Need help with a recent find... Its a 30s Aerocycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More pics as requested!

jl2h4w.jpg

1feas8.jpg

118qg4n.jpg

Hate to say it but Ebay or likes is probably your best bet.

I have to agree. You'll get top dollar from a ebay sale and let the market determine its worth. I'm looking forward to bidding!

Man we are all drooooling you got a real gem there . The only thing I would do to it is take the front basket off & the value goes up . Great score & it looks in awesome shape [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man we are all drooooling you got a real gem there . The only thing I would do to it is take the front basket off & the value goes up . Great score & it looks in awesome shape [emoji1303][emoji1303]
Yea,definitely LOSE the basket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This Is A major Find. First Thing Is First, Its original Color was Black (A VERY RARE COLOR) I would suggest As much as I can That you try to recover as Much original paint as Possible by removing the barn paint. This Bike needs Time and Patience But could Easily Be one Of the best in the hobby if the time is taken to recover the original Paint.

Nick.

I'll be completely honest with you in all aspects. Ive been into prewar bikes for 22 years now. First off, incredible find. Phenomenal. Its definitely a repaint,BUT....don't try to clean it or strip the paint. Leave that for the next owner. The original paintis probably still under there and most likely canbe saved. Next, don't part it out. EVER. The only incorrect parts are the basket and the rear rack. Value wise.....drum roll please....on a low end..... $4,500. But on a high end id say $6500. If the original paint was very nice with correct rack, nice original plating on the chrome.... $9k plus. So. Do you sell or keep? Honestly you will never find another and won't be able to replace it for what you aquired it for im sure of that. So your best bet is ebay to sell it on or the cabe. Id start off at $7k on cabe. You can always go down but i wouldn't go much further down than that. In all my years of collecting, ive never owned an Aerocycle and probably never will unfortunately but they are on my dream list. Congratulations once again and think really seriously about whatever you decide. You have the holy grail there.

Aerocycles were only made in a few colors. Mainly silver and red. Dark blue and cream, maroon and cream (special order by William Randolph Hearst) and i have seen an orange and black one but other than that...no original paint black Aerocycles exist. None. 99% of aerocycles have been restored with a good chunk of those bikes being fake as faf as the frames butchered to be an aerocycle with a fiberglass tank or repop steel tank. Yours however is the real deal. I would say there are about 40 original paint Aerocycles out there. A good dozen or more are in the Los Angeles area alone.

eBay it!! Slick is correct do not part it out . If your not experienced in striping off the house paint this not the bike to learn on as it could really hurt the value just dust it off . Your best bet eBay . I'd say it's a 4 k bike as it's been repainted no horn or button or tail light . Has had chrome in a can in places missing rack all can be corrected and found . Awesome score congrats !!! I have a Red 35 all OG it's my best riding bike love it ...
Ps:
The words out so hang on your gonna be bombarded with offers and comments .
Ya need any advice just message me , again great score !!!

Cruising my Prewar Schwinn [emoji605]

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I built a girls version of the Aerocycle . I call it the Aerocyclette

Schwinn never made a girls version. So I had this in my head for years.

Last edited:
I'll be completely honest with you in all aspects. Ive been into prewar bikes for 22 years now. First off, incredible find. Phenomenal. Its definitely a repaint,BUT....don't try to clean it or strip the paint. Leave that for the next owner. The original paintis probably still under there and most likely canbe saved. Next, don't part it out. EVER. The only incorrect parts are the basket and the rear rack. Value wise.....drum roll please....on a low end..... $4,500. But on a high end id say $6500. If the original paint was very nice with correct rack, nice original plating on the chrome.... $9k plus. So. Do you sell or keep? Honestly you will never find another and won't be able to replace it for what you aquired it for im sure of that. So your best bet is ebay to sell it on or the cabe. Id start off at $7k on cabe. You can always go down but i wouldn't go much further down than that. In all my years of collecting, ive never owned an Aerocycle and probably never will unfortunately but they are on my dream list. Congratulations once again and think really seriously about whatever you decide. You have the holy grail there.
I think Slick is right on with the price. I think it would go nuts on ebay. I, personally would pull off the basket and leave it just the way it is. I LOVE it and I'm fare from a Schwinn fan.

I don't know that I would be so quick to throw it on FEEBAY.
You need to do some research.
If you sell the bike on ebay for say $10,000 your Ebay and PayPal fees will be around $1,000
10% to ebay and 3% to PayPal and that does not include the listing fees.
If you put a reserve on it it will cost quite a bit more.
I'm not one to give these greedy giants that kind of easy money for a simple listing.
Then you also have ebay trolls that will buy a bike like this and part it out for thier own greed. We all know they are out there.
If you sold the bike here or on The Cabe for even $8,500 you would not be that much behind if you sold it on Ebay for $10K
and you would at least know that it has gone to a good home and probably sell a lot faster.
There are alot of bicycle collectors that will step up to the plate for a bike like this. So give it some thought and at least try to put it on the market here, The Cabe, Facebook, Ect. first At least it's free to post.
No greed from a listing fee greedy giant.
Just my thought.
Joe K.

Sell it as is. It's worth a lot of money... several thousand dollars, even as it stands with over-paint. This isn't one to mess with, trying to take it back to original paint by stripping it, or tinkering with parts/mechanical stuff/etc. It's worth too much as a straight collectible.

Much sound advice here. Don't try to "improve" it. There is nothing you can do that will not detract. Don't take anything off, don't put anything on. Don't even wash it. Sell it as found. You already won the lottery, nothing left but to market it effectively.

Latest posts

Back