My vintage MTB collection

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I saw a Slingshot available on CL over the weekend and pretty much had to buy it. Then when I got home I decided I had to take a picture with some of the other recent and not so recent MTB finds.

Slingshot (not positive on the year yet)
Amp B4 (~1995)
Proflex Beast (1996)
Trek Y-22 (1996)

782065d1363624210-took-herd-out-group-photo-weekend-885688_10200944922568563_925537951_o.jpg

I grew up riding/racing mountain bikes in the 90's and these were some of my favorites back then.

Voyager Al said:
no downtube on that yellow bike???
No. It had 2 cables and springs. A flexer is clamped between the rear triangle and the front,,,,, uh beam? tube.... The front half.
While unconventional, it did work for some! My Dad raced BMX with us kids only he ran the OM flyer class. Old dude had a sling shot and was very fast, beat Dad on his Torker 26!
I have a old friend that has serveral 20" Slingshot bikes, he raced them also, did well but, Cam could have raced a square flat tire one handle bar bike and won...

interesting.
You are in New Port Richey? I have a friend down there. He rides motorcycles,bicycles, and Jeeps. Belongs to LOJ. Neat area. Lots to do.

Voyager Al said:
interesting.
You are in New Port Richey? I have a friend down there. He rides motorcycles,bicycles, and Jeeps. Belongs to LOJ. Neat area. Lots to do.
I am, and there is tons of stuff to do down Hwy. 19, most dangerous state hwy in the world, but it's there for the brave!
Actually after riding in New York, Chicago, Detoilet, and Cleveland/Cinci., it's a cake ride. Watch over your back, stay out of the ROAD! and just push on down south, there are bicycle trails, tons of motel/hotel, restraunts, and beaches. Great place to live, terrible place to work!

Very cool collection! Brings back memories. I remember working at a bike shop selling Cannondale and the rep came by with their first rear suspension bike. It was like '89 or '90. Black with neon pink swing arm. It rode like a wet noodle. Terrible. That would be a cool bike to own. I thought back to that bike when I was in a shop recently and Cannondale has a bike that only has one fork arm. :shock: Innovators, I tell ya!

can you post some closeups of the slingshot ? i dont think ive ever seen one :shock:

subadrew said:
Well I saw a Slingshot available on CL over the weekend and pretty much had to buy it. Then when I got home I decided I had to take a picture with some of the other recent and not so recent MTB finds.

Slingshot (not positive on the year yet)
Amp B4 (~1995)
Proflex Beast (1996)
Trek Y-22 (1996)

782065d1363624210-took-herd-out-group-photo-weekend-885688_10200944922568563_925537951_o.jpg

I grew up riding/racing mountain bikes in the 90's and these were some of my favorites back then.

I love the Slingshot! Its insane! I had a Beast but traded it away, I still have this though.

streetbeast001.jpg

Here's a slightly closer pic of the slingshot
72346_10200945033891346_758534086_n.jpg

NICE 4500 you got there. I buy pretty much any proflex I can find around here if the price is right. Probably owned 10-15 of them over the years. I actually got the Beast for free from a friend. I've also probably have 5-10 trek y's. I just like the weird bikes from that era.

Crash, are you thinking about one of these?
7118810995_bb94cd533e_b.jpg

The cannondales from then were pretty rigid IIRC

Latest posts

Back