Need help cleaning hubs and degreasing parts!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day RRB, I have a couple of questions and I'm hoping some of you might be able to help.. what type of chemicals do some of you use for degreasing hubs, chains, and things of that sort? or should I ask what are the best dregreasers out there for that sort of job? I have a chain I want to clean that has decades of grime and grease that Im hoping I could clean up pretty well without maybe ruining it..lol.

Also rust removers, what types of things do you use? for chrome I use Chrome polish, WD-40, and aluminum foil... but Ive heard of people using regular household white vinigar, does that really work? any help would be appreciated...thanks!

For degreasing I have had good luck with mineral spirits, blue dawn and hot water, also simple green, (dawn and simple green work best for light degreasing). Vinegar works but usually takes two to three day for results.

For degreasing: lemon pledge, brakleen, carb cleaner, Pb blaster, citrus based degreaser (pb comapny makes it) Lava soap, purple power.

For degreasing: nothing I have found matches the "solvency per dollar" of gasoline. Gasoline works better than mineral spirits at $10 a gallon, and close to lacquer thinner at $16 per gallon. It stinks though, so you will want to use appropriate gloves.

dougfisk said:
For degreasing: nothing I have found matches the "solvency per dollar" of gasoline. Gasoline works better than mineral spirits at $10 a gallon, and close to lacquer thinner at $16 per gallon. It stinks though, so you will want to use appropriate gloves.

I use gasoline as well. I always have it on hand for the lawnmower. But keep in mind it is highly dangerous to use for a degreaser. It only takes one spark to ruin your whole day. If you choose to use it- keep it outdoors if at all possible. Put out your cigarette. And be mindful when welding or grinding that your sparks don't get anywhere near your gas bath.

Another handy product is brake cleaner. In LA check out O'Reilly auto parts. It comes in a high pressure spray can, and it'll dissolve anything that isn't metal. It's good for blasting out bearing cages. I use it on three speed hubs too. Stick the tube in the oiler hole, push the button, and bingo. Of course you have to re-pack the wheel bearings afterward, but it allows you to get the hub done without a total disassembly.

JWM

jwm said:
Another handy product is brake cleaner. In LA check out O'Reilly auto parts. It comes in a high pressure spray can, and it'll dissolve anything that isn't metal. It's good for blasting out bearing cages. I use it on three speed hubs too. Stick the tube in the oiler hole, push the button, and bingo. Of course you have to re-pack the wheel bearings afterward, but it allows you to get the hub done without a total disassembly.

JWM
I will try that, thanks JWM :D

For deagreasing I use Diesel. Doing this for 30 years now and haven't found anything better.
Not so much for wiping off, but for soaking parts in it. Diesel will remove anything.
After the Diesel bath, you can use normal white spirit to remove the Diesel.

For removing rust from smaller parts, soak them in vinegar.

While I do use gas(it is cheap) Nothing works better than lacquer thinner and carb cleaner(both still flammable but IMO safer). On Chrome I use 00 steel wool. For other metal parts that you are not worried about the finish I use vinegar for derusting. While not plant friendly it is environmentally friendly, when you are do, just dump it out in the drive way, or a plant you need to kill(unless your soil is very base, then it will have the opisite effect). This is just what I use, but some of theses guys have been doing this a lot longer. I recommend trying a few and see for your self.

ZEP 50 aerosol foaming engine cleaner is pretty handy stuff too. Spray, sit for 20 minutes, hose off. Brake cleaner for the stubborn little stuff.

I like 0000 steel wool for old chrome and stainless, turtle wax metal polish for alloy, and the wire wheel on my grinder for small, unplated parts (hang on tight and wear your glasses 8) ) :D

Latest posts

Back