my first

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I some how ended up on this site researching some bike stuff, this was a few months ago. I have to say that I love the bikes being built in here and has inspired me to build my own. So I had this brand x lady beach cruiser and just started messing around with it.

I welded in some bars to make it into a mens, made a tank, modified some forks from a newer stingray cruiser, made the seat post, used an excercise bike sprocket, extended the handle bars. oh yea, I learned to weld on this bike but by no means would I call myself a welder. Next step is to find a proper chain cover and paint it. I was initially thinking of doing a vintage look (grayish) but after seeing Rat Rods "The PUB" I may do something similar. You guys have suggestions for colors? Gotta say thanks to everybody for giving me the customizing bug.

img0049gzx.jpg

some grips and some accersories and id say thats done oh and maby some pinstriping on the tank i like the colors of it so please dont paint it or atleast paint it up good 8)

deorman said:
I'd do just about any traditional motor color, with perimeter striping on the tank.

I'd say Chevy orange with antique white stripes.

Make it seafoam green-blue, old skool like cars from the 40's with cream and silver accents and a sweet pin-up girl or old fighter plane decal for the tank

img0342ql.jpg

It's been a while since I worked on this but its close to ready, just in time for the rainy season :roll:

Got a Sturmey 3 speed coaster brake hub, laced it to the rear. Still need to figure how I'm going to make and mount a shifter unless someone has a shifter for dirt cheap :D
Added a chain cover to it.
I'm thinking of getting the sprocket, crank and fork tubes rechromed.
As far as paint I was thinking of sanding it all down bare and letting it rust over.

The tank was made by making two wooden patterns. I sandwiched sheet metal between the two blocks and folded over the ends.

Very nice, cool looking bike!
could you post some pics of the wooden sandwich thing :D ? I´d love to see that...

So this was my first attempt at the tank. I was trying to get a rounded look. It was really hard to pull off and those clamps left a big dents in the metal so I scrapped the entire thing.
img0029oo.jpg

I don't have both wood patterns anymore but basically it's two of those. The sheet metal is sandwiched and that way it doesn't mess up the side of the tank. THe ends are just folded over. You can see my bad welding, obviously this will not hold pressure. You can also see my bad welding on the frame itself. I've never welded before so I learned welding this bike, lets just hope it stays together when I ride it :lol:
img0375lb.jpg

Being that it's a womans bike it has a tall head tube so I've thought about cutting down the top and bottom part of it. I feel like it just looks too tall there. Also like it needs some more rake in the front. I may cut off that front piece give it some rake and extend it out another inch. Then that means I would have to make a new tank! :x Baby steps... Right now I need a shifter. I plan on mounting it on the seat stay and I have a Fat Tire beer tap to use as a shifter.

Oh yea.. thanks for the comments.

ill give you hint i learned from doing bedsides and quarter panels.....take some paint sticks and cut them down to about 2" long then clamp over those....itll disperse the pressure of the vise grips and not leave big dents :wink:
nice job

Thanks Max, that tank building is really good, I´m gonna have to try that out :wink:
I´m in the same spot regarding welds, just keeping my fingers crossed hoping the hole thing wont crack. :D

Latest posts

Back