new fenderless stingrays on amazon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 new stingrays on amazon,fenderless,red or blue,looks like 67 style seat $309
81vs1gtQR3L._SL1500_.jpg

Ok, so if they can get the shape of the bars and the seat and the sissy right (or at least close) on the Apple Krate, why can't they do it on these?

If you think of them as a tribute bike more than a replica, you'll probably live longer :grin:. To me, its the forks...glaringly modern, and why do you need fender eyelets on a fenderless bike?

If you replace the forks and stem with vintage versions, 90%+ people probably couldn't tell if were vintage or new.

Jason

If you think of them as a tribute bike more than a replica, you'll probably live longer :grin:. To me, its the forks...glaringly modern, and why do you need fender eyelets on a fenderless bike?

If you replace the forks and stem with vintage versions, 90%+ people probably couldn't tell if were vintage or new.

Jason
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that they exist at all. I love the idea of tribute bikes, still have a couple of Black Friday Krates. I'm just saying that the repop Apple Krate comes up in the same Amazon search for Schwinn Sting Ray, so it's not like they didn't just make a whole bunch of nice-looking seats and bars... why not put the same seats and bars on these?

Totally agree that the vast majority of the population will be impressed with them just the way they sit. I would take one on our group's Thursday evening Retro-Ride without thinking twice. (If I got to keep it, though, I would start swapping parts eventually... :grin: )

I got a Redline SQB-26 for Christmas (Squareback 26). Haven't put it together yet and have already taken grief because its aluminum, double gusseted, etc...so, really nothing like a real squareback (a little in the graphics area...but that is it :grin:). I enjoy the retro thing in bmx...if I was a muscle bike guy, I'd enjoy the new stingrays as well (I already eyeball the parted out ones (frames) on ebay for retro bmx material :nod:).

Vintage or new, they are still over priced for a kids effing beach cruiser.

Why all the interest in muscle bikes anyway? The local junk/antique store can sell all they get and I find that strange. My kids grew up during that phase and I rescued and repainted a Stingray from neighbors garbage in the mid 80s and built it up for my son. It went to the Salvation Army Thrift Store when he was too big for it. He doesn't even like muscle bikes, he likes road and mountain bikes. I don't like them cause it wasn't part of my youth and I'm too old to get on one and bend my knees and back to pedal it. I only have bikes I can efficiently ride. Three of my older buddies do have quite a few in their collection and have them up high on display shelves. They don't ride them. I always pass on these. Why the allure of this type of bike? I really am interested in hearing why they are so popular.

Why all the interest in muscle bikes anyway? The local junk/antique store can sell all they get and I find that strange. My kids grew up during that phase and I rescued and repainted a Stingray from neighbors garbage in the mid 80s and built it up for my son. It went to the Salvation Army Thrift Store when he was too big for it. He doesn't even like muscle bikes, he likes road and mountain bikes. I don't like them cause it wasn't part of my youth and I'm too old to get on one and bend my knees and back to pedal it. I only have bikes I can efficiently ride. Three of my older buddies do have quite a few in their collection and have them up high on display shelves. They don't ride them. I always pass on these. Why the allure of this type of bike? I really am interested in hearing why they are so popular.

It's funny you should say that.

8 or 10 years ago when I got back into old bicycles, I was DYING to find muscle bikes. I bought a few Black Friday Krates when they were cheap at Wal-Mart, picked up an original Stingray at a yard sale, built up a Ross Apollo from a frame and some parts, traded for a Ross Barracuda. Tinkered with them, rode them around the block.

Then I found a group in the next town south from me that actually RIDES old bikes... weather permitting, Thursday evenings through spring, summer, and fall, we meet up at someone's house, ride for a couple of hours, end up at a pizza or ice cream joint, shoot the breeze about old bikes and whatever. Even though our rides are best described as a "pleasure cruise" and specifically routed to be as flat as possible, I discovered that muscle bikes are NOT a whole lot of fun to ride for any length of time. I started picking up middleweights and Collegiate-type bikes. They ride like Cadillacs by comparison, they can look pretty cool, and they are far easier on the wallet.

All that said, I haven't fully kicked my muscle bike habit. I let a couple of them go, but I think I'm keeping what I have now. I have discovered 24-inch muscle bikes like Manta Rays and Spyders, which kinda split the difference between looking like a Sting-Ray and actually being useful transportation. I don't know if I can explain what the allure is, other than to compare them to muscle cars. Drive a 1970 Mustang or Chevelle back-to-back with a late-model Mustang or Charger (or even a late-model Accord or Camry) and it's clear that the good old days were actually pretty lousy by comparison. Doesn't make me like old muscle cars any less. I have a '65 Impala that I have realized drives like a dump truck, but I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon.

