my road bike project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like bikes alot...all bikes.
i love the look of fixies but where i live is super hilly making them impractical for me...so i have started building myself a road bike, taking the fixie styling but adding a few gears.

A few months ago I picked this steal framed MTB of our local auction site for $1. It was a mess!

this is the actuall image the seller used:
3651820493_855f048c18_o.jpg

i stripped it down totally and have started in the last few days to build it up.
this is where im at so far:
3990116512_bbc3b126d2_o.jpg

the wheel set came of a ladies town hybrid i picked up for $22 bux. also using the rear derailier and the shifter/break leaver.
I plan to run the rear gears only and strip the extra front two cogs....thing is i have never pulled this type of crank apart...so that will be a learning experiance.

Im really likeing how its starting to look...im gonna keep it white and introduce some yellow...dont normally like yellow but i think it will work on this bike.

picked these up...two pairs for $14:
3990126412_09bbb6dd18_o.jpg

will spend a few hours with my grinder to take off all the un needed lugs etc and then powder coat i think.

are you going to use the canti brakes? will they still reach the rims being that it looks like you are switching from 26" rims to 700c?

You can probably pull the rings off without removing the crank. If not, a puller that threads into the arm from the lbs is not expensive, and way better than beating it or scarring it with gear puller. :|

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
are you going to use the canti brakes? will they still reach the rims being that it looks like you are switching from 26" rims to 700c?

good spotting! no i hope to get a nice simple oldschool looking one...any tips on what i need to look for are more than welcome.

deorman said:
You can probably pull the rings off without removing the crank. If not, a puller that threads into the arm from the lbs is not expensive, and way better than beating it or scarring it with gear puller. :|

sweet ill look into that.

instead of the cantis, you might be able to run caliper brakes if there are holes at the top of the fork (drill one?), and in the cross brace tube of the seat stays.

They make brake adaptors for 26" to 700cc, but they are hard as heck to come by for a reasonable price. Trust me, I've been looking for a couple months now.

Latest posts

Back