New from Cleveland

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wanted to say hi from the Northcoast of Ohio.
Started off as the neighborhood bike mechanic as a kid and forgot how fun it was wrenching on all the clobbled up old bikes!! Use to patrol the neighborhood on garbage night for throwaways for projects and parts donors.
I didn't buy my first new bike, a 1966 Schwinn Varsity after my dad agreed to pay for half of the bike after I saved up the rest at working at the local drugstore stocking shelves for $.75 Hr. It was an incredible $75.00!! Man, I wish I still had that one!
I rode that bike through a couple years of college, then pretty much haven't riden since.
So, here I am 40 years later, a few pounds heavier (6-3, 282lbs) and a 2yr non-smoker. I decided that riding again would be the best thing I could do to shed a few pounds.
I started looking at all the options to get my a** moving and decided a cruiser/beach bike would probably suit me to start.
With the availability of paved trails and what we refer to as the Ohio Canal Towpath that runs from Cleveland to Akron with little climbing, I decided on a Wally World Genesis Onyx Single speed 29er.
Well not being able to leave well enough alone, I soon discovered the world of Klunkers.
So, here is my start of my version of my modern day Klunker.
Tektro calipers, MTB bars, Shimano BB, Biomixc pedals. Lost the fenders and chain guard. Destickered. Still to come Schalbe Racing Ralphs and black chain.

Attachments

• Onyx1.jpg
    Onyx1.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 199
  • Onyx2.jpg
    Onyx2.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 193
Welcome!
Those Schwalbe tires will make a big difference on that bike. I had one of those 29er Onyx bikes and gave it to a needy person, it looked good but rode poorly. I thought it needed one more tooth on the rear cog and the tires weren't made for smooth rolling.
I'm from Cleveland originally, grew up in Sandusky in the 60's. We wore out many bicycles, being able to ride all summer long. I didn't learn about Cleveland Welding Company bikes until I lived in Florida, years later. One of those frames would be good for a klunker, but they didn't make one in a large size. At 6'3" you'll need that large Onyx frame.

Had my Onyx for 4 yrs now. Bought it off Craigslist Orlando for $70 with nice ape hanger handlebars! I get eyeballed everywhere I go, mostly by homeless, walking individuals that I know are thinking of jumping me to get my bike. Alot more people in Orlando than Medina, OH where I grew up. Hate the weather and hills there. Florida is warm & flat. I'm eventually going to put an 100cc motor on my chariot, and then I'll be cruising at 35 mph!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zfMVrkedZ4huoz6Y6https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Wnb3oF5EwjdiVmt9
You're replying to a 5 year old thread my dude. Pop over and make yourself a thread and tell us your story

👍

I've never posted a thread?
Easy peasy

Go up one level in this subforum and click on the button "post thread"

Screenshot_20220313-220321~2.png

Catchy title

Fill in the rest. Tell us about you and your bikes. What you're into, etc.....

Latest posts

Back