New Departure Model D Rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have pictures of all prior to assem, here are the discs. I did assem just like the vid posted. Everything went together fine.
What could cause it to not engage immediately upon forward peddle? I am new to this and this is really my first rebuild since I was a kid 45 years ago!! :D :D

308360_2052387232926_1341875798_31753916_900680971_n.jpg

The model D does indeed assemble in this configuration. However, according to my ancient New Departure booklet, the hub should not be lubricated with grease! New Departure recommends using "high quality oil".

So after you soak your inner hub parts in solvent (brake parts cleaner is even better, and don't hesitate to scrub parts with a brush) examine your brass clutch washers. If they're shiny, scuff off the shine with Emory paper, then make sure your internals and hub are grease, oil and dirt free, and then reassemble.

Oil your hub by adding "high quality oil" (I recommend Marvel Mystery Oil) through the oil fitting. Add oil in small amounts while operating your hub and spinning the wheel. This will help you evenly distribute the oil. It doesn't hold much oil, only about 1.5 ounces. Fill with oil until oil weeps out of the dust covers.

Now that your properly assembled and lubed, have fun pulling the best coaster skids the world has ever seen :)

Bigwaves, that bearing goes outside that mechanism, the bearings go in the bearing races on the oustides of the hubs. Check out the exploded and cut-away diagram/pics on page 1.

Blueboy5000 said:
Bigwaves, that bearing goes outside that mechanism, the bearings go in the bearing races on the oustides of the hubs. Check out the exploded and cut-away diagram/pics on page 1.

The bearing is in the correct place. It has to be on there before the brake pack. Check the cut-away.
2010-11-08135739.jpg

Whoops. My bad.

Hey guys! Thanks follow up. I have been riding the bike for a couple of months now, however when you first start out, the crank does rotate maybe 1/2 turn before it engages. I have not had time to take it apart again. More of a nuisance than anything else. Although I do know something is not quite right. I used the cutaway photo for my reference, even printed it out. I hope you don't mind me posting these.
Finding this old photo of me from 1964 is what inspired me to re build this 1961 frame I came across.
299579_2054523646335_1341875798_31755179_1676114870_n.jpg

Rebuild 1961 Schwinn American
313119_2052387712938_1341875798_31753919_1181868197_n.jpg

300055_2054509885991_1341875798_31755177_144178020_n.jpg

Just what I need. I just got a bicycle with this hub on it and it looks like it has years of gunk on it. I'll be taking it apart on hopefully get it running smooth as butter. Great post! Thanks.

Ok so I broke down my rear hub today and cleaned it out. First time doing this and everything was pretty straight forwards. The only question I have is do I put grease on the little discs found inside the hub? I put grease on them and now I feel like the hub doesn't move as free, feels a bit stiff. Another question, the rod that runs through the hub sticks out by about an inch on once side of the hub, is this normal?

acharles331 said:
Ok so I broke down my rear hub today and cleaned it out. First time doing this and everything was pretty straight forwards. The only question I have is do I put grease on the little discs found inside the hub? I put grease on them and now I feel like the hub doesn't move as free, feels a bit stiff. Another question, the rod that runs through the hub sticks out by about an inch on once side of the hub, is this normal?

The brake disc pack should be lubricated with oil, not grease. I use 3in1 oil or standard 30wt automotive oil.

What rod are you asking about? The axle? Some pictures of what you are asking about will help get an accurate answer.or you can reference the parts drawing on the first page of the thread.

udallcustombikes said:
acharles331 said:

The brake disc pack should be lubricated with oil, not grease. I use 3in1 oil or standard 30wt automotive oil.

What rod are you asking about? The axle? Some pictures of what you are asking about will help get an accurate answer.or you can reference the parts drawing on the first page of the thread.

So oil for the pack and grease for the bearings? Yes sorry the axel. See in the picture below how one side pertrudes out further then the other side.

6ce6c2cc529bc321405fe03d639f1fb8.jpg

Yup, oil the brakes and grease the bearings. You just need to recenter the axle and you will be in business. It should have the sane amount of threads on both ends of the axle so if it isn't going past that point the threads may be boogered up. New Departure had a proprietary thread size so you probably will not find a die to chase them with. You'll just have to clean them up with a small file.

udallcustombikes said:
Yup, oil the brakes and grease the bearings. You just need to recenter the axle and you will be in business. It should have the sane amount of threads on both ends of the axle so if it isn't going past that point the threads may be boogered up. New Departure had a proprietary thread size so you probably will not find a die to chase them with. You'll just have to clean them up with a small file.

Ok so I took care of the uneven axel. I oiled the brakes and greased the bearings, now I'm getting a squeek sound when I hit the brake. Am I suppose to grease the brake sleeve because I oiled it and I'm thinking this is why it squeeks. Am I correct or is the sleeve suppose to be greased? Any other things that could be the reason for the squeek?

Anyone had issues with squeaking new departure hub? I have grease and oiled the hub and whenever I hit the coaster brake hard it makes a crazy loud squeak. Anyone with any insight on the matter?

deorman said:
Sometimes lightly honing the plates will do the trick.

So it's the plates doing the squeaking and not the "drum" pushing into the hub? I'm getting to the point where I'm considering taking the bicycle to a bike mechanic. I'm going to try and hone the plates like you said first.

Thanks for all these hub rebuild post cameron! Good job Its awesome!

I have a question. The model d on my phantom was binding up and not very happy when I got it so I found your post pulled it all apart and one of the disc was broken into three. I had a set of nos disc so I cleaned everything up in my solvent tank and put it all back together it works great nice and smooth but wjen I go to stop I only have to pedal backwards maybe an eighth of a turn if that and it feels like it doesnt want to stop but if you push hard enough it will lock up the tire its just like a hard brake pedal on a car. Could it be that its because everythings new and im just used to slightly worn hubs? Or is it adjustable somehow?

Ty

Latest posts

Back