New bikes for My wife and I

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first build and I am loving it. I am building two bikes - one for myself which my wife knows I'm building and one for her that she does not know I'm building. Hers will be a birthday present. Mine is an old Hawthorne, hers an old Columbia. I was told they are both from around 58-62ish. Let me know if you have a better idea as far as their age.

Here's her bike:

1c49cbe7.jpg

ffdffe2a.jpg

this is mine. It was a complete bike when I bought it, but I got so excited to begin working on it, I forgot to take before pictures! After taking a few things off, I realized I forgot to take some pics and so I took these. I've asked the guy I bought it from if he can send me the pics he posted on c list. If he does I'll post them here too.

e3ebe39c.jpg

bcdf6be5.jpg

I'm lucky enough to have a friend who has a bike stand he let me use. That thing is a life saver! Here's mine after it has been torn down.

a34ff37f.jpg

The first thing I wanted to do was bend the forks to give a little rake and lower the front end on both bikes. Thanks to fellow member Kota's words of wisdom, I was able to get them bent the way I wanted on the first try. If you're looking for advice on how to bend forks, read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9254&hilit=bend+forks

Pictures of the forks:

eedb60e3.jpg

bb0723a9.jpg

Sorry these pictures are so bad. I had to do this outside so my wife wouldn't see me working on two bikes. By the time I got done it was dark out. I used a spotlight but the lighting is still really bad. My apologies.

I put the wheels and forks back on the bikes to see what bthey looked like after the bends. Here's a couple pics of a very preliminary mock up on both of them:

c41d30de.jpg

41c05af2.jpg

e766a505.jpg

f418046b.jpg

9207478a.jpg

09df4f11.jpg

Both bikes are at my familes paint and hydrographics shop now for painting the frames and fenders. I'm going to be finishing the components in the meantime and when they get done with paint. I'll be reassembling them all in time for my wife's birthday at the end of April. God willing!!! I'm still a little torn on the color scheme at this point, but I know we'll be incorporating some sort of carbon fiber hydro film in it somewhere. If you've never seen hydrographics before you need to go see their website - http://www.ozarkshydrographics.com

I'll keep updating as it comes along. Wish me luck at getting it done in a month! I know it's a stretch!

Wow! That is cool. How durable are the graphics :?: What would it cost to dip a frame :?:

That's an awesome birthday present for your wife :mrgreen:
Just got my wife into biking too :!: :D

After they dip the parts, they spray them with a couple coats of automotive grade clearcoat. It's as sturdy/durable as any paintob you'll find.

Not sure what they're going to charge to dip a frame yet. My bikes are the guinea pigs. They can do pretty elaborate stuff with flip flop paints, candy apple finishes, and stuff like that too so it would also depend on what extras, if any, you choose.

Once they get then done, I'll have them shoot me some prices and post them when I get them.

Flame - I grew up in Nixa. It's a small world huh?! Do you know of any good bike graveyards/junkyards around?? Swapmeets?? I live in St. Louis now but get back down that way a few times a year.

yoder327 said:
Flame - I grew up in Nixa. It's a small world huh?! Do you know of any good bike graveyards/junkyards around?? Swapmeets?? I live in St. Louis now but get back down that way a few times a year.

Cool! About the only place I know of is a guy over by Miller, Mo who works on bikes. He has some old stuff but doesn't like to sell parts but if you catch him in the right mood you can deal with him. There used to be several bike scrap yards hear in Aurora. Mostly old guys who saved every bike they found. When I was a kid I knew them all and they would sell me stuff for practically nothing. I miss those guys.

Paint dilemma! Help!!

Ok so pricing to get a whole bike dipped would run about $150 - $300 depending on how elaborate you got with it. If anyone is interested in more info, you can go to the website and contact them through there. Their next toy is going to be a vinyl cutter so they can do letters and graphics so keep your eyes out for that too.

http://www.ozarkshydrographics.com

Ok now on to my paint dilemma. We can't decide between gloss or satin finish. I'm doing a carbon fiber dip with a smoke finish clear coat. All the pics you see on the website of carbon fiber are in a high gloss finish. I like the way they look but I'm just concerned it might look too fresh and new for a 50 yr old bike?!?! What do you think??

Also I've never painted a bike before so I'm wondering - if I do go with gloss for the frame and forks, wouldn't I then have to go with gloss on the rest of the bike?? The guys at the shop are telling me that the carbon fiber doesn't look right with a satin finish so I don't know what to do.

