My first Rat project part 1 of 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Had drove by one of my neighbors houses and saw them pitching some older bikes. When I stopped and took a look, we started chatting, and he said hold on, if you like vintage bikes, I got something for you. Goes to the garage, and comes back with 2 matching serial # folding bikes from the 60s or very early 70s. They were pretty bad condition, rotted out 3 speed sturmey archer hubs, chains, cables, etc all in unuseable condition, a few missing pieces.

Here is what they looked like when I got em.

Tried to sell them for a brief time, but then got to brainstorming one day and decided I would redo them. I do a fair amount of camping in the summer, and having some bikes permanently in the trailer is convenient.

After a few breaks down in the basement to get my brainstorming going. I figured it out. Transformers bikes. I was a huge fan back when I was a kid in the 80s. I figured that #1 it fits the folding bike theme, and #2 it keeps the matching serial bikes together as a pair. One for Decepticons, the other (upcoming) as an Autobot, which I tentatively have named Rat Rodimus Prime after the autobots leader in movie and season 3.

I sourced out some parts for 2 donor bikes. The wheels come from some kids Mongoose BMX bike, and the bars/tires/stem/seat came from a Bratz cruiser. I have yet to get the parts to refinish the Autobots one, and I do plan on doing it abit more elaborate.

Here is what I have mocked up so far.

Still a couple of decals I'm waiting on, and a purple brake cable.

I wish I could have used the existing rear racks they had, but the banana seat came on the Brats bike, so Im gonna try that out for now, until I can hopefully find some other rat looking seat that would fit the theme that I could use the rack with (firewood, beer, ice, showering stuff, etc)

Any input or suggestions ?
I toyed with the idea of using the springer forks from the bratz, but without a matching fork for the other, I'm hesitant.

Latest posts

Back