My weekend finds, Colson, Monark and Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Finally had a nice score this weekend. After going over the parts there's a few things that seem off to me, maybe those more knowledgeable will shed some light.
c3sw.jpg

First up is a Wards Hawthorne, not sure if it's H.P. Snyder or CWC. Non original parts are paint, front fork, wheels (rear bendix mexico hub and very large spokes), cranks and chainring, seat and likely bars and stem.
gyr3.jpg

yv74.jpg

6vr5.jpg

1so2.jpg

There's an EA horn button under there

f68t.jpg

7lub.jpg

gjo3.jpg

e3hp.jpg

I originally answered the ad for this Monark Roadster. It has original paint (whats the best way to remove surface rust from paint?) but not original wheels (rear hub is a Perry England two star). Everything else seems original, I'll just polish this up and keep it as it came (probably different tires to make it rideable).
2ety.jpg

9lqp.jpg

4kpf.jpg

4bl9.jpg

Next is a Colson LWB (long wheel base) badged as a True Value Roadway. So this is a 1936-37 which is the only years the LWB was made, from what I can tell. I'd love to restore this one. The rear wheel is original but not the front, seat not original and a few other things missing or wrong like the whole thing covered in house paint.
c6nc.jpg

gg8c.jpg

suiq.jpg

In the deal was included a Sears Free Spirit (low end Puch) that I'll likely make a SS out of
uazd.jpg

The deal was I had to take everything at once so I got a new chain guard and fenders, also a Wald front basket
ds6v.jpg

Also stopped at a couple older bike shops and picked up this stuff for $50 total
akbj.jpg

First bike is a post '39 CWC built Hawthorne Comet...had it been pre-"39 would of had a straight down tube...kool...P 8)

Pappy said:
First bike is a post '39 CWC built Hawthorne Comet...had it been pre-"39 would of had a straight down tube...kool...P 8)

Awesome, thanks! Looks to me to be a 40-41 since at least in 39 they had a different horn placement and my EA laboratories tank horn still has nylon wire wrapping. I would love to have a picture of one with original paint, can't find anything 100% original from that year. This works out well since I have a lot of prewar CWC parts to finish this up nicely.

bebopblu said:
I think a little polishing compound will remove most surface rust and bring up the color on that original paint...nice score !!!

I tried a little in an area with both paint and rust, paint looked great, rust was still there, should I scrub harder?

panelman said:
Very cool bikes. I still love that Monark!

Kreep said:
Nice to meet you guys on Sat.! had a blast. Again,very cool finds!
-Kreep-

You too, we both had a great time, even if the find delayed us from starting the ride on time.

If just compound did not work...try the compound with some ULTRA FINE steel wool....I sometimes use the steel wool with a little WD40 and that seems to work well...post photos when that bike is done!!!

Nice color combo on the Monark! Like blu said, 0000 steel wool with WD-40 and then chase it with Meguiars color-x and make that baby pop. I wouldn't write off the wheels as incorrect just yet. I think this is the middleweight follow-up to the Super Deluxe ballooners, probably around 56-57. I'm not sure what type of rims their middleweights came with but painted drop centers wouldn't be out of the question. Also, the english imported hubs had been gaining steam around this time, so it could be all correct. Monarks aren't my forte, but this is just speculation :wink: dig around a bit before you go spending money.

Hawthorne appears CWC built and with that serial number, I'd venture to say it's a late prewar bike, 1941 would be my guess.

Thanks for all the replies!

I think 56-7 sounds right for the Monark but I haven't done much research on that one yet. I have tested a couple spots and it will clean up nicely. I used a scotch bright pad and then rubbing compound, I'll finish it with polishing compound then wax. I plan on leaving all the parts on it and getting new tires and recovering the seat. Not spending money on this one, just time

The Hawthorne could be a 1941 and it certainly CWC. I have a whole CWC prewar groupset and a fork with apeaked front fender. That should bring it mostly back to the right period for parts. Then I'll refinish the whole thing.

The Colson is absolutely a 1936. The frame was only available for two years and in 36 they came with Wald rounded fenders and no date code on the BB, in 37 they had peaked fenders and a date code. I just ordered a Colson drop stand with clip and glass reflector. Not sure I want an original long spring seat. I just need a cross brace handlebar, different stem and the original type of front wheel and I'll completely restore this one. I found some red paint under the front and back so I think the original paint was solid, like the catalog picture below.

colson1936.jpg

Machine Age Victim said:
I found some red paint under the front and back so I think the original paint was solid, like the catalog picture below.

Never trust an artist rendering. You'd be better off researching original painters since they usually had some form of alternate details, be it a dart or pinstriping. Also, any secondary color could have been over the base red and been the first thing to fade away.

Looking forward to seeing all of these done up. I try to stay away from repaints but that Colson would have been a no-brainer 8)

I've got a bunch of literature on Colson's. I have several. No doubt this is a 36 like you said. Let me know if you want to sell

Thank you! Bikesnbuses hooked me up with a bunch of '36 material, including the catalog page for the double bar motor bike. I don't know how much more would be out there.

You're about 3rd in line if I decide to sell :) I've sourced all the original part except for the front new departure/drop center front wheel. This will be getting a complete restoration as it's one of the prewar bikes that actually fits me.

Latest posts

Back