Need Help Aquiring Solid Single Speed Bikes for Rental (Worksman)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the advice guys, the guy from the city is going to Virginia Beach on Friday to pick up about 20 bikes, not sure on a "bulk" rate he may be getting, but these Fuji bikes are nice. I wouldn't mind having a couple. They were rental bikes that were used 1 season. I told him I suggested that we swap the chainrings out for 36t rings for easier pedaling on the not-flat canal train. I may get paid to do the work, I just need to source a bunch of decent 36t sprockets.

While I've yet to use the NYC Bikeshare, I've read a lot of accounts online that complain about availability of bikes, and the state of disrepair they're sometimes found in. Of course, some folks will complain no matter how good they have it, but if NYC spent thousands on each of those bikes, they got ripped off. In my experience, when "no expense is spared", you're not going to be running Nexus 3speeds. (Nothing against Nexus 3 speeds, but they're a budget choice, which makes sense for a program like this. What doesn't make sense is using bikes that supposedly cost so much.) I haven't found a concrete figure on what each bike cost NYC, but I do know they take a cool grand out of your account if you keep the bike over 24hours or if it gets lost/stolen while out on your card. Buying a cruiser like this should cost common folks $300 or so, and i'd expect that the Citi Bike program could've/should've gotten a bulk discount. After all, they started with 6000 bikes, and plan to double that by 2017.

Anyway, here's the bike up-close, with some info:
citi-bike-meet-the-bike.jpg
I think bike share is a different program. The Citi Bike Program was new I think about a year ago. There were Jamaican and Russian hawkers who were trying to rent their bikes at the Citi Bike kiosk for less but they were junk. Also there were several bike rental vendors around Battery Park in Southern Manhattan, but nothing like the Citi Bikes.

So he went and picked up 20 bikes over the weekend while I was out of town, I haven't asked yet if he got a bulk discount.

IMG_4590_1.jpg

He delivered 2 to me today, a cantilever frame and a step through. The step through has BEEFY rims and spokes, I rode both of them about 30 feet and both ride smooth. By looking at the photo it seems he also picked up some diamond frame Fujis, they are probably the same as the step through in this photo, if so, it is a heavier duty bike.

IMG_4588.jpg

I am going to tune up (grease all bearings, clean chains, adjust hubs) both bikes and install a 36t on one of them so that we can let different people see if they like the gearing better since our local trail is not flat.

A drive side photo and a teaser of what has been using up some of my time.

IMG_4589.jpg

Latest posts

Back