO, but it feels like Fall here in the north country; and you know what that means - - MBBO baby!

@LukeTheJoker usually hosts this, but I know he is in the midst of a major life change / move and may not be settled yet. @Rat Rod , Steve, is there a thought to another MBBO again this year?

We usually have a different builder make-up for the muscle bike crowd, and for me it's a good way to enjoy the early Fall weather in Minnesota. As long as we start it right on October 1, otherwise I'll freeze my spoke nipples off before I get the bike finished! :21:

I drove through a heavy downpour for 2.5 hrs today to pick this bike from a dirty, grimy farm building. My first 24 x 20 wheeled 5 speed muscle bike! Pumped~!

69462107_900095570371538_7737928619388829696_n.jpg

And oh yeah, it's rusty!

I'd like to join but I built mine over the spring and summer.
-Your Spyder is really complete. No missing chain guard or shifter. I almost bought a Spyder a few years back, but it was a ten speed, so it did not have that cool chain guard. It did have the dual rear brake.

Hey guys, I'm still around occasionally, big changes happening for me though as some said...

I did drop a post earlier in the discussion post of the last one, post 54 on this page:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...ng-oct-1st-2018-to-feb-1st-2019.107233/page-3

Just a heads up to everyone, been discussing ideas with the boss, and there are going to be some changes for the next mini build-off!

NEW THEME!

20" or less!

So we can still do muscle bikes, but add in scramblers, BMX, kids tankbikes, minivelo, scooters etc...

Fairly open rule set:
20" or less.
Powered by the rider.
Build between the dates.
Post progress.

In case anyone uses car or motorbike wheels, that the overall wheel and tire combination would have to be under 21"

2 classes, one open, one a "no weld."

Start planning!

:thumbsup:

That was the plan, still happy to run with that if people like.

If people would rather include bigger wheeled Muscle bikes, maybe we can run the 2 classes as:
1:Muscle
2:Under 20"? Or maybe specifically BMX?

I am in the middle of big moves, but happy to run it and maybe even join in if people are OK with a pre-built frame I made a while back.
We usually allow prebuilt if they were not made specially for the build-off, but I am happy to sit-out if people prefer.

Times would be the same as last time Oct 1st to Feb 1st.

I like the 20" and under ruleset as is, without it being particularly 'muscle' oriented.

...and I have no issue with you using a pre-built frame :thumbsup:
I just feel bad for OJ just getting his first 24/20 bike and not being able to use it!

Maybe change it to a "Kids" bike build-off?

Muscle Bikes, BMX, Scramblers, scooters?

I just feel bad for OJ just getting his first 24/20 bike and not being able to use it!

Maybe change it to a "Kids" bike build-off?

Muscle Bikes, BMX, Scramblers, scooters?
Wait, wouldn't my bike fall under Class 1, "Muscle"? The second class would be just for 20" only right?

Okay, so I went back and looked at your post that occurred right after MBBO #7. 20" build off idea.

Seems a little weird to exclude 24" wheeled bikes, as they were clearly designed for 'kids', who maybe were a little older or taller than the kids who were riding 20" bikes. Doesn't that exclude a whole group of muscle bikes from the '60s?

I'm not sure what brought on the parameters of changing to a 20" only build. I'm a 'why' person, the reason 'why' behind decisions is always important to me. I would appreciate an explanation of 'why' this decision was made.

My guess is maybe Muscle was too limitimg and the idea was to open it up to other smaller builds. Why not just change it to a 24 and under BO. That would handle all smaller wheeled builds (non 26). It could be muscle, pig, bmx, young rat, young freak, young stretch, minivelo, etc.....

I'm not sure what brought on the parameters of changing to a 20" only build. I'm a 'why' person, the reason 'why' behind decisions is always important to me. I would appreciate an explanation of 'why' this decision was made.
My guess is maybe Muscle was too limitimg and the idea was to open it up to other smaller builds.
@kingfish254 nailed it.

It was my suggestion to change it up this year, entries were down, the build-off felt a little stale, RatRod agreed.

I didn't specifically set out to exclude bigger wheeled muscle bikes, the 20" rule was just so the build-off still had some direction.
I like to give the smaller build-off some restrictions to keep it separate from the big build-off each year, and to encourage some out of the box thinking, try to get some new ideas happening.

The solution is probably to change it to "At least one wheel smaller than 20" build-off" but let me discuss it with RatRod and get back to you.

@kingfish254 nailed it.

It was my suggestion to change it up this year, entries were down, the build-off felt a little stale, RatRod agreed.

I didn't specifically set out to exclude bigger wheeled muscle bikes, the 20" rule was just so the build-off still had some direction.
I like to give the smaller build-off some restrictions to keep it separate from the big build-off each year, and to encourage some out of the box thinking, try to get some new ideas happening.

The solution is probably to change it to "At least one wheel smaller than 20" build-off" but let me discuss it with RatRod and get back to you.

If you narrow it to one wheel 20 or less you still hamper any 24 inch builds. I think it would be better to have 24 or less wheels and leave it at that.

Well, it excludes 3 of my builds. Two are 24", and one is a 26". The 20" isn't particularly exciting either. So, if it's just 20", I'm in for one. Which will be done in about a week because the hardest thing I have to do is paint and polish.

All of my builds are going to be done either way, as two are for "clients" and one is for my daughter. But I like to add them to a build off to keep me on task, and to help with numbers. But 1 is still better than 0.

Oh, this went off track quick...

Should have made sure the post about the rule change was more noticeable, posting it in a new thread might have been a good idea...

-----------------------​

Lets run it as MBBO#08 with the normal rules for Muscle Bikes, but also allow bikes that have both front and rear wheels under 21" as Class 2.

-----------------------​

So just to be clear, if your build does not meet the accepted criteria we use for Muscle Bikes:

The 2 out 3 rule: Must meet at least 2 of the following 3 requirements:

1: Rear tire larger than the front. (Wider, taller or both.)
2: Banana seat.
3: Muscle bike appropriate bars. (Apehangers, steering wheels...)
You can have all three.

All wheels/tires must be under 21" diameter and you enter in Class 2.

-----------------------​

That should keep those who didn't know about the change happy, and also those that did.

So Class 1 is only restricted by the normal 'meets 2 out of 3' requirement, and Class 2 both wheels must be under 21".

That allows for some creativity building small bikes, and keeps the 'muscle' field open for creativity as well.

Sounds like a very inclusive solution. I like it. Thanks Luke.

Hmmm...sounds like the decision has been made...but, I'm not finding it really satisfying. Its essentially an MBBO with a side of kids bikes. I was hoping for something that was taking the muscle bike focus off without excluding them. I think KF had the most direct simple take on it...24" and under. A 'less than build off'...<BO...focusing on the bikes that are easily overlooked in other build-offs plus muscle bikes.

As I have multiple ideas for a straight 20" and under, I was excited about the upcoming BO. KFs mere mention of 24" and under instantly doubled the possibilities (and only one is muscle bike related).

I'm in for whatever, however (though I've yet to complete a single BO) :cool2:

If you have a 24" muscle bike, you could borrow a 20" wheel for the front just to qualify for the build off.

Latest posts

Back