Let me know what you think!!

Thanks!

Tailwinds said:
Hey where'd you happen to come by your bike? Was that the one on CL out near Lonedell, MO?

Are you stalking me?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just kidding. Yeah it is the one from lonedell!! Did you have your eye on it?? One just like it sold for $30 in jeff city like a week before I bought mine!! I should have bought the one in jeff city cause I ended up paying $50 for mine!

Where you from?

I'm on the Illinois side. I drove about 140 miles round trip in an almost-blizzard one morning to go buy that as-advertised "1930's boys Hawthorne", took a big chance because the old cowboy was unable to get photos of it on CL, but swore up and down that it was identical to what he rode as a child in the late 30's. Well, that was the one bike picking gamble that didn't pay off, I didn't even make the guy an offer.
It's definitely a nice and somewhat unique bike but it wasn't what he was advertising so I drove home with my tail between my legs, just wasn't what I was searching for at the time.
I like the side-by-side top tubes, you're well on the way to making it a really cool ride.

That's crazy!

Yeah I love the side by side too tubes too. That's what really sold me on this specific bike. I haven't seen too many like that. Thanks for not buying it. :smile:

Where are you in IL??

I live in downtown St. Louis

Lugisland said:
Check this out. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38474
I'm building up the same bike. There are some before pictures posted. I'm also a big fan of twin top tubes! Tom

That bike looks great! You have good taste in frames! :wink: :wink:

Build update:

The frames/forks are primed and should be completely finished by late this week. I hope they get them done in time because that will only leave me one week to finish them for my wife's birthday! I also have a friend of mine reupholstering the seats too. I can't wait to get them back!

I started working on the wheels in the meantime. I'm just getting them sanded now. I hope to have them painted by the end of the week too. They're actually cleaning up fairly well. All I've done so far is wash them and sand some rust off. I'm pretty pleased with how their coming.

Before -
bfd320da.jpg

After -
3cf213fd.jpg

Just picked this up:

22b958d6.jpg

I've been trying to find an affordable 3 speed hub and am having a hard time with it!! Solution? Buy a cheap bike that has one already. Switch the rear wheels out and sell the bike you bought. Now you've acquired the hub you need on the cheap, maybe even free or you may even make money on it if you can sell the bike you bought for a little extra coin!

Still looking for a cheap 3 speed hub for hers. I'll probably end up doing the same but she won't be riding as much as me so hers might be fine with a single spd.

Update on the 3 speed hub - apparently I'm a moron and forgot to make sure the bike I bought came with a 3 speed coaster hub. I'm painting my rims so I can't have v brakes. The 3 speed will have to wait. With my wife's birthday just a week away, I'll have to go ahead and finish them with single speed coaster hubs. In the future I might add disc brakes and a 3 speed freewheel hub or find some 3 speed coaster hubs.

On to some pictures - The frames, fenders, and tank for her bike have been sandblasted and primed. They should be painted by tonight and then dipped in a carbon fiber hydrographic print. After that a clear coat that has a tiny bit of candy apple black. They call it a smoke finish and it looks great. We'll see soon enough! I can't wait. Here's everything primed -

78311838.jpg

dc8e3293.jpg

218ed8f2.jpg

5dd5e7dd.jpg

So as they are putting the finishing touches on the frames, I am working on getting everything else finished. I have the wheels prepped for paint and will primer them tomorrow. I'm hoping to have the tires on them by Monday or Tuesday. I also will be painting the handlebars, crank and sprocket, seat posts, etc.

More updates to follow as they develop! I'm having a blast with this. I can't wait to get them finished and start on my next project! :) As for that 3 speed AMF bike I bought, I think it may have an electric motor in it's future somewhere. We'll just have to see, not sure yet. Stay tuned :mrgreen:

Got my first two wheels finished. (I still have to clear coat them)

I am extremely pleased with the color of the wheels! Thanks to fellow member Strings_and_steam for the info on paint. I loved his paint scheme and somewhat stole it from him! They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery and I hope Strings_and_steam feels the same way!!

Here are a few pics of the wheels:

2d7919bf.jpg

2210ad04.jpg

The frames, forks, and fenders are finished at the hydrographics shop and are being delivered tomorrow. Her bike won't be finished by then, but I should be able to get somewhat of a rolling chassis to present to her at her birthday party tomorrow night. The work they did on the frames etc is amazing. I can't wait for you guys to see it. Pics will follow soon!

Latest posts

Back