Need Help With Mead Ranger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Does anybody have any ideas on what year this might be. Headbadge has Mead Ranger, Chicago, Illinois. I know Schwinn made some bikes for them but what year might this be. Any help would be very helpful. Thans in advance. Leo
012.jpg

http://s1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... g&newest=1

First time posting photos, I hope this works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi
Thanks for looking at this for me. But now I am more cofused. Did Columbia make bikes in Illinois? The badge says Chicago. And the serial Number is J2747(0 or 9). I thought possibly made by Schwinn. Again any help. Thanks. Leo

Hi Leo, The Mead Company was headquartered in Chicago but they did not manufacture bikes, they purchased the bikes from several suppliers (Mainly Schwinn) and assembled them for mail order sales, the badge refers to the Mead Company and their location, not the location of the actual manufacturer. In the 1930’s Westfield (Columbia) was a secondary supplier to Mead behind Schwinn. After WW2, as Mead was in its death throes, it used several suppliers including Manton and Smith and Later, Snyder/Harris.

Your bike is definitely Westfield sourced and the serial number shows it is from 1945, probably one of the earliest orders for postwar, non-military, products that Westfield built.

Nice bike and even better for the very early postwar date!

Hey thanks for all the info on this. I really appreciate it. It is a great bike and I am excited to get it going again. I used to ride it 22 years ago around town. I just got new tires for it and got it cleaned up some. Am looking to get it back on the road tomorrow. Thanks again. This is why I joined here, for all the great experience that you guys have. And are willing to share. Leo

Back