My new FATTIE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
made my first real changes to the bike..untill now i have been VERY happy with it and have only changed the grips and added a kick stand.After putting some miles on this bike i have realized i do not and will not ever use the 3rd chainring and it has been tearing up my pants, so i installed a bash guard in place of the third ring and adjusted the hi limit on the front derailer so you cant shift past 2nd ring so it is now a 2 x 9 so here is some pics of the install and a couple of riding pics. oh and my kids have named it THE HULK.. LOL

I posted on MTBR about what kickstand and where to mount it on my Origin8 Crawler....and felt quickly humiliated as I was chastised immediately for such heresy.

One comment was "Only Kids & Girls bikes have kickstands!"

needless to say, I either lay it over on the drive side as recommended, or lean it up against something now.

I posted on MTBR about what kickstand and where to mount it on my Origin8 Crawler....and felt quickly humiliated as I was chastised immediately for such heresy.

One comment was "Only Kids & Girls bikes have kickstands!"

needless to say, I either lay it over on the drive side as recommended, or lean it up against something now.

If you're not overly concerned about being cool and hip don't worry about what other people say or do. I run kickstands on all my bikes and couldn't care less if people snicker and ridicule me for it. I simply do what I like and works for me and kickstands are handy for me. If they would work for you then be your own man and run one.

I've gotten pretty used to no kickstand....there is a legitimate reason not to have a kickstand, as higher end bikes are not engineered to support the weight of the bike on it's chainstays etc...as well as it can hang up on obstacles while riding..

I've gotten pretty used to no kickstand....there is a legitimate reason not to have a kickstand, as higher end bikes are not engineered to support the weight of the bike on it's chainstays etc...as well as it can hang up on obstacles while riding..
I wouldn't want to ride a mountain bike that can't support its own weight on the chain stays

Very understandable not running a kickstand while mountain biking. But I also agree that I don't want to own any bikes that can't support their own weight on the chain stays.

Question: Did yours come with green rim tape, or did you install it? I did my front rim last nite with some orange "Duck Tape" that matches the paint perfectly. The black rim strip that came in mine is very hard to deal with! I also sealed up the drill outs with clear silicone. Took the better part of 3 hrs working the glue into the edges. Now for the back rim.

Question: Did yours come with green rim tape, or did you install it? I did my front rim last nite with some orange "Duck Tape" that matches the paint perfectly. The black rim strip that came in mine is very hard to deal with! I also sealed up the drill outs with clear silicone. Took the better part of 3 hrs working the glue into the edges. Now for the back rim.
Yes mine came with the green rim strips

Looked for the zebra strip orange after your earlier comment about it. Wal Mart had this, and I almost bought the Superman print. Ha! Have you had the tire/tube off yet? If not you are in for a surprise. My factory rim strip is not the usual rubber stretchy stuff, but instead a fabric of some kind. Tight as all get-out. I don't know how they got it on there, and don't think you could get it off without destroying it.

Reading back thru this thread, I just noticed this .... Is there really a recommendation out there to lay your bike down on the Drive Side????? Why take a chance on bending the deraileur when you can lay it down on the non-drive? Am I missing something?

Its easier to bend a brake rotor than a derailer...
hmmm, obvious this is my first disk brake bike... thanx

not to argue, but the disks are inside the frames, the dr is hanging out in the breeze..... ;^)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back