My first skip tooth

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some really good input from some folks at he CABE.
http://www.thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth ... #post11486
Looks like a 'late '30s Cleveland Welding.
This dude referred me to a pic of a '39 Roadmaster out of a '39 catalogue.
Looks pretty close!

oldnewWF.gif

What really blows me away is the lack of a chain-guard when new.
I smell a lawsuit!!! Hahahaha :lol:
So my bike is pretty much complete then.
Now that I take a closer look at mine there are no signs of any attachment points at all.
I need to find an old style stand.

Soak the chain in Marvels Mystery Oil for a couple of weeks and then gently use a wire brush to scrub off what grunge remains and then resoak for another few days, I've rescued what I thought were 2 really gone skippy chains, 50 + years old and they work freakin' awesome. Patience is key with ol' rusty's. I commend you Sir for doing what so many other's would deem ludacris and a complete waste of time. Here, you are among the ones who see the vision and feel the desire resurrect that which has been cast out by others. I tip my hat to you.

MercuryMan

MercuryMan said:
I commend you Sir for doing what so many other's would deem ludacris and a complete waste of time.
Yeah...like my wifee! Hahahahahaha :lol:
Thanks for the tip!
I haven't been able to do squat to it lately....now that I finally have it.
My little plank longboard bidness has been taking ALL my time...then there's my "real" job too.

The first thing I have to do is soak the rear wheel adjusters so I can get things apart.
I figured I'd be soaking the chain in something.
I like the Marvel mystery Oil idea and I have patients to spare.

I've also got a wild hair to throw in on the Rat Build-Off.
I should probably just quit my "real" job...retire early. :p

Thanks guys!
I'm running behind, but I'm still here.

Got some parts and got the chain off.

100_6808.jpg

It's been soaking a couple days in Marvel Mystery oil.

100_6815.jpg

Fresh tires in a black wall.....never been much of a white-wall guy.

100_6816.jpg

$2.00 and made in the USA.....heck yeah!

I also bought a couple spokes, rim liners, tubes and some semi-period correct, cruiser handle bars that I'm not sure I like.

Things are progressing slowly.
Too many irons in too many fires.

HAH!
I knew somebody would notice that.
I took it out to show my buddy Hank at Helotes Bicycle...a dude that really know old bikes...and asked about getting the chain off.
We located the master-link, but I guess he thought it was too rusty and would damage it doing the chain bend technique or whatever(?), because he went and got his chain tool and just took any link apart.
I didn't even notice until later.
I will see him again and ask him about it.

The Marvel Mystery Oil is doing a nice job.

I love that bike.

Mine got ridden last night, for the first time since at least 1972.

100_7332.jpg

100_7329.jpg

100_7336.jpg

100_7335.jpg

100_7328.jpg

Rides pretty good!
Fresh tire, tubes, rim strips and a three new spokes.
Went through all bearings, trying not to disturb the patina much.
It was amazingly cooperative and very good condition for sitting outside for all that time.
The chain soaked for weeks in Marvel Mystery oil...I went through every link....could use a gasoline bath maybe still.
The handle bars are from the PAU OPER, which took patina to a whole other level.
Never again will either stay outside. :D
It will stay looking like this for a little while.
Something will be done to the seat.
I want and old rear kickstand.
The old basket will probably go back on.
Polish the front hub.
Try to straighten the fender brackets a bit.
Flopped the chainring...I think it will polish out, but the crank is skanky.

Good times!

Nice job. Great save.

Definitely a Cleveland Welding built bike! I'd say a 38-40. The sprocket is usually seen on CWC WF's. Now, Schwinn, Shelby, Colson,and Dayton all had similar looking frames in this era! BUT, the ears for a drop stand on the rear axle stays are a CWC item. Also, I don't think Western had any other co's. building their bikes at that time. I have a near identical bike, but it had one of the "upside down" roadmaster badges, like a Fleet Wing. badge was gone, but the outline was still there! Cool ride! ~Adam

100_7567.jpg

Made some more progress on my old Flyer!
Cleaned some stuff up...BUT NOT TOO MUCH! :lol:
Re-mounted the basket.
Some skateboard hardware was used in place of some bailing wire like before.
Cleaned up the chainring a bit as well as the exterior of the front hub.

100_7525.jpg

The next area I'll give attention will be the seat.
I want to leave the patina, but reupholster with some distressed leather...maybe black, like out of an old Chrysler. 8)

I rolled the skippy and my son rode PAU OPER to the Walgreens (pharmacist/ store) today.
Both bikes were a big hit with the septuagenarian-set that was shopping there.
I fielded questions about them as I was un-chaining them from a wheel-chair parking sign.
I've been after them to get a proper bike-rack....the store, not the seniors. :lol:

Love it! dude try running the seat bare metal, thats how my build bike is, Suprisingly comfy. I love it tho, take the seat off, spin the seat post around, then put the seat on, it will put ur seat farther back i think the rides more comfy. Either way that bike is kick butt. I love the sprocket too. :)

100_7998.jpg

Took my skippy on a downtown bike ride back in September with about 80 other freaks on any sort of bike you can think of.
It did really well and was a big hit.
I love this bike.

2897737715_46f3b1bf76_b.jpg

Life is good.

I've got a chainguard that *might* work on your bike. You might have to reposition the front bracket. It looks like it's from the same period. It's rough but cheap. PM me if you're interested. B607

DSC03313.jpg

DSC03312.jpg

DSC03314.jpg

Nice!
I'll keep that in mind, but I'm pretty sure this bike didn't come with a chain guard.
Perhaps for some other project of mine.
Thanks.

B607 if blaster don't want that chain guard how much do you want for it I have a frame just like that that I need a c/g for t/y Tony

Latest posts

Back