My 27 year old Trek Cruiser gets an upgrade!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it's 27 this past May, bought it for late night and morning rides when my kids were babies for those times when I might need to stop at the grocery store. I owned a Fisher Aquila at the time but didn't want to lock it up at night. I live out in the country now with some hills and it simply was not fun to ride but I couldn't part with it either.

I have had lots of plans for it like new wheels, bottom bracket conversion with a BMX crank, "gears" (grin) and Brooks saddle but it's been on the backburner for years.

I hit the university bike sale this past week and scored a set of wheels with a Nexus 7 rear hub and shifter for 30 bucks. I also ended up with the correct mount to fit the Brooks saddle that I pulled off my Marlin 7 so in a matter of hours made this ride fun again!

I have more plans: I need to flip the seat bracket and adjust the saddle but I still want to find an alloy micro-adjust seat post, wider bars, build a grip shift mount or buy a suicide shifter to get rid of most of the cable, rotate the tires to the correct direction after being in such a hurry yesterday mounted them backwards, and buy a BMX crank and bottom bracket conversion.

Hope ya'll like it, after several years of being off a bike to get some health issues sorted out, I am riding again. Bougtht the 29er Marlin 7, sold the Aquila, bought several Fixie projects and it's fun again.

48816065066_2c6e8534da_b.jpg

48815707838_92a84fa6a5_b.jpg

"I hit the university bike sale this past week and scored a set of wheels with a Nexus 7 rear hub and shifter for 30 bucks."

That is a purchase worthy of the Ratrod Bikes Hall of Fame!

Yep, it's 27 this past May, bought it for late night and morning rides when my kids were babies for those times when I might need to stop at the grocery store. I owned a Fisher Aquila at the time but didn't want to lock it up at night. I live out in the country now with some hills and it simply was not fun to ride but I couldn't part with it either.

I have had lots of plans for it like new wheels, bottom bracket conversion with a BMX crank, "gears" (grin) and Brooks saddle but it's been on the backburner for years.

I hit the university bike sale this past week and scored a set of wheels with a Nexus 7 rear hub and shifter for 30 bucks. I also ended up with the correct mount to fit the Brooks saddle that I pulled off my Marlin 7 so in a matter of hours made this ride fun again!

I have more plans: I need to flip the seat bracket and adjust the saddle but I still want to find an alloy micro-adjust seat post, wider bars, build a grip shift mount or buy a suicide shifter to get rid of most of the cable, rotate the tires to the correct direction after being in such a hurry yesterday mounted them backwards, and buy a BMX crank and bottom bracket conversion.

Hope ya'll like it, after several years of being off a bike to get some health issues sorted out, I am riding again. Bougtht the 29er Marlin 7, sold the Aquila, bought several Fixie projects and it's fun again.

48816065066_2c6e8534da_b.jpg

48815707838_92a84fa6a5_b.jpg
Looks clean! Is the rear a coaster brake?

Latest posts

Back