new 1937 columbia 3 star

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course there is always an exception.

I think it would look better if the rack sat lower...
colum1.jpg

or just yank it off completely.
colum2a.jpg

I have ocd with being true to the classics and this walley bike would get old skooled real fast. The old style skinny forks, truss rods, stem, toss the 3 piece crank to have a more better looking chain ring than that Huffy one it has, chain guard to a old style late 40's early 50's chain guard. Put a long spring saddle on there. A 9 hole or 6 hole rack. Possibly a delta headlight and horn unit. And get rid of though ugly spoke reflectors. Than youll have a nice look ride lol

I think the worst feature is... 3-piece cranks. Totally limits you on chainring swaps, crank swaps. And while they may not have been trying to stay true to the original concept, I think a quick google image check would have allowed them to stay closer to original and spend the same or less money in the process. Alloy wheels? If you were that concerned with weight or speed you could drop a ton of other stuff off and make it a 5 speed. But if you want to copy an old steel cruiser, leave the opc's and steel wheels. I think they believe everyone is going to buy these up and hoard them. I honestly wouldn't mind grabbing one just to fool around and repaint, but I have no need for a cruiser that I can't easily swap out parts on.

Sounds like from the write up on the cabe. that the bike was significantly changed (cheapened up) from the prototype to the final bike.
Sounds like WM strikes again. :dance2:

I think it's wrong to think of it as a replica, it's more of a tribute. Sort of like the new cars (Mustang, challenger, camaro, mini, fiat, etc), they have classic inspired styling but share nothing with the originals. They probably won't sell them here, so I'm not holding my breath for seeing them on Craigslist for cheap.

I think it's wrong to think of it as a replica, it's more of a tribute. Sort of like the new cars (Mustang, challenger, camaro, mini, fiat, etc), they have classic inspired styling but share nothing with the originals. They probably won't sell them here, so I'm not holding my breath for seeing them on Craigslist for cheap.
Interesting.. and got me thinking, found this article...
http://fortune.com/2014/10/17/ford-mustang-cost/
"When it was introduced in 1965, the original Mustang created a sensation with its sporty style and race-car inspired features that disguised its homely Falcon underpinnings, and were available with an average guy base price of $2,427. If you adjusted the price today for 50 years of inflation, it would still be a bargain at $18,326. The 50th anniversary Mustang may still be a good value, but no one would call it a bargain. While it arrived with that same long hood, short-deck design, driver-oriented controls, and middle-of-the-market aspirations that made the early car so popular, its actual base price would be unrecognizable—and unaffordable—to many of its original owners. The 2015 Mustang starts at $23,600, representing nearly a 30% bump over the inflation-adjusted price of the original."
from http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?67751-1937-Columbia-absolutly-pristine-Original-MINT-150,
sirMike1983 said, "A base model bicycle in the late 1930s (what most people cite as a good time for balloon tire bikes) sold for what today would be $400-500. For example, a relatively basic Elgin was $27.85 in 1938 (http://productimages.goantiques.com/...965_detail.jpg). That's $466 today (http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl).

What does $466 buy you today? You're comparing your $466 in hand to a $150 bicycle. $466 will actually get you a decent bicycle today, even if they don't look as classy as the older bikes. The most basic Worksman bike starts at $369, and your extra $100 will get you a few add-ons, even if not the most deluxe model they offer. Remember, we're comparing to the basic 1938 Elgin from the ad. A Worksman is a decent bicycle and a pretty sturdy one at that. If you are willing to buy a mid-range mountain bike, you can get a decent machine for your $466 as well- something very sturdy, relatively light, has plenty of gears, and has at least front shocks. Suddenly it's not so much about one being "better". It's more that you can get something decent for your money and it's more about what you want to do with the bike.

So the comparison is not clear cut. What you're doing is comparing what today would be a basic, mid-model bicycle price, not Wal-Mart $150 level stuff. Of course the $150 will seem like junk in comparison- it's not even aimed at the same price range"

So, to me the 2015 Mustang is a better car at 30% premium over inflation.
The WM "Columbia 1937" is a worse bicycle for roughly 66% discount considering inflation.
We are not even considerig the fact that I believe a genuine "Columbia" was a premium bike back in the day and the new Chinese bike prob is only 20% of the cost of a "Real USA Columbia"
Since the new US built fully decked out quality $500 "Columbia" balooner does not yet exist,
and who knows if it would sell to the Ipad / x-box hordes, the question remains, what can you build out of it? :p

Last edited:
I saw it today and it was awesome to me and sure it's cheap but what I saw it's worth the price The only thing I didn't like was 3 piece crank.

I had showed my sister today the girls bike and she liked that one too. We both only had cheap bikes and they always lasted years.

Has anyone picked up one of these yet?

We've spent a lot of time remarking at just how cheap this thing is. However, I think that for folks with a genuine interest in these bikes, $150 represents a substantial purchase that requires some planning. And, regardless of one's socio-economic status, it's hard to imagine that this creation is the best way we could spend $150. I know that, for me at least, every "extra" $150 of bike money would be better spent on something else.... like a robo-built Emory frame and a half-decent fork to go with it.... :blush:

150 bucks... well I got my Otasco custom for 60-75.. got my Columbia under 150 too,[though if I had it, Id have popped at 150..]
I see nice Chicago Schwinns all the time for under 150, maybe not the best shape.. but Im about the rusty gold over the new paint.

A spaceliner typically goes for 120 in fair shape, and those are WAYY cooler..

Did a walk thru of our local WM and they did not have a Columbia:(
Looks like the selection of "adult" bikes are pretty slim there.
May check out a WM in Green Bay some day out of curiosity.

I've never seen a fat bike, any of those new schwinns, or one of these at a wm by me. I only buy oil at wm but I do walk through the bikes on my way to the oil.
I think alot of the WalMart bikes are special order only.... you can buy'm on the website, and have'm delivered to your door or to the nearest WalMart.

Oh. I don't live in a real bike friendly area so I figured that had something to do with it.

Could be; I'm not sure but that's the impression I got, lookin' at the WMs down here in South Jersey. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I feel like most of Camden County is pretty bike-friendly.

Latest posts

Back