need help understanding krate/sting ray differences

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hey, I know this is probably bike guy 101, so feel free to be a lil rough on me for it. Ive had a few fairladies long ago, and was thinking id like to get a boys frame next. I am having a hard time understanding what the difference between a stingray and krate, Im not trying to get a mint restore or anything, just a better understanding of what im looking at. is it more of a factory "accessory" package on ray frame, or is it a production year deal. Id like to build a 78 something as its my birth year, looking to do an eraish correctish deal...
thanks for any pointers or links to info..

Sting-Ray was the Model name for all of Schwinn's bikes with Banana seats & sissy bars back then.. they had Many Different Sting-ray Models. The Krates were just the top of the line sting-ray. If your wanting to build a 1978 Krate, it would not be historically correct, since they stopped making the Krate series in 1973.

and there it is.. that's the info i was looking for, thanks... is there a good place to find out what models were available in 78 from schwinn.
again thanks... not trying to build a historically accurate bike, just want a birth year, and would like it to be fun but deffinatlyy not looking to spend crazy money...
i guess my grape 78 is a no go...
yes I've lurked for a while.
*edit i spells no so many goods srry :(

wow i got options for days right there... yeah i think thats an instant pass to build whatever.. and the color selection may be a little to controversial for my neighborhood.... :wink: thanks for the link detroiter... by chance do you know where i can find catalog shot like that for the rest of the Schwinn line for 78, like the mid weights etc.
thanks again..

***EDIT so thanks detroiter I realized thats exactly what you linked me to.. perfect!

Start HERE for catalogs of just about every year of post-war Chicago Schwinn:

http://www.trfindley.com/pg_schwinn_cats.htm

Those catalog links will cover most everything, but a couple of them are early or late year catalogs and a few models are left out. Notably in '77 some colors were produced, but dropped mid year. Like Canary Yellow (pale yellow) and Flamingo (bright pink). Not all colors were made for all models, and once in a while you will find that a bike might have been made in an alternate color to what's in the book. There are also custom jobs, promo's, dealer-built bikes, and pretty darn good fakes out there.

For you, finding a nice '78 should not be too much of a challenge. They're out there, and not seen as being extremely collectible... not any more than any other base model Stingray. The color selections might not be people's favorites either.

I think in '78 you can get a regular or 5-speed Stingray, or a Hurricane 5, or a Scrambler/BMX based on the Stingrays' cantilever frame. (That's what the frame design with 2 curved tubes running from seat-stays to just below the head tube is called.)

There is a significant difference you'll have to take note of: Single-speed and coaster-3 hub equipped bikes use the "standard" frame, and the rear arch is not made to mount caliper brakes. Regular 3-spd, 5-speed, and Krate models do use caliper brakes and therefore have a plate welded into the upper rear frame that's much bigger than the little arch for mounting just a fender. Note that "Deluxe" models were made both ways, so there are models with fenders that do not take caliper brakes, and others that do. I would guess that 3 out of 4 Stingrays were standard coaster models.

The 5-speed Krate models were built on the same frame as 5-speed models of the day, and for years when coaster Krates were made, the frames are likewise the same as the standard Stingrays offered that year.

Krates are equipped with a springer front fork, fitted with a 16" front wheel on a 24" fork, and a 20" S-2 rear wheel. Coaster models used a Bendix coaster hub, either a RB2 red-band, or from 1971 on, a Bendix 70. 5-speed Krates feature Weinmann hand brakes and frame mounted shifters. Coaster Krates use many of the same parts but come with no hand brakes and no shifters.

The production of Krates starts in 1968, offering Red, Orange, and Yellow bikes: Apple Krate, Orange Krate, and Lemon Peeler. In 1969 the campus green Pea Picker appears. In 1970, the white Cotton Picker joins the lineup. In 1971, the Grey Ghost is offered, which is painted with the same silver that is the base coat for the red or green bikes, just clear coated. In 1972 the Ghost and Cotton Picker are dropped from the offerings, and the remaining bikes gain a rear disk brake. The Orange Krate's color also changes from the bright "Kool Orange" to the darker Sunset Orange. Other Schwinns using orange likewise change their color that year. After 1973 the Krate line is dropped entirely, though Stingrays continue until 1981, and Fastback models continue until 1976. All of the multi-speed bikes from 1974-on use a thumb-shifter mounted on the handlebars instead of the top tube mounted big Stik-shift.

There's a partial summary... any more questions feel free to ask.

--Rob

:shock: ...prints out robs post... puts in wallet... now exudes confidence i have a clue of what im talking about... hehe
thanks guys... that was thorough, and fast..

pholTmonx said:
:shock: ...prints out robs post... puts in wallet... now exudes confidence i have a clue of what im talking about... hehe
thanks guys... that was thorough, and fast..
I too, have learned something new. Didn't know the distinction between Sting Rays vs. Krates either. Thanks for the question!

Always happy to help... I've learned so much about them from this forum and the catalogs and some hands-on. I came here after feeling that the Schwinn forums were doing a big disservice to the cycling and collector communities.

If you have specific questions about Schwinns, particularly Stingrays, you can always post here or email me at [email protected]

--Rob

Hi i have a question ab
Always happy to help... I've learned so much about them from this forum and the catalogs and some hands-on. I came here after feeling that the Schwinn forums were doing a big disservice to the cycling and collector communities.

If you have specific questions about Schwinns, particularly Stingrays, you can always post here or email me at [email protected]

--Rob
Hi have a question about the grey ghost...Does the original have a 5 speed shift or coaster? Which came first?And how can you tell the dif between the reproduction one and the original. Thanx

They made both a coaster grey Ghost and a 5 speed version back in 1971.. Easiest way to tell the Difference is to look for the made in China sticker. :D

How can you tell if the sticker is gone? and you don't have your chart of Schwinn serial numbers in your back pocket?

I bought an repop Krate frame off ebay , and built it up with a junker girls stingray. Single speed chainguard didn't exactly fit it, and I had the usual too long steering tube on the girl's fork to deal with. I have a lathe so I made a spacer to install under the bottom bearing seat. Pretty easy fix, although cutting and rethreading the fork would have been ideal. Other than that it was a pretty cool way to have a nice shiny boy's bike without spending much money. It was a repop anyhow so I used a set of pretty strong aluminum BMX rims on it, and the bike performed fine for me with no weight issues.

The 1970s Chi-town Schwinns will have electroforged headtube junctions, whereas the Chinese models will be TIG-welded

Tig'd (from a modern Eastern BMX bike):
E3-frame-headtube-weld-5.jpg

Electroforged (From a Schwinn Sidewinder):
SidewinderHead.JPG

The 71 will be smooth and seamless, like the second one. The Chinese Schwinn will have a beaded weld, like the top pic only uglier.

hth

Last edited:
Thanx guys, have been doing some research all over the net,and this is what I found out.
Grey ghost was only produced in 71(grey color) less than 300
Both stik-shift and coaster wer produced.Coaster even less.(hence why it is a rare bike)
Original would have Chicago on the decal,serial no: on the head tube(not bottom bracket).The patina is of a dull color not a high gloss...And like Bicycle 808 says with the welding...

The early 1998-2000 Repo's also had the electro forged Welds. and serial #s on head tube. but there were 3 letters instead of 2 letters.. Hope that helps. Get's kinda confusing with all the Repops out there..lol
It sure does,a few have come up recently,and if I decide to buy one,I would rather pay a decent price for a repo and not get ripprd off...

Latest posts

Back