My DumpsterMountain Bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bike_zps8jzuezmz.png.html
I found this Mongoose mountain bike by the dumpster of our apartment. It was missing the seat, post, and needed tires, but otherwise seemed okay. I took it to the Austin Bike Farm Co-op and they fixed it up and tuned it for $20. Don't know much about this brand, but for 20 bucks, I can't complain. This is not the first one I have found. I find bikes on a fairly regular basis.

Last edited:
Co-op's are great! We have a couple of Bike rescue organizations here in my area and I like to donate a bit more than they ask --there are a lot of folks who don't have anything to donate when they get something from the coop. I just got a bunch of parts for a similar bike I got from my local Scrapper from Troy Bike Rescue and still spent way less than if I had to go buy new stuff. Best part is it all worked!

I think I gave them $40 instead. I just had them put a 3 speed hub on my Schwinn Typhoon, as well. Sorry about the lack of picture. I don't seem to be able to post pictures from my Photobucket acct. I've tried before and thought maybe I had figured it out this time. No such luck...

Pull up your picture in Photobucket, on the right side of the pic underneath the ads there are 4 lines of code....Go to the last one, and click on it. It should go yellow and say copied. Now go back to your post you are making. Put the cursor where you want the pic,type CONTROL V (Control is a key on the bottom left of the keyboard) and the direct link code will appear. When you preview your post you should see the picture. If not, you may have grabbed the wrong line of code.

Or you can copy and paste the pics URL address into the window that comes up when you click on the yellow rectangle next to the smilie icon on the new thread/post reply form tool bar, then click on insert/embed (I forget which one it sayso_O)

Best of luck. (especially decoding my run-on sentence :crazy:)

Guys, thanks so much. It worked. You have no idea how frustrated I was trying to post that picture!

That "Mtn Bike" is a mtn bike by name only...for riding it on flat trails only....I personally wouldn't actually ride it on any hills b/c the weak components....It's basically a coushy "around town rider"....

That "Mountain Bike" is a mountain bike by name only...for riding it on flat trails only....I personally wouldn't actually ride it on any hills b/c the weak components....It's basically a cushy "around town rider"....

Agreed... The difference between the box store mountain bikes and the real brand name quality ones is like night and day. However you also have it right...they make great around town riders, especially for us oldsters who can't take as much jarring as we used to. I could tell you about a parking curb I ran over the other day but I wouldn't want to embarass myself..the bike came through totally unscathed. My 3 speed or ten speed road bikes would have had serious damage.

Mongoose was once a reputable brand, but now they are good for young kids to bash, or running down to the drugstore. The biggest problem with cheap suspended bikes for me is the annoying lack of damping and little or no pre-load. For 20 bucks, it's ok, no big deal if it breaks or gets stolen, right?

That's the way I look at it. I don't ride as much as I used to and it was initially free so why not? It's the bike equivalent of the 15 year old beater Honda. Cheap and replaceable.

Mongoose was once a reputable brand, but now they are good for young kids to bash, or running down to the drugstore. The biggest problem with cheap suspended bikes for me is the annoying lack of damping and little or no pre-load. For 20 bucks, it's ok, no big deal if it breaks or gets stolen, right?
Don't get me wrong about a free-$20 dumpster bike...it has it's place...

Mongoose is still a VERY reputable brand....They have bikes for ALL ages and price ranges...They make one of the best DH bikes on the market

http://www.mongoose.com/usa/bikes/mtb
out
m15_27.5m_bootr_blk_2_1.1431628268.png

Latest posts

Back