Need help! Going crazy over seat post!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have a 78 or 79 Schwinn cruiser 5 post and seat were stolen and I can not figure out what size the seat tube is. 22.2 won't fit 13/16 s is way too small. Im going crazy tryin to figure this out! Someone please help!

If it's a Chicago made (up to 83) cantilever frame, it should be 13/16". Do you have another 13/16" to double check it? If that's not the right size, measure it with a good ruler in mm and inches. Maybe it's a later bike? Can you post a pic?

I always use a deepwell socket as a gauge. Find one that fits, then measure it with some cailapers.

Tim

Last edited:
It is not 22.2 and if I put any if the 13/16 post its super eay to small. I was told by local shop thst in the early80s schwinn used a 21.5 or 22mm but I cant find one anywhere

The 22.2 is just a bit big.. but the 13/16 is just way to small. Im just lost st what size this could be...

Ill post pics soon

I looked through Sheldon Brown's database. The only thing that looked promising was the Schwinn 1995 Cruiser 6. It lists as having a 22.0 post.

Yeah cant find a 22 either. The 22 would probably fit perfectly. The 22.2 is just a bit big

I looked at a couple of the big bike parts sites, those that advertised a 22 were actually 13/16ths. It'll be tough finding one. Maybe you can fab up some shims for the 13/16ths post.

Good idea

I'm going thru this right now with an Emory, and i already went thru it with a Trailmate. With the Trailmate, i just used a 13/16" with a Wald shim. In both cases, i have the og posts, but the seatguts fit loose on a 22.0 post, so I went with the 13/16" with a 7/8" top. With the seatclamp i'm using, the 13/16" with the Wald shim tightened down great on the Trailmate.

I tried the same thing with the Emory, but the Emory has a welded-on seatclamp, and it won't tighten down enough to keep the seat from turning when i ride. I might try to use the og post and shim the guts, or i might remove the welded-on clamp.

Long story short: If i were you, i'd run a 13/16" post with the Wald shim, but I can send you a beat-up 22.0 post if you want it. LMK.

Only problem I have is it has to be a minimum if 12 inches long in 6 ft 3.....so I dont care what it looks like as long as it works!

Yeah both of these posts are pretty short, I think. I'll try'n measure'm up tomorrow. But they do make some pretty long 13/16" posts.... maybe just shim one of those with a Wald #905?
13947635231211781976633.jpeg

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/wald-seatpost-stem-bushing-905-7-8-to-13-16-plated

With the post that high, you may want to reinforce it. I've done that with a few of them for friends who were over 6 ft and needed the stem way high. Either a wooden dowel or metal rod (I just used a shower curtain rod on my bike's cheap seat post) hammered in to give it a little more strength. The end of the post may have a lip, but I cut that 1/4" off to add the extra.

I need a solid one..im 6 ft3 380 lbs

I have a 78 or 79 Schwinn cruiser 5 post and seat were stolen and I can not figure out what size the seat tube is. 22.2 won't fit 13/16 s is way too small. Im going crazy tryin to figure this out! Someone please help!
Something's not right, I just checked my 1980 cruiser 5, and it's standard 13/16"

Same as 95 repop phantom, 48 DX, 55 corvette, 61 and 63, but not 2002 cruiser 4 which come out 22MM with the flat toped mount. Might be 22.5 I can't find my stupid calipers, (Chinese made and intelligence not included, my US made have been hiding for over 1 year. dam things must be dating, wherever me wife cubby holed em. ) so had to use my best, tightest crescent wrench, or 7/8"

Last edited:
I got one out of a Speedster, measures .790"-or 20.06mm
Not very long....
Have one made.

Yeah, i'm thinking BH's bike ain't a '78 or '79; all the electro-forged Chicago Schwinns had 13/16" (aka 20.6mm) posts. But, regardless, it seems that whatever bike it is, it takes this goofball seatpost size. I ended up putting the original 22.0mm post back into the Emory, and I managed to get the seatguts tight on the slightly undersized post..... they're holding so far--- knock on wood.

BITD, the klunker guys ran 13/16" lengths of solid aluminum rod in their bikes. Get yourself 18" of 13/16" round-rod 6061, and shim it top and bottom for the frame and the guts?
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=18035&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1277&top_cat=60

I went to that same site and got some 316 stainless seamless tube in 7/8" with 0.12" thick walls to run in my Worksman, b/c my fat A keeps bending normal 7/8" posts. They shipped quick, no surprises or glitches....

Last edited:
Yeah, i'm thinking BH's bike ain't a '78 or '79;

I wouldn't be so sure it's even a Schwinn cruiser .. what was it, 2001 that pacific bought out the Schwinn logo? They're not Schwinn's anymore, but Murray's and Huffy's with a sticker. Lets see photograph of said violator. I'm thinking 'like' wally world "Schwinn" 2004 and newer..

Funny last week a fellow offered me a couple of Black Friday 'krates' 2007 wally world cleared out @ $45 each. he'd bought them 6 year ago,, complete and total rust buckets when he got them. (side note: actually I like it when I find these types of things all rusted, wore out, because it meant kids actually played with em, verses put on a pedestal!) Even at $25 each, I walked away. But,, they did not even have serial numbers on the frames, anywhere! I guess PC bikes are just putting on stickers now. No matter right? their bikes rust before stickers fall off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back