My Motorized Rat Project (I have brakes!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be my first build.

I still don't know if I'm going to make it a board track racer style bike or a cruiser. I'll have to mess around and see what I like better.

CIMG0616-1.jpg

This is the way it was when I got it.

Re: My First Rat Project

Well, I've changed my mind and I am going for a motorized bike project.

I am going to go by the vintage plans I had posted before
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17367

I even have a engine ready for it too.
A rebuilt 1953 Briggs and Stratton 6S. This little thing has 1.5hp of fury! :D
CIMG0628.jpg

The parts I won't need will be pulled off and either used on my Road Master project or put up for sale.

Re: My First Rat Project (Changed my mind)

This oughta be interesting.

When I was a kid there was a neighbor that did pretty much the same motor conversion, he must have followed the same article. I always thought it was pretty cool till I got a Rupp Roadster mini bike, then I was ruined.

Re: My First Rat Project (motorized)

Past the point of no return, started fabrication.
Couldn't have picked a better day either... :x 95 degrees and humid!

I got the double rim welded together, waiting for grinding and cleanup. Also I have the frame widened in the back.
Due to the weather I've been rushing a little bit and it shows. The back end is a little off but not far enough that a few adjustments cant fix.
The drive system is planned out and I am going to be using hand brake levers from a old Mountain bike as the clutch and throttle.

I still have to drag out the little motor and get it running. Its been a few months since the last time I started it.

CIMG0693.jpg

CIMG0694.jpg

CIMG0696.jpg

Re: My First Rat Project (motorized) Update 6-24

Nice! I was thinking about following that too, but the widening of the rear of the frame scared me away. Seems like it'd be pretty bendy, but hopefully it works for ya! Cool old B&R engine too!

hotfoot said:
Nice! I was thinking about following that too, but the widening of the rear of the frame scared me away. Seems like it'd be pretty bendy

So far it seems like its even more rigid on this bike with the mods than it was stock. I have some more cutting, welding, and reinforcing to do. I have to move the seat post tube thing back to fit the engine because its all one unit. Can't take the gas tank off or anything. BUT! The engine is running and tuned up.

i have built a couple of motorbikes from scratch. i don't know if you have thought about going over the factory welds to reinforce them, but do! if you can braze them it is better, brazing is softer and less likely to break-crack. also, are you going to run a springer? they absorb alot of the vibration when your running 30+mph. you can take the gas tank off, but you will have to find a carb from like a push mower, i run a techumse(spelling) carb with the adjustable main jet. you will have to fabricate an intake to bolt it up, but would probably be worth it rather than moving the seat tube. then you could run a whizzer type gas tank on the frame.
100_2001.jpg
100_4383.jpg
not trying to tell you what to do, i've just built a few and know some things you may run in to. let me know if i can help in anyway! :D

:shock: :shock: :shock: Those bikes are awesome! How did you get the pulley on the rear spokes?

Also, as it turns out I don't have to move the seat post or anything, i was just putting the engine on wrong :lol:

the rear wheel pulleys are whizzer pulleys. they have pieces on the back side of the pulleys that are threaded and the screws go in from the front and sandwhich the spokes in between. i can get a close up pic if you would like. you can find those pulleys on ebay pretty regularly or on the whizzer website.

Looks good Mark....glad to see you got a welder finally :D

MarksA-C said:
HaHaHa, thanks dude! 8)
I've had a welder for a while, about 2 years now, and my welds are finally starting to show improvement! :lol:

Shows how long it's been since we "chatted" huh :roll:

Still have my mig, it's just up in Michigan.....in storage :roll:

wvining said:
MarksA-C said:
HaHaHa, thanks dude! 8)
I've had a welder for a while, about 2 years now, and my welds are finally starting to show improvement! :lol:

Shows how long it's been since we "chatted" huh :roll:

Still have my mig, it's just up in Michigan.....in storage :roll:

Don't you still have the monster Lincoln arc welder too? 8)

Re: My First Rat Project (motorized) Update 6-29

Yepper, the old copper wound Lincoln.

And, of course, the 220v Hobart mig :D

Well, I haven't posted much but I've made progress on the overall building of the bike.

I have the frame all welded up and the engine motor plate in. In the pictures I'm test fitting the engine and its all good clearance wise. I might have to add some weight on left side to help balance the motors weight but I went for a small downhill ride (Down my street, shallow grade) and the balance isn't really all that far off surprisingly.

I still need to make the clutch setup, the throttle (Using a brake lever off of a mountain bike), the foot clutch (Maybe a hand lever?), and the brakes (Most likely going to be foot powered). The rest is little things like exhaust, fenders, and a secondary gas can (Going to be cool!).

CIMG0731.jpg

CIMG0732.jpg

CIMG0733.jpg

CIMG0734.jpg

oh thats cool! i like how the second rim is the pulley for the rear wheel! where do you plan on getting a belt to fit?

Latest posts

Back