New Hobby (New Addition)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Hobby

Should of called me would of help you......
Uncle Stretch said:
That is what this is Luke. Its the bigger of the small ones. Having a 14'' bed and a 4'' chuck makes it almost
acceptable as a lathe. They are fun to play with. I look at it and can't believe it weighs 250 pounds. I hurt
some stuff getting it out of my truck. I put it on a dolly and pulled it to the back, but had already hurt my
wife getting it out of the truck so I built a ramp to get it up on the bench. It was a lot easier to push 250
up a ramp than try to lift it again. He gave me a knurling tool and now lots of the stuff I have is knurled. :lol:
DSCF0001_zps314d2c24.jpg

Chuck I appreciate it , but then you would be limping around with a hurt back. I figured if
those Egyptians could do it with big rocks, I could figure out how to get a chunk of steel
up on my bench. Wasn't too bad. As soon as the feeling comes back in my two fingers I
will be good to go. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok none of this can be used for anything , but it gave me an idea of how much I can remove in a pass
without messing anything up. I did break that little thin parting tool. Maybe I went to fast. It kinda exploded.
Oh well they are probably cheap. I do like that knurling tool. its way cool.
DSCF0001_zps7ca04c5a.jpg

Yeah I was thinking of getting some 7/8'' ID aluminum tubing and making some knurled grips.
I know they already have them cheap, but they would be made by me. :wink:
Something about getting it set and hitting the feed lever, I find really soothing....watching it
change an ugly piece of metal into a pretty machined one.

Very cool find!!! I was going to say you could have done better with a used full size but then I see your shop area. Small as mine!
For a little mill, "JET," makes a small drill press/mill bench top model that'd work fine for triple trees but you'd have to be really good at layout. It has no scale on the feed handles!
Find yourself a "Machinist Handbook," it will have speeds and feeds which are critical when you start getting into something besides aluminum. Plus it has some really good information, pretty much a bible of metal working!

Parting tools have to have coolant, oil or water works, need a slower speed, and really really slow feed! Probably one of the hardest manual operations you could have tried!
Simple rule of thumb(hate that saying) is: If the tool turns black you are spinning to fast, if it breaks you had to much feed.
If you have enough power and tools are sharpened correctly, chips should turn a "straw," color when cutting steel.

What you see here are my first attempts at playing with a lathe. I know absolutely nothing about them.
I have tried to ingest so much information just to buy one, that I feel like I have brain freeze on ice cream.
I read all the sites and people post they want to buy a bottle rocket, and the guys tell them they need a titan
missile. They did the same thing with welders. The guy posts he wants a small 110 welder and they tell him he
needs a $8000 one that will weld the Alaska pipeline.
I will pickup a small bench top mill. May or may not get proficient with all of this, but its fun playing. A lot
more if you don't have a ton invested. I have read enough so far to be dangerous.

Yes, you did real well. The quick change tool post is sweet to have. Thinking of which, I use a plumb bob just cause I am lazy and it's fast to initially set my tools for center. Just chuck it up point out, bring the tool up to the point(with the lathe off), and adjust the height until the tool tip is at or just below center. Just below means .010" or ten thousandths, the thickness of 3 hairs!
I also thought of another less expensive book that's absolutely loaded with great knowledge, Starrett's beginning machinist book.

One thing in my favor is being a used machine, its pretty much set up to go. I did all the checks
and it looks like its pretty much on as far as the setup part goes. He bought all the tooling with
the changeable carbide tips. I have extras. I was surprised how hot the piece got. I ran lots of
passes on the 1 1/2'' DOM tubing. I tried .002 and .003 then the last I cut .005 I got the piece of
tubing all blue. Had to let it rest and cool a while. About .005 is the limit of what I can cut. I
will pick up a book. My fab buddy does a bunch of machine work on a big lathe. I will watch him
a little closer as to techniques . He can teach me while he works. :wink:

Can't wait to see what you make with it now!

Uncle Stretch said:
Lots of little squiggly pieces of metal on the floor so far. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Send those over to Tommy Atoms to use as hair on Victus Mortus.

Ok I actually made something that I could use. I got a quick change part with my lathe. It holds the
tool that bores out the inside of a tube. Anyway it has a 1/2'' x3'' round bar on one end. The hole in the
quick change part was 10/16'' so I made a bushing with a slot cut in it. Now the tool fits good and when
you tighten the two bolts its really tight. Problem solved. Of course it only cost me $500 for a bushing. :shock:
DSCF0003_zpsd683e331.jpg

Got my new addition today. Its a Grizzly G0704 mill. So this should round out my mini
machine shop nicely. That place is fantastic. I ordered it Friday at noon and they delivered
it from Missouri today. Only one mishap. The freight company dented the stand. I figure a
replacement will be here in a couple days. Going to be fun to learn how to use it.
DSCF0001_zpsb65bc92a.jpg

DSCF0003_zpsd799f364.jpg

Ok didn't hear from the company I bought the mill from on replacing my bent stand, so I decided to
build one real quick. Just leftover materials so nothing fancy....just sturdy. Will paint it tomorrow
and get the wood for the top. Should work ok.
DSCF0001_zps4c01c41c.jpg

built and painted.
DSCF0003_zps06370454.jpg

Latest posts

Back