Name Change already....Ethyl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Unlike my RRBO4 Bike, I will post the final pictures of it before I sell it. This is my starting point a prewar Colson Frame that sat outside for years in a pile of rusty frames before I found it. I am going to keep it real simple, a plain and simple Rat Rod. I do have some cool ideas/parts lined up for it, like a Huge 1918 Columbia 1/2" pitch sprocket and making my own fork and saddle bags. Thats all you get for now........

IMG_0295.jpg

After I washed the bike all the surface rust came off and now no longer a "Rustbucket"
IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

Can't believe it all I used was Windex and a towel to scrub the mud off of it.

Chain ring is from a 1918 Columbia Moto-bike rare 1/2" pitch 60 tooth check out the crazy rim under the teeth,

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

Stripped off all the Rust and Paint today, now trying to figure out a color scheme, my rust patina washing off, screwed me a little, just wasn't planning on painting it.

IMG_0294-1.jpg

IMG_0295-1.jpg

even cleaned the rest of the chain ring off

IMG_0298.jpg

what did you use to get that chainring so clean? i got a crankset and handlebars that are pretty rusty...tell me your secret! please...! :D

can't wait to see this finished bike! lookin good so far

Baby Andrew said:
what did you use to get that chainring so clean? i got a crankset and handlebars that are pretty rusty...tell me your secret! please...! :D

can't wait to see this finished bike! lookin good so far

The old Nickle plating was flaking off and the rust was under it, so I just took it down to bare metal with a Festool Rotex Sander and some 120 grit. I really just want to prep it for paint.

can't wait to see this finished bike! lookin good so far[/quote]

Schweetcruisers said:
Baby Andrew said:
The old Nickle plating was flaking off and the rust was under it, so I just took it down to bare metal with a Festool Rotex Sander and some 120 grit. I really just want to prep it for paint.

thanks! ill have to find someone with a good sander to use so i can prep mine for painting too, although im still debating with what i wanna do to the bike. anyways, thanks again :D

So heres the deal with this build, as of today the bike still looks the same and has not progressed. Do to my current work load I am not busy enough to afford to build this the way I want to, and too busy to find the time to build it. I also decided that since its more of a RatRod and not a streached or re-worked bike I have decided to cancel this build and save it for RRBBO5! :p Keep up the good work on the builds guys and I'll see you at the voting! :D

Latest posts

Back