NEW KLUNKER IN TOWN

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching the Klunkerz trailer you will see a Joe Breeze early mountain bike, and a quick :idea: made me realize that if you had a mixte frame and added a top bar, you'd have a nice cheap replica. So, someone with that in mind for a klunker could be in the klunker build off on the anything goes side.

Think I found my rear wheel, NOS Rigida 26x2.125 rim, rim looks great but got it laced up last night to a hub, now I know why no one ever used it. Had a nasty pull in the rim where the weld is, trued and tensioned it then pry'd the kick out as best I could with an adjustable wrench. Still has a little hop at the weld but it should ride fine off-road :) may try squeezing the hop out with some leverage and a 2x4 but I think it may be as good as its going to get. Still looking around for hills to throw a bike down once build off time gets here though, waiting is hard ...

Find something else to do, like pre modify your frame and age it so come build-off time you can just claim that's how you got it. :wink:

I'll be doing the same, I've got all the parts sitting here for my Mercury Morgan bike, still need to grab a frame out of my attic and sand it down for the powder coater. I think I'm just going to slap the parts for it together on a different frame to take down the the Get A Grip show instead of waiting on PC. My old PC guy sold his business, this new guy I found doesn't sandblast :x Oh well.

OK, so, I just bought some parts, so far I have:

-frame
-rims
-hubs
-saddle
-bars
-stem
-chainring
-brake lever
-valve stem caps

I have to build the fork.

To buy/find:

-grips
-chromoly OPC
-chain
-seat post

What am I forgetting? Hoping that the spokes in the wheels will fit the hubs I'm putting in.

Yeah, have to wait for Price Point to do another free shipping weekend so that I can get K-Rads without the high shipping. Tubes... I've got tubes.

and I was looking forward to another Chuckz/HeavyDuti framed klunker builder in the running :cry: Does look like a worthy Alternate though, nice trusses you got there :shock: and Ford Taurus bike stand too

Peatbog said:
After 14 years, I found something the Taurus is good for.

Completely off topic but do you ever look at all these classic cars and hot rods and realize there wont be a single car from these last few generations still on the road 50 years down the line, I can think of tons of cars that have almost completely disappeared off the roads that were in production during my lifetime. Disposables I suppose. I would rock a Taurus wagon if the price was right btw :wink:

Awesome ! Do love those wagons. The might be a bit homely but no worse than anything else theyve rolled out lately. My wife drives a Dodge Magnum, looks cool, sorta quick, but the low roof line makes it a pain to drive and it doesnt fit as much as other wagons can handle. We had a 68 Pontiac Executive 4 door sedan, 22' long from bumper to bumper with a 400 BB. My personal favorite was a 90 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, got 8 miles to the gallon, I have been begging my wife to strip the mouldings off the Magnum and let me put some wood grain decals on it but shes not too keen on the idea. I think the Chevy Astro is going to be my pick for iconic 90s vehicles of the future. :lol: ... seriously though

CCR said:
Chevy Astro is going to be my pick for iconic 90s vehicles of the future. :lol: ... seriously though

Astro/Safari, RWD with the 4.3vortec, nice. My parents had the Safari, last van they had before dad gave up on finding RWD minivans nice enough to keep mom in. It had the rear that had the flip up glass and the double doors, very clever. I remember cruising try mall with it one night, leaving the '89 Mustang GT at home.

Love my '93 Camry wagon now.

Peatbog said:
Rear wheel drive is where it is at because you can steer the back end with the throttle. ...

By the way, the reason for the possible switheroo with the bike frame is that I have a plan with the ChuckZ/HeavyDuti frame that involves a Sturmey Archer combo rear drum brake and 9 speed cassette hub and a drum front brake and a cool leather seat and...well, stuff I don't have at the moment and will not have at the time of the build-off, so I am going with the lighter duty old Schwinn frame and using single speed wheels I already have. Basically, it brings the cost down. And speaking of Chuck, not long ago I bought some stuff from him but delivery was delayed. To make up for the less than speedy delivery, he went out of his way to make me happy. Really, after the way he handled the situation, I am glad the shipping was slow because I ended up with a much better deal than what I paid for. So, thank you, Chuck.

Some thoughts:
-Rear wheel drive IS where it's at. That's why the pickup trucks, which are the last body-on-frame, RWD vehicles we've got (Except for Chevy Express vans and ford Econolines, which are slated to be replaced by a unibody Sprinter look-alike for 2014 :shock: :x ), will be the classics of the future. I love my Taco.
-The Chevy Astro/GMC Safari is pretty rockin', too. I'd love to get my hands on one with no side or rear windows. Can't live with a slushbox transmission, though.
Back to bikes!
-Chuckz is a top-ranking seller. I almost feel bad, b/c I almost expect him to have certain things "in stock", as if he keeps an inventory. And, basically, I think he does.
-Putting a Sturmey-Archer x-rdc in a Heavy Duti will require an inch of spreading at the rear. Do whatcha like; it is your bike, but in my experience, that kind of radical change at the stays, especially on a mild steel frame, will make for noodley handling. You can more easily squeeze an x-rd3 in there and spread it a mere 6mm. I have the thread-on freewheel version on a worksman; it's spaced down to 110 with a single cog, so I didn't have to modify the frame. You could run a 5speed block on there and keep it at 120mm spacing, which is pretty close to the stock setting. Just sayin'...

Peatbog said:
I measured that last weekend and said to myself "Self, that is a 1" spread you got to do there. That could be interesting." But the 5 speed would work for me. If I decide to spread the frame I was thinking about not only spreading it, but also shortening the seat and chain stay lengths because the wheelbase is more of a cruiser length than a mountain bike length anyway. But basically, I just want to cut something up and weld it back together in a different shape. It is a fault of mine. I do like the idea of the threaded 5 speed freewheel however. I will have to look at that idea a bit. It would make things much simpler.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/1/id/32 Here's the hub you want. The black spacers can be removed to kick it down from 135 to 110, and reconfigured with other spacers to measure anywhere in between.

If you're going to hack that thing up regardless, when you shorten the stays, space em out to 120mm and maybe try to swap in some vertical steel dropouts with a derailer hanger? Justt an awesome thought...

I worked on my bike tonight. :shock: While out in the shop fixing the neighbor's tire I glanced up at my 26" wheel gear chart up on the shop wall. I know that on the local trail I like to single speed at around 50 gear inches, so being that I ordered a 36t Chop Saw today I was checking to see what kind of cog I would need on my Bendix hub. I guess mental work is allowed now... if not, there's always the Anything Goes build-off.

Peatbog said:
You know if you catch a b***y again, that will freak me out.

Me too.

The way you censored "bunny" made it look dirty, I wonder If it works on any word...

"Big B**d lives near E**o on S****e street. "

yoothgeye said:

I used to rock kinetics on my ol' Bianchi M.U.S.S... They were great, and I loved the huge knobs. I also thought the front/reAr-specific tread patterns were divinely moto. Thing is, the stick-E compound is awesome on trails, but a few skids on asphalt will tear them up VERY quickly. I'd only rock them again on a bike that I was going to use strictly for trails.

I've been thinkin about a pair of Small Block 8's in my future, especially now that they have a cheaper version...

Latest posts

Back