My first Build: MEGATRON

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I stumbled upon this site after buying an Electra Straight 8 on craigslist. I am now in the process of my first actual build. I got a 50s (I was told) RoadMaster off craigslist that I plan on making a really nice rider out of. I have ordered a 3 speed wheelset, sulkys, bars, stem, and various other whatnots. The bike didn't ride very well when I got it and needed work, but it was rideable. So... here are the progress pics so far:

EDIT: Name Added... all builds have to have a name, right? If it ends up getting painted the color I am thinking it will have the Megatron look!

When I got it:
6D30893C-orig.jpg

Apart:
1A9977EA-orig-1.jpg

The crank was bent and that made it pretty difficult for this rookie to get out:
61700965.jpg

It has now been blasted and you can see the rear rack I plan on adding
5BDB8F00-orig.jpg

Getting the mock up done for the tank insert
F5588755-orig.jpg

All the blasting is getting done by my cousin and good friend... without him I would still be grinding/ sanding/ cussing and trying to figure out how to get a tank in there with no welder or skills!

So... hopefully it turns into something cool, but if not at least I learned a few things for next time! :lol:

Re: My first Build: NAME (TBD)

Hey Crump,

It's looking good!
What colors are you thinking?
What type of tank are you making?

Good Luck and Keep up the good work!

Re: My first Build: NAME (TBD)

Thanks... not positive on color yet, nothing too exciting. Black or maybe a titanium/ dark silver color.

I am just getting a panel put in, not really a "tank", as it won't have an inside.

Got a couple things in the mail today and primed and painted a few small pieces. My boy Shane got the tank panel stitched in. So far so good!

4C88B6CE-orig.jpg

Thanks... I hope it turns out as good as I picture it.
... and yes, that shop is awesome. I don't have access to it or skills to use the tools. Thanks to my couisin who works there for his time and skill.

Getting some things done... most parts are here now. I need to get the frame back and see if the 3 speed rear wheel will fit without much trouble.

Working on my new seatpost, got the angle a little better than in this picture, but you get the idea.

5872DB8F-orig.jpg

Got a head badge and chain tensioners thanks to Zedsn.

0594A83E-orig.jpg

Frame is painted... got the headbadge on. Had a few minor issues I'm still trying to work out, but I guess that is the way with all of it.

944A10E8-orig.jpg

No rear tire yet... waiting on my Sulky to get here. Making progress I guess. Found out that I can either keep the rack on the back or add the "lay back" post I made. Not both...

0E9E4C19-orig.jpg

B33FDE76-orig.jpg

BE207259-orig.jpg

Sorry about the phone pics... once I get it finished I will get the good camera out and snap some shots.

Ha! :mrgreen: I'm still working on the kickstand!

Yeah... that car is a BEAST. 505 hp Z06... love that car. It belonged to my step father who passed away in April.

Ran into a problem last night... can't get my stem in the fork far enough. I noticed when I got the bike that the stem seemed like it was sticking up pretty high, but didn't think much of it. I have tried everything to figure out what is stopping the stem and can find nothing. I looked down it with a light and rubbed a long screwdriver in there to feel for anything and can't feel anything that should stop the stem, but anything very large stops at the same spot. I even tried to hammer an old seatpost into it, but it stopped at the same spot and is now stuck. I thought it might have been rust build up, but it won't budge.

A replacement is on the way... then prime and paint for the fork and back in business.

Also... my tires from Sulky seem to be taking FOREVER, but they pushed back delivery again.

New fork is here... got the old paint off of it last night, if the rain stops I will try to prime it tonight. The Sulky tires came in. Not sure if I will run one up front or not, but here you can see the rear mounted. Not a lot of room left, but it fits! :shock:

8DF8BD23-orig.jpg

0DE4E959-orig.jpg

088913C7-orig.jpg

Yeah... this being my first rebuild I have made some stupid mistakes. It has cost me a little extra money and a little extra time, but I'll be more efficient next time... I hope.

I am assuming that it is one of two things that are making the stem not fit.

1.) It's not the original stem
2.) The steerer tube is slightly bent

nice work so far.

Latest posts

Back