New Guy from SoCal..and my Schwinns

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone Im a 31 year old "Kid" from Los Angeles that till recently got the Schwinn bug again. It started when I was 10 Years old, I picked up a couple of Schwinn sting ray frames and made Lowrider bikes out of them..yes I know..lol.. but any how that came to an end when I purchased my first car at 15.. Bikes?! who needs bikes when you're a teen with a car.

Recently my girlfriend asked if Id like to join her for a bicycle ride, her oldest son has a beat up old cheap beach cruiser she said I could use, so I agreed. I hadn't rode a bike in 16 years and quickly found out how out of shape I was :D haha all and all I had a great time, Im having fun, and it sparked my Schwinn bug. 2 months later i have 3 complete bikes that I pieced together, The Typhoon and another Schwinn frame beggin for parts...guess I got it bad :D this is my collection so far and they are all still a work in progress...

1980 Schwinn..bought it as a frame only repainted, bought and rechromed alot of original parts, and settled for a few chinese parts but hoping to replace with vintage parts eventually :wink:
WP_000495.jpg

1979 Schwinn...My other Cruiser...this one is currently taken apart and out for sand blasting.. all the Original parts have been rechromed and Im just waiting to get it back and paint it.
Photo_E07F1B44-5338-A863-B27F-9C2946089F26.jpg

1979 Schwinn...not sure what Im goint to do with this one yet..most likely repaint and rechrome and keep it as a cool simple beach cruiser..
WP_000421.jpg

1964 Schwinn Typhoon...This one is my favorite and just picked it up.. I added the truss rods and flipped the bars cause Im digging the look.. I do have an Original set of S7 wheels for it but need to be repaired...
Photo_13D9D180-2C0B-500A-061D-4D374E143311.jpg

Im loving this site, thanks for letting me share :D and thanks for looking!

WELCOME !!! :) Love the Typhoon, not usually a fan of overspoked wheels but they looks great on that bike ! ... and how did you get the truss rods to fit ? usually have trouble fitting random truss rods to a middleweight bike unless you bend em, but those look to fit perfectly !

CCR said:
WELCOME !!! :) Love the Typhoon, not usually a fan of overspoked wheels but they looks great on that bike ! ... and how did you get the truss rods to fit ? usually have trouble fitting random truss rods to a middleweight bike unless you bend em, but those look to fit perfectly !
Thanks..The truss rods I got at a local Bicycle swapmeet and are original Schwinn for a 26inch bike...it was a score I paid 10 dollars for them. and well the wheels... I didnt want to put those wheels on it, but was eager to take it out for a cruise and as I mentioned the factory wheels are shot. But to be honest now that they're on there Im diggin the look of it... thanks again! :D

boybluela said:
Hello everyone Im a 31 year old "Kid" from Los Angeles that till recently got the Schwinn bug again. It started when I was 10 Years old, I picked up a couple of Schwinn sting ray frames and made Lowrider bikes out of them..yes I know..lol.. but any how that came to an end when I purchased my first car at 15.. Bikes?! who needs bikes when you're a teen with a car.

Recently my girlfriend asked if Id like to join her for a bicycle ride, her oldest son has a beat up old cheap beach cruiser she said I could use, so I agreed. I hadn't rode a bike in 16 years and quickly found out how out of shape I was :D haha all and all I had a great time, Im having fun, and it sparked my Schwinn bug. 2 months later i have 3 complete bikes that I pieced together, The Typhoon and another Schwinn frame beggin for parts...guess I got it bad :D this is my collection so far and they are all still a work in progress...

1980 Schwinn..bought it as a frame only repainted, bought and rechromed alot of original parts, and settled for a few chinese parts but hoping to replace with vintage parts eventually :wink:
WP_000495.jpg

1979 Schwinn...My other Cruiser...this one is currently taken apart and out for sand blasting.. all the Original parts have been rechromed and Im just waiting to get it back and paint it.
Photo_E07F1B44-5338-A863-B27F-9C2946089F26.jpg

1979 Schwinn...not sure what Im goint to do with this one yet..most likely repaint and rechrome and keep it as a cool simple beach cruiser..
WP_000421.jpg

1964 Schwinn Typhoon...This one is my favorite and just picked it up.. I added the truss rods and flipped the bars cause Im digging the look.. I do have an Original set of S7 wheels for it but need to be repaired...
Photo_13D9D180-2C0B-500A-061D-4D374E143311.jpg

Im loving this site, thanks for letting me share :D and thanks for looking!
Great looking bikes. Welcome to the best bicycle website forum in the world.

Nice bikes! What size wheels are you using on those? I'm working on an old beat up 1964 Hollywood for my girlfriend with no wheels and I'm looking for a cheaper set to replace the S-7s (saving my money to fix my 1954 Corvette).

toalltrains said:
Nice bikes! What size wheels are you using on those? I'm working on an old beat up 1964 Hollywood for my girlfriend with no wheels and I'm looking for a cheaper set to replace the S-7s (saving my money to fix my 1954 Corvette).
Hey thanks. They're all runing 26" wheels...My 64 Typhoon came with S-7s and I replaced them with S-2s, The S-7s were in pretty bad shape and tires for those are rare and expensive. Make sure to post pictures of your bikes, Id love to see them :D

inRUSTweTRUST said:
Greetings from Pico Rivera... You have a GREAT bike collection... I also like the flipped handlebar look, but not as comfy to ride.. WELCOME!!!
Hey thanks, Pico huh? Im from Commerce but stay in Whittier!

Latest posts

Back