need some help with i.d. of this bike, i know its a schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have this 20in. boys schwinn frame and the serial # A 29382 and i cant figure out what it is. any help would be appreciated.

Picture004.jpg

well at least we know it was coppertone .... there is a stamp missing and i think that there was a run around ?64? missing the second stamping digit. i could be wrong but 64 sounds right in my head. Rob will probably know "NCLTVWguy"

guessing youve gotta stingray there

isn't the serial number refering this bike to be a 1962? becasue the first portion is A2 :?: i think the A was the month and the 2 was the year in the codes after i think 58 or somthing around there. i could be wrong tho. as far as what it is im not sure. ive got a 62 typhoon similar but its got straight bars in the cantilever frame instead of cureved bars so i know its not that. sorry i cant give you more

chaunceysj said:
isn't the serial number refering this bike to be a 1962? ...

if it was there would be a letter followed by six more digits, the serial in the pic above is missing the second digit ... it's just simply not there.

Ahab said:
thanks guys this means alot, that missing digit was messing me up.

Haha I'm a little late, but yeah, you've got a January '66 Stingray like I do.

When they started making frames after the 2-week factory holiday at the end of '65, apparently they left a digit out of the stamping machine. The first 2 weeks of 1966 production, that is all the A (January) bikes and a few of the B (February) frames got stamped A_ and B_ instead of AB and BB like the serial system should have been.

Yours is one day later than mine. I do believe it's a Junior frame as well. Jan 28 1966.

The bike itself was probably assembled and delivered in April or May... usually a month or two delay from frame date to final assembly, I've found.

You should have date codes on the crank, on original tires if you still have them, on the side of the stem, on the center knurl of the handlebars, and, if all that is missing, you should still have a date stamp inside the front fork. Look for a little number with a + in it, like 01+6 for January 66. It's just above the dropout for the wheel on the inside of the left fork leg. Sometimes they get mangled from wheels being mounted repeatedly.

I'd sandblast that frame and repaint it in a color you like with new decals. Personally I'm a big fan of coppertone, my Jan 66 bike is an original coppertone and looks amazing in the sun.

my66dlxcop2.jpg

Good luck, feel free to ask any other weird technical Schwinn questions.

[email protected]

--Rob

Latest posts

Back