My Cool Bike - Book

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There may be a few of you that have either heard of or have this book as it was released about 2 years ago. But I took my 87yo Aunt out for lunch to this little cool coffee shop in Brighton, Vic as she is doing it really tough at the moment and loves to get out of the nursing home. With 11 brothers and sisters and all of their kids, grandkids, she doesn't seem to spend much time eating at her residence as she is truly the matriarch of the family and an inspiration to all of us with what she is going through.

Anyhow, I digress, whilst waiting for our coffees and sandwiches to be made I was having a look at some of the books they had for sale and being a book-binder by trade there were certainly some interesting books there!! One that really grabbed my attention was a predominantly blue cover with a racer on front called "My Cool Bike". As soon as I picked it up and flicked through it I knew that I had to have it. It is not a technical book of 'how tos' or modify bikes but more about bike culture and all different types of bikes from the humble penny farthing through to a fold-up bike including raleigh choppers, schwinns, a few customs and many others. There is also some bicycle shops and groups that are featured throughout the 160pg hardcover book with more than 400 photos in it.

Well worth trying to find a copy and have a look for yourself.

Cheers
Sean

my-cool-bike.jpg

Here is a review from bikecommuters.com that I found

At first, I was a bit skeptical: “aw, man, ANOTHER artsy book about bikes?!?” I expressed my concerns to my contact at IPG, and she assured me that yes, this was another art/coffee table book, but from the author’s very successful (and quirky) series called “My Cool…” Based on her guidance, I gave the book a fair chance, and I’m glad I did.

My Cool Bike is a fun look at the incredibly diverse world of bike culture, where all kinds of people are represented: punks, artists, designers, scientists, tinkerers, adventurers, free-thinkers. This should come as no surprise to many of you; we’re all pretty different from one another, yet we all share a rather passionate love for two-wheeled machines. Chris Haddon traveled to a number of cities and met with a lot of people, and in the process captured a fairly broad set of bike characters who embody bike culture as we know it. Lyndon MacNeill’s photographs really seal the deal, though — the bikes and the personalities behind them are captured in rich color, and those photographs also perfectly capture the joy and enthusiasm of each bike’s owner.

No hardcore racers or superathletes here; the personalities represented in the book seem to not take themselves so seriously, but clearly enjoy the freedom and individuality the bicycle brings to their lives. I think we can ALL relate to that, yes?

My Cool Bike is an enjoyable book to page through — there are no revelations contained within its pages, but I think you’ll enjoy this look at our unique two-wheeled community. There’s really something for every bike fan here; bikes to drool over, fun personalities you would love to go on a ride with, tales of adventures you’ll want to emulate. After seeing some of the collections of bikes owned by people in this book, I don’t feel so bad about the bike jumble in my own garage. While paging through the book, I did find myself wishing for a larger storage space, though!

Take a look at My Cool Bike, available through a number of online booksellers and perhaps even in your local library (if they don’t have it, ask nicely and they might be able to get a copy for you). You’ll enjoy the ride!

Daniel Koenig from Ichibike in Iowa also features in it

Latest posts

Back