My cruiser BTR project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Ratrodbikes forum! this is my first post I believe and i figured this would be a good way to start! with my recently started project :D I will begin with a drawing
211jf4o.jpg

I've been working on this idea for a while, this is basically the final revision. originally i was going to build a full on custom board track racer style bike, custom frame and the whole nine yards, but then reality kicked back in when i remembered that i don't have a MIG welder or any other useful metalworking tools! what i DID have was an 85cc tecumseh two stroke motor from a snowblower, and a couple of western flyer bicycles!
29y14eg.jpg

5btz4h.jpg

the ladies bike will donate to me its front and rear brakes, forks, and shimano 333 3 speed rear hub to be mounted on the other bike. today i made a mockup of the tank, flipped the bars and a few other little things on the bike. Its been HOT. 89 with a heat index of 107 today, wasnt too bad with a fan blowing directly at me! :lol: I owe a LOT to my good friend Simon for helping me figure some of this bicycle specific stuff out (i'm a total noob when it comes to any of the more technical bicycle stuff) and with the gear ratios. for simplicities sake I've decided to order the bulk of the parts from GoKartParts.com, which also has some of the lowest priced parts i've come across. The parts chosen are as follows:

*12t #35 chain 5/8 bore max torque clutch
*5/8"x10" jackshaft kit (13t and 18t sprockets)
*c35 chain 10 foot roll
*ccl-35 connecting link x2
*72 tooth steel sprocket #35 chain

all of that means that i should have around a 10.6:1 ratio in third gear with around a 50mph top speed. and stump pulling torque in first :lol: The motor, if you cant tell, is an 85cc tehcumseh 2 stroke which is 2-3hp stock if i remember right. it will be getting some mild port work, a tuned exhaust pipe, and a new carb which should be good for a little power boost :) i've come up with what i think will be a more than adequate mounting method for the motor, without welding! here is where i sit right now, cardboard tank mockup and all :D
2jd2yae.jpg

more progress as i make it! i wont be ordering parts for a while yet, but theres a lot of progress to be made without spending anything yet! please let me know what you think :D

I have three of those little engines. I put one on my drag bike project and we are in the process of building radio flyer wagon figure 8 bumper cars to race in a parking lot and on the ice this Winter.

Beau said:
I have three of those little engines. I put one on my drag bike project and we are in the process of building radio flyer wagon figure 8 bumper cars to race in a parking lot and on the ice this Winter.

Well you certainly have plenty of lakes to choose from in your state :)

they're cool little motors, i snagged this one at a garagesale for like 5 bucks years ago and just now got around to putting it to good use :D would love to see some videos of em in use! and just for fun
9gebuc.jpg

:D

little bumpdate here for you fine people, did some work out in the heat today, got most of the parts i want yanked off the ladies bike and the forks and wheels swapped over to my frame, i need to do a little grinding on my stem to get it to fit in the older forks but everything else went pretty smoothly. for your viewing pleasure
2aifrq9.jpg

more tomorrow!

little teaser, more pictures and details tomorrow, i need some sleep! (working in the garage till 12:30 at night for the win!)
5o9mbp.jpg

OK! here is what the above picture is showing!
eqdyfc.jpg

2e4hi1d.jpg

2yv6ngy.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality. what I've done is cut off the seat tube just above the top tube of the frame and then inserted the handlebar stem in the seat tube, ground off the handlebar clamp, modified the seat clamp to fit, and attached the whole thing together, i still have a little adjustment and tweaking i can do to make it sit a little lower/father back but it is VERY sturdy. i think it will work quite well

..I know this is a forum about bikes... but more of your mk1 Is that a zender kit?

Bikes looking great too man!

Niiiice! Hate to hijack, but we used to own an 84 GTI. Since then ive been a mk1 person. But my dad is more a mk3 kinda guy. Lets just say we get into quite a many arguments over that. :p My dads harlequin is cool and everything, but theres nothing as fun as a little rabbit.

your dad has a harl? color me jealous! pistachio green, ginster yellow, tornado red and chagall blue to be exact! lol. those are probably the rarest mk3s around, he's lucky to have one

Here is the update i promised! first the motor i'm using in detail! sharpie marks are metal that will likely be removed
qpkjgm.jpg

15sa491.jpg

rkph6u.jpg

rjihbc.jpg

2ql4vnc.jpg

will be cleaning up the casting stuff, some dremel work and more filing should get it good looking
4uhv8l.jpg

and just for kicks
2ljoqw5.jpg

v624d4.jpg

To fill in a little detail about the plans for the motor, it will get a little intake and exhaust porting, transfer port will be enlarged (its a nasty cast hole right now) a better carb, somewhere between 15 and 19mm and properly jetted will be added. right now i'm leaning towards a 16mm bing style carb on ebay for 30$. A custom tuned pipe will also be built, specifically for this motor based on the intake and exhaust port timings, port size, rpms and all that stuff (yay javapipe calculator). i will also be replacing the head bolts with better hardware and some other minor tweaks mechanically and cosmetically. todays progress was turning it into a functional bike again! i still have to install the rear brake and get a new cable for the 3 speed hub. time for pics
fxcfa9.jpg

2vtz602.jpg

332nlad.jpg

28upr7l.jpg

2ev9210.jpg

still a long way to go to make it a motorized bike, but its a working bicycle again. fairly comfortable to ride, if you dont mind your knees being in your chest lol.

just bought fiberglass mat and resin, expect exciting things (and more pictures) in a few days!

I've worked with fiberglass a little before, and I'm VERY familiar with working with plastics and body fillers, epoxies and the like. this should be a breeze for me, lay up two halves separately , drill holes for the tank straps and glass in threaded pieces. glass in a brass filler neck and threaded bungs for the fuel line (with petcock) and a sight glass.sand the crap out of the insides and use an epoxy gas tank sealant on both sides separately then one more time after they were bonded together, make sure its sealed up good and not gonna degrade.

on an unrelated note i hope to start doing some careful porting before too long, i'm excited to see what this motor is capable of

Latest posts

Back