My Big Red Rocket of Love, SOLD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the bike I bought the day before I joined this site.

Here it was when I got it:
2109369423_e1a6a62ee2.jpg

After clean-up:
2173772103_7f92809a07.jpg

I didn't do much else for a long time, just riding it as is, a pretty smooth middleweight.
Put a lot of miles on cruising and commuting on this rig.
3017253047_6f4386f41a.jpg

I did replace crank, pedals, and add some decals at one point:
3150186034_b6c761a69d.jpg

But I recently decided it was time to ditch the flimsy, rattley, clunky racks and fenders, and go for a lean, clean look.
3554145465_12c34e5587_b.jpg

3554144609_38ef98e9a4_b.jpg

Instantly the bike becomes much lighter and quieter. But I did finally notice that it has a slightly weird stance...
I did recently note that it rode kinda weird, very differently than any other cruiser I own...
and that's probably why I've crashed it a couple of times...
But anyway, now it's kinda making me think I need to get that seat positioned back farther... and maybe get some apes on this thing. And I might ditch the chainguard too, but it does have my favorite decal on it ;)

I guess it's finally time to start customizing it a little, eh? :D

Re: My Big Red Rocket of Love, running lean

Nice bike, I'd keep the chainguard on it.

You can adjust the seat a couple inches backward by taking it off and turning the mounting receptacle forward, then putting it back on.

Is that a J C Higgins?

I have a similar bike. Here is a before and after a little updating and cleaning:
Galaxie4.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

Sweet ride...........But i have to say she is more of a sweetheart with the fenders........Haha yeah I know what you mean by a nosie ride with them on but you cant match the lines bikes had back in the day.........She's a looker tho........Big Rocket of Love....Do you get that from the band "The Rev"?

Wildcat said:
Nice bike, I'd keep the chainguard on it.

You can adjust the seat a couple inches backward by taking it off and turning the mounting receptacle forward, then putting it back on.

Is that a J C Higgins?

It's actually a Ross, made by Chain Bike Corp.
2110139578_235ccbaa6a.jpg

JLarkin said:
I have a similar bike. Here is a before and after a little updating and cleaning:

It IS very similar. Looks good, how does it ride?

rustyspokes21 said:
Sweet ride...........But i have to say she is more of a sweetheart with the fenders........Haha yeah I know what you mean by a nosie ride with them on but you cant match the lines bikes had back in the day.........She's a looker tho........Big Rocket of Love....Do you get that from the band "The Rev"?

I did like it with the fenders and racks, but the hardware that was holding it all together is very flimsy thin metal and broke in a few spots, I'd need to get the fender straps and rear rack mount welded back together or something. The last time I rode it with all that stuff still on, it sounded like a coffee can full of rusty nails rattling around inside, and the rear fender would occasionally rub the tire. So it was an easy decision at that point.

And yes, praise to the Reverend! Hallelujah!

JoeyMac said:
3554145465_12c34e5587_b.jpg

3554144609_38ef98e9a4_b.jpg

I guess it's finally time to start customizing it a little, eh? :D

I had a JC Higgins like that back in the day. Used it for my paper route so I stripped the fenders and racks and replaced them with wire baskets. Delivered at least 60 Chicago Tribs everyday. Sundays were tough.

If I still had that bike now I'd mash the seat and cut the bars and drop 'em a little. The chainguard is a classic, dents and all.

haha hells yah The REV is a bad ... band.........Love that song also.......Nice taste in music........ :D

A friend from work was looking for a bike, I told her to come over and pick one out. She walked in the front door, saw this bike, and although I showed her every other bike in my stash, she was only interested in the Big Red Rocket of Love. So I decided it was time to let it go to a new home. I did put new whitewalls and thorn-resistant tubes on for the new owner as well, and delivered it on Saturday, in-between finishing RoadMaster Diesel for the build-off.

My last ride on the Big Red Rocket of Love, to deliver to the new owner:
3790905087_be21fab839_b.jpg

And one last beauty shot outside her apartment:
3790905643_57d760c8b3_b.jpg

She loves it though, and when I was over at her place delivering the bike, I talked her into joining me (er, driving me) to New London on Sunday for the group ride!
3791025859_f868b1b29b_b.jpg

the happy new bike owner

I have some good memories on this bike, but I am glad that someone else has a chance to make some good memories too :)

Latest posts

Back