My latest fixed gear

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you actually ride these things, but they are way easier to get around on than those old cruisers and they can be pretty darn stylish as well! I've built quite a few of these over the years and this is my most recent. I build at least one per summer just for myself and half a dozen more for customers. Custom paint by yours truly, Alex Wheelset, 3ttt stem, Origin 8 crankset and seat and Selle leather handlebar tape.

091211124249.jpg

sweet. ive got one and i love it. i have and 10 speed santa fe. ur bike doesnt have brakes, what do you use to stop?!?!?

Peatbog said:
Nice bike. The fork is especially cool on that bike.

I build similar bikes--just not so many of them!

What's your opinion of Origin8 products? I think the stuff looks pretty good, but I would have to order it without seeing it.

I like the Origin 8 stuff. I've used a lot of their handlebars, wheels, seats, pedals, cranksets and have really like everything, especially for the price. The one product I have of theirs I don't like are their SPD pedals. Kinda sloppy. As far as looks, it definitely looks better in person.

Minime- It's a fixed gear, meaning it operates like a big wheel. If the wheels are moving the cranks are moving. You simply stop by slowing down your legs and there is no freewheeling.

ohdeebee said:
Minime- It's a fixed gear, meaning it operates like a big wheel. If the wheels are moving the cranks are moving. You simply stop by slowing down your legs and there is no freewheeling.

Does that mean you can ride in reverse?

Yes!

Thanks Skip!

I could peel the decals off, but I sell these wheels at the shop so its nice for customers to see that I ride the same stuff that I sell.

Is that bike built of 100% new parts? I'm wondering... (Assuming it's all new stuff) What would something like that cost? Not necessarily that exact bike but something like it. I know nothing about these bikes, their parts, or what they cost.
The more I see them the more I like them. Besides they are very popular around here so I could "fit in" if I got/built one.

highship said:
Is that bike built of 100% new parts? I'm wondering... (Assuming it's all new stuff) What would something like that cost? Not necessarily that exact bike but something like it. I know nothing about these bikes, their parts, or what they cost.
The more I see them the more I like them. Besides they are very popular around here so I could "fit in" if I got/built one.

All of the parts on this build are new. A typical build like this (depending on the paint job) will cost between $400 and $500 depending on the parts chosen.

that came out great. After selling the two single speeds I had (I don't do the fixed thing), I'm building two more.

Sweet bike really toying on building one myself cept we got some nasty hills round here to much walkin it

I've seen a lot of really nice fixies and this is one of the nicest. The problem I find with fixies is no one likes brakes, but with bad knees not having brakes is just asking for troubles.

i had a felt curbside i bought before I knew anything bicycle mechanic wise .. it would be a lot cheaper to buy a old road bike and convert it. I never road it fixed gear I always thought that was suicide but the simplicity of the single speed commuter I really enjoyed. Will be building one in the near future, I wanna do a 3 speed internal hub and give it the whole "fixie" single speed look.

Latest posts

Back