I guess the new repop Amazon bikes are kinda like the new retro Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro. Gotta make concessions to practicality and functionality in the name of aesthetics. And those aesthetics may not resonate with everyone; it all depends on your sense of nostalgia and where it's focused.

It's funny you should say that.

8 or 10 years ago when I got back into old bicycles, I was DYING to find muscle bikes. I bought a few Black Friday Krates when they were cheap at Wal-Mart, picked up an original Stingray at a yard sale, built up a Ross Apollo from a frame and some parts, traded for a Ross Barracuda. Tinkered with them, rode them around the block.

Then I found a group in the next town south from me that actually RIDES old bikes... weather permitting, Thursday evenings through spring, summer, and fall, we meet up at someone's house, ride for a couple of hours, end up at a pizza or ice cream joint, shoot the breeze about old bikes and whatever. Even though our rides are best described as a "pleasure cruise" and specifically routed to be as flat as possible, I discovered that muscle bikes are NOT a whole lot of fun to ride for any length of time. I started picking up middleweights and Collegiate-type bikes. They ride like Cadillacs by comparison, they can look pretty cool, and they are far easier on the wallet.

All that said, I haven't fully kicked my muscle bike habit. I let a couple of them go, but I think I'm keeping what I have now. I have discovered 24-inch muscle bikes like Manta Rays and Spyders, which kinda split the difference between looking like a Sting-Ray and actually being useful transportation. I don't know if I can explain what the allure is, other than to compare them to muscle cars. Drive a 1970 Mustang or Chevelle back-to-back with a late-model Mustang or Charger (or even a late-model Accord or Camry) and it's clear that the good old days were actually pretty lousy by comparison. Doesn't make me like old muscle cars any less. I have a '65 Impala that I have realized drives like a dump truck, but I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon.

I guess the new repop Amazon bikes are kinda like the new retro Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro. Gotta make concessions to practicality and functionality in the name of aesthetics. And those aesthetics may not resonate with everyone; it all depends on your sense of nostalgia and where it's focused.

Yeah that helps, especially the muscle car bit. I have 57 and 67 Triumphs, both 650 cc. They move around the driveway, bounce all over when idling on their center stand. There is a blizzard of parts behind them every time you go over 80mph, but I still love them. The blizzard includes stuff like headlights because the mounts cracked from vibration and center and side stands, not to mention the odd bits. You have to do a lot of wrenching and adjusting. Funny how we like impractical stuff.

Yeah that helps, especially the muscle car bit. I have 57 and 67 Triumphs, both 650 cc. They move around the driveway, bounce all over when idling on their center stand. There is a blizzard of parts behind them every time you go over 80mph, but I still love them. The blizzard includes stuff like headlights because the mounts cracked from vibration and center and side stands, not to mention the odd bits. You have to do a lot of wrenching and adjusting. Funny how we like impractical stuff.

I just Googled those Triumphs. GORGEOUS bikes. They have a classic look to them, kinda like that's exactly what an old motorcycle SHOULD look like. I got my Class M a couple of years ago... don't know if I will ever actually buy a motorcycle, but it was kind of a bucket list thing to be able to say that I could.

but yeah, the Triumphs are probably a perfect example: sure, you could get a more comfortable or reliable or easier-to-ride bike, but that would completely miss the point.

I just Googled those Triumphs. GORGEOUS bikes. They have a classic look to them, kinda like that's exactly what an old motorcycle SHOULD look like. I got my Class M a couple of years ago... don't know if I will ever actually buy a motorcycle, but it was kind of a bucket list thing to be able to say that I could.

but yeah, the Triumphs are probably a perfect example: sure, you could get a more comfortable or reliable or easier-to-ride bike, but that would completely miss the point.
78484_095da297086d7457bb6a5ae3c98839fb.jpg

I grew up in the 60's/70's, so muscle bikes were definitely part of my childhood and I love them.

That said, I won't own a bike I can't enjoy riding, so I don't own a repop or original. However, I did build my own from a King Size frame with an adult size banama seat, and it is a very comfortable bike to ride. Not to mention, every time I ride some other old guy stops me and talks about his "Stingray" from childhood, and how much he loves mine.

Latest posts

Back