new 1937 columbia 3 star

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kinda like that guys way of thinking, It seems like a filler panel between the tank havles would accomplish what he is looking to do.

I had to stop at Wal-Mart this morning and swung through the bike section. Low and behold, There was two there. I don't know why,but I was hoping to see something better than what I found. Mind you, I didn't pull one out off the rack & inspect it with a fine tooth comb-But I have been a bicycle mechanic for 18 years and owned my own shop for 10. Not only working on every style modern rides but restoring and custom fabbing vintage bikes.

The truss rods are very thin tube steel with very poor chrome.They also attach to the truss rod bracket by 2 screws going through the top. (looks really cheap)
The "tank" is very thin aswell and both I saw in the store were already dented.
The chrome on the rest of the bike is normal Huffy stuff that wont last long.

Overall I'm not suprised by any of this, I just was hoping for a good base to chop up and not feel guilty. That beeing said,If one fell into my lap I wouldn't hesitate to do just that. But to buy one is a whole nother thing.Just my 2 cents-for what it's worth.
-Kreep-

Yeah No prob guys, unfortunately though those photos were not my normal, to many that were blurry. so, If me does the trick and scope the photo shoot again (not very likely though cause, I don't hunt this stuff, lol) they should be better. was in a big rush that day because got delayed elsewhere prior and ran out of time so,,

regardless, glad somebody liked em! :)

all in all there's a lot of room for improvement, a cheap built bike, but heck, for a buck and a half? I won't be adding one to my stall for two reasons. 1 I ain't into storing junk for years so can sell later if it becomes 'collectible' and 2, it aint old!. I got 4 keeper bikes 1 fer me 1 fer wife 1 fer son if when he visits and 1 fer daughter if she does too, wrapping the 4 total incase they come at same time.. don't need nor want no more unless parting them out fer a few bucks.

But possible fer a buck and quarter, (I'm always thinking wally's clearance price) if me had the room, it's tempting.

BTW selfless pump fer daughter link, "Montreal-based, self-proclaimed "dirty pop" band 'Nancy Pants', lo-fi '60s garage rock, 90's punk" hitting Canada's college radio @ #11 this week and #1 in a few collage stations too: . Total Nancy Pants free streaming album link . : http://exclaim.ca/Music/article/nancy_pants-total_nancy_pants

enjoy! ( Like, love or enjoy and maybe she can get the money to visit and ride her bike [wink])

Last edited:
Well, here's one on the Appleton, WI c/l
00909_gnoDca3IOi5_600x450.jpg

http://appleton.craigslist.org/bik/4868508750.html

think I've seen this guys ads on eBay too.
I like the "You cant find them in the stores!", and "FIRST $200 cash takes it! (just covering what I paid and shipping) A great investment! They are hard to find!" LOL :banana:

I think they could have borrowed some steel from the chainguard and added it to the front fender... Someone figured out how to make the truss rods as short as possible for a sweeping bend like that. I bet it would look better with a straighter truss rod that had a sharper bend at the stem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the same guy that would sell the Beast's for $400?

I think they could have borrowed some steel from the chainguard and added it to the front fender... Someone figured out how to make the truss rods as short as possible for a sweeping bend like that. I bet it would look better with a straighter truss rod that had a sharper bend at the stem.
Ditto on the guard/fender change.

Wal-Mart in Orlando Florida has them in stock the come with two type of handle bars
Also they have them in girls the men's bike comes with sticker decals on it not painted on like the old bikes if I buy one I am going to change the seat and crank and paint the decals on it and put on chrome wheels on it with a vintage seat and crank and maybe a bicycle motor also this bike could use a fender headlight on the fender would look good on it what do you think

If I do buy one, all of the decals will go and it will get an old school scallop paint job on the tank and chain guard. In some heavy flake!:cool2: :cool2:

Did any RRBers ever get one of these?

I've seen four for sale., Ive seen one completely redone on facebook. I stand by my prior comments., when you look at it..and you own a real Columbia,.. its like taking Fisher Price Bologna over A tediously prepared whilst screaming Chef Ramsey Steak.

I picked up this Columbia almost complete minus wheels and some decals. I just got it running this weekend by adding a blacked out 3-spd wheelset off of an Electra of mine and I switched up the neckstem and handlebars. I'm going to have the tank and frame pinstriped and ride the heck out of it. It's a solid bike and rides really smooth.

Attachments

• IMG_20160626_142302.jpg
    IMG_20160626_142302.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 336

Latest posts

Back