new 1937 columbia 3 star

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny conversation here. Seems like the people with Negative tones in their comments are ones who will never consider this bike anyway. No matter what they would not buy it, Maybe because of the idea that it is not an original. Maybe because it is a bike that is being sold by Wal Mart. I don't know. But this conversation seems like people are just guessing at stuff. Has one person here actually touched one. Gone for a ride on one? There is talk of going to Wal Mart just to take pictures and post them on a website. Wow.... Well I would buy one in a heartbeat. But I have one problem. I just counted the bikes that I have and today I have 46 bikes. I sure don't need another one. Or do I ?;)
I moved across this USA with a 20 foot trailer full of bikes. When I was packing each of them in the trailer. I wanted to stand them up all side by side. In my packing, I removed pedals, Let air out of tires on some, reversed the forks on some, Some I removed the front tire. I wanted every square inch filled perfectly. with no rocking back and forth. There was cardboard in between each of them. But.... With me taking the fender off, The tire off or the pedals off, when I removed each bike from the trailer, It only took me a minute or so to get each of them back to riding. Heaven forbid that I have to turn the fork back around. I hear about Professional Bike Mechanics. Heck, It does not take a Professional Bike Mechanic to turn a fork around or removed and reverse a fender. Maybe some people like it reversed.
I can R and R five bikes in the time it has taken me to write this little post. I am NOT a Professional Bike Mechanic. Just a Bike Maniac. I am sure any person who actually works on their own bike here can do the same. Its not a big deal, Or is it, To some bike owners here?
If you like it buy it. In order for anyone to be safe, It would be a good Idea to check all the grease and make sure everything is tight. Just standard practice when you buy a bike. I never get on a new bike without checking everything.

Just my 2.5 cents. Hope it is considered.
Later Bike Nuts...:banana:

Yeah, but it's wally's photo, it's not showing the white painted tips on the fenders in their photo.

Here's a thead I posted 23 of photos of it inside of Wally's . didn't save the photos nor put them in an online hosting so, just go there fer a looks see. http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...ia-absolutly-pristine-Original-MINT-150/page2

I just checked out your pics; the fender in your pics does have the white tip and pinstripes, but it is oriented just like the one in the WM pics. Being that the rear fender has the white tip on the rear fender, i wonder what the manufacturer intended for the front? I think it'd look better on the other way, with the white tip facing the rear... :39:

All I can say is Ugh. The older I get, and the more knowledgeable I become, the less I would buy something like that. Just me. Not an elitist, not smug, just a bit more picky. For others, clearly it does something for them, and I am not one to say what flips others switches....

What it "really" looks like from the wallworld site:
k2-_e526d887-f9f9-429f-813d-a0a470beaa23.v2.jpg
Not a bad looking bike: change-out the hubs (replace the rear w/a 2-speed kickback), overhaul the bottom bracket, install a torpedo headlight and bolt it onto the front fender than paint it to match the bike's overall look, remove the wheel reflectors and reinforce the truss rods - done. :)

Last edited:
A little personalization goes a long way! The seat stays really make me think that this bike would look real sporty with the rear rack removed.

What it "really" looks like from the wallworld site:
k2-_e526d887-f9f9-429f-813d-a0a470beaa23.v2.jpg
Not a bad looking bike: change-out the hubs (replace the rear w/a 2-speed kickback), overhaul the bottom bracket, install (EDIT:) an ID plate (END EDIT) and bolt it onto the front fender than paint it to match the bike's overall look, (EDIT:) cut off some chainguard (END EDIT) remove the wheel reflectors and reinforce the truss rods - done. :)
I just want the :crazy::cool2:handlebar!:cool2:
:grin:

(See post edit.)

Chinese people are small and they actually have a much bigger bike culture then we do unfortunately, I think they make frames to accommodate themselves not big boned Americans.

Why do they always insist in making adult cruisers with such small frames.

A little personalization goes a long way! The seat stays really make me think that this bike would look real sporty with the rear rack removed.
It does seem to have a fastback look to it... :thumbsup:

Luke.

The Huffy Cape Cod has a pretty sweet looking frame too, they have this model at my local WW.
706aa53fec9b9db11b5f5d6f5bef3cab.jpg

The Huffy Cape Cod has a pretty sweet looking frame too, they have this model at my local WW.
I like the frame, rack and chain wheel..some of the details are nice., they do good dolling em up lately.

I just sold one of these that was a trade in at the shop. Suprisingly decent bike. The sprocket is actually a ships wheel. And had nice anchors on the back of each fender.
-Kreep-

I just sold one of these that was a trade in at the shop. Suprisingly decent bike. The sprocket is actually a ships wheel. And had nice anchors on the back of each fender.
-Kreep-

Even though I am not in the market for this or any other bike anytime soon I still really appreciate the first hand report on one of these. I posted a link to this model and some other new Walmart bikes in the new to Walmart thread sometime last year. Just going by the stock photo I liked some things about it, was indifferent to others, and thought some of it looked sort of odd. I never gave the bike any thought after that and never searched for more detailed info about it. From the info you gave us we now know there are some details to this bike that are not seen in the stock photo and not typical to inexpensive department store bikes.

Yeah, but it's wally's photo, it's not showing the white painted tips on the fenders in their photo.

Here's a thead I posted 23 of photos of it inside of Wally's . didn't save the photos nor put them in an online hosting so, just go there fer a looks see. http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...ia-absolutly-pristine-Original-MINT-150/page2
WOW 23 photos? You could be the new NBP. (New Bike Photographer). Picture this you wake up, Drink your coffee and eat your breakfast. Get dressed and kiss your wife good bye. "Bye honey I am off to work". You jump in your car and drive down to the Sales Shop. set up your camera and take pictures of the new bikes. You drive home for Supper. Wife says " How was your day dear?". You reply " It was a tough one, But I love my job, "I am the NBP".

23 photos wow. That Cabe post was very good. A lot of reasonable comments. I enjoyed that post. Although there was one person made a statement. Instead of saying "My Wife will be riding her bike" That poster said. " Wife will pilot said conveyance" who talks like that?

OK for anyone who I have offended. Sorry about that. But get over it. I need to get up every day and smile about something as I go out and ride my bike.

Latest posts

Back