New Hobby (New Addition)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted a lathe. Don't know how to run one ,but that is the fun part. I saw a Harbor Freight
8x12/14 on CL for $575. New they are a grand now at HF. With a 25% coupon its still about $900 with shipping.
This one is in good shape with added tooling so I figured I would buy it. When I got there he took $500 so
I was happy with my purchase. I could have gotten an older American one , but they run $1500 for them.
This silly little thing weighs 250. Found out my wife can't pick up 125 very good. So built a table for it
and started turning down anything that is metal and would fit in the chuck. Its a blast and I haven't
torn anything up yet.
Since building bikes has covered up my storage, hopefully this will solve the what to do problem.
DSCF0005_zps79d72c86.jpg

Had to build a big drawer to hold the tools.
DSCF0002_zps0b6701a3.jpg

DSCF0003_zpsd5353da2.jpg

My fab buddy is building me a metal cover for the top. Makes cleaning the chips easier.
Should have that tomorrow. So this is what I will be doing for a while. :wink:

Re: New Hobby

Uh O, next you'll be needing a brake and a shear. And how about one of those computerized plasma cutting thingy's? Enjoy!!!

Outskirts, will have to learn what to do first....them custom seatpost will be easy enough. :lol:
Steve with a 14'' bed length it would have to be a short...really heavy baseball bat. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Cashman I think the next purchase will be a Milling Machine. Then the fun will begin. Triple tree forks for everybody. :wink:

Shop is getting cleaner though.
DSCF0004_zps0db8b201.jpg

DSCF0006_zpsf0f19e46.jpg

That is what this is Luke. Its the bigger of the small ones. Having a 14'' bed and a 4'' chuck makes it almost
acceptable as a lathe. They are fun to play with. I look at it and can't believe it weighs 250 pounds. I hurt
some stuff getting it out of my truck. I put it on a dolly and pulled it to the back, but had already hurt my
wife getting it out of the truck so I built a ramp to get it up on the bench. It was a lot easier to push 250
up a ramp than try to lift it again. He gave me a knurling tool and now lots of the stuff I have is knurled. :lol:
DSCF0001_zps314d2c24.jpg

I I joined a hobby machinist club a couple of months back, just a couple of guys with varying interest s and skills. The others all have cool gear I Moody on theirequipmentss each months. We are building the.risers tomake a triple treethisvweekend.

Highlly recommended finding a similar group. Hobbymachinist.com issue a good site to find information on all types of machinist equipment.

Good luck!

Rich

I joined that Yahoo group, but they seen kinda snippy. May not be there long. I will check out yours.

Uncle Stretch said:
Triple tree forks for everybody. :wink:

I'll hold you to that...Should I PM you my address? :lol: :mrgreen:

Haven't bought a mill yet. That is coming. Can't build triple trees with a lathe....well I can't.
Did get my bench top built out of a piece of galvanized steel. Should make the cleanup easier.
DSCF0002_zpse84139fa.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
Haven't bought a mill yet. That is coming. Can't build triple trees with a lathe....well I can't.
Did get my bench top built out of a piece of galvanized steel. Should make the cleanup easier.
DSCF0002_zpse84139fa.jpg

Nice work, I can see many weeks of tinkering in the shop in your future.

Thanks Outskirts. I still have to build a little wall around the top so the chips will stay in there
and not on the floor. Then I'm steady going to look for a milling machine. The small ones they
make now will go good with the lathe. Might can actually build something worthwhile. Now where did
I put that billet stock? :roll:

That's neat Unc. Have fun and keep showing us what you make.

Okay, I got to ask; why fiddle with the sewing machine stand ? Seems like you could knock out a customer machine stand by lunchtime. Then you could angle the wall/fence around the lathe into a rectangle shaped funnel. An opening at the bottom and bucket to catch the chips. Nice and neat. You would lose the flat work surface and the tool drawer would interfere if it's deep.

My wife had the sewing machine in my shop for the last 6 years, since we moved it from the house.
Everybody needs a commercial Juki sewing machine. I hated it was in my shop. The tops always sag
and so I got to junk the Juki ..well store the head and throw away the top. Stand was already there.
An 8' 2x12 and a piece of 2x2 square tubing later ,I had a bench. The drawer is a full 22'' deep. I could see
where having the bottom opened into a trash can would have been a better idea. At 62 I hurt some stuff
wrestling it onto the bench. It will be a while before I try moving it again. Two of my fingers went numb
from my last power lift. The bad thing is I can still remember when I could pickup a small block chevy motor
and move it around my garage......ah to be young again. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Latest posts

Back