My Elgin Motor-Bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, Its not really a build, But its sure not complete either. So to the gallery it goes! It is a (i believe) 1928 Elgin Motor-bike. It is a crazy conglomeration of decades and bikes. I have some old 27" ten speed wheels, a shimano coaster brake, a sting ray chainring, a selle italia saddle that somehow lost its cover, and many other things. With the new addition of a slowriderz seatpost, My lanky 6'1" self can fit on it! I will update this periodically with new old stuff.

IMG_2629_zps8d2df796.jpg

IMG_20130902_141715_zpsd1d4f76a.jpg

Thanks For looking!

-Josh

Re: My Elgin Motor-Bike

The_Black_Monark said:
Looks cool, and looks like a fun bike to ride!
8)

Thanks! Its my daily rider. I love how much momentum it builds up. I'm riding up a hill, and I realize I start to pass cars! Such a fun bike. :mrgreen:

Right now, I like the skinny look. But eventually I am getting some all white 27s that are maybe a bit wider.

I like how you used a Huffy star sprocket as a 1/2" tribute to the Elgin star sprocket that would have likely been original, but required a skiptooth drivetrain. Sweet ride!

It was actually a random find at a local bike shop. Completely unintentional, but I guess it works! I might eventually go back to skiptooth though. Still have the og chainring!

Joosh said:
...I might eventually go back to skiptooth though. Still have the og chainring!

Stepping into flame suit now :)
While 1" pitch does look cool, 1/2" makes for a better riding bike IMO.
More rollers with less metal over the entire drivetrain: smoother action with lighter weight.

The_Black_Monark said:
Stepping into flame suit now :)
While 1" pitch does look cool, 1/2" makes for a better riding bike IMO.
More rollers with less metal over the entire drivetrain: smoother action with lighter weight.

You have a point. The skiptooth chainring just looks so good!

So a little bit of an update:
I should be ordering a brooks B-67 aged soonish. I think it'll look perfect.

b67_aged_w375_h275_vamiddle_jc95.jpg

The_Black_Monark said:
have a pre-aged Flyer on the Conti; looks great and is very comfortable...hey, why not: off for a ride! :D

Hey, me too! Its been awhile since I've done a real road bike ride.

The_Black_Monark said:
have a pre-aged Flyer on the Conti; looks great and is very comfortable. :D

Hmm. I think I'm going to go with the flyer instead! My skinny but like skinnier saddles.

Well, just bought a big lot of headlights, I hope to get at least some working, and maybe do an LED conversion or two.

Headlight_zps1bd28771.jpg

Got the headlight and generator installed, now I'm going to start cleaning up the brackets and hiding some wires. Photos soon!

Re: My Elgin Motor-Bike. Headlight Installed!

Its looking good!

2013-09-26111307_zpsf6906fcc.jpg

First off, great look!
I am collecting parts to do a similar thing, I lack a frame, which leads to, how does it ride? Is it twitchy? Or super stable?

Latest posts

Back