New project: Gossamer the Bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, decided I needed a fat tyre bike. Thinking 3.5” to keep things simple. This frame uses an English BB, so my carbon cranks will go on nicely. I have an ISIS BB for a road bike, so we should be good. Thinking BMX theme, kinda. The forks may be a bit funky, however...

Here is what is coming to me thus far:
AC17DEB2-0E61-4C45-88FC-1D553D2EB61D.jpeg
31C57CC5-47F5-4CC9-92E3-C0575ED8463A.jpeg
4C85E8F5-EB2E-4816-99A5-872FF1344C4C.jpeg

Should this get white walls, slicks, or something else? Paint with Bedliner sauce or polish and get powdered candy gold? I am thinking of using a 9 speed Dura Ace rear mech with an abbreviated cassette. I don’t want to use a Ti cassette on this.

I do think SE Big Honkin’ Cruiser bars or do something totally crazy.

The bars are NOS GT Expert, and the height is perfect for a monster wheel bike.

I found out what the “proprietary” BB was: a 151mm BB; I bought a 148mm ISIS BB; 1.5mm per side of the shell shouldn’t make much of a difference. As I remember, ISIS axles are slightly more low profile than JIS taper BBs.

The hope is that it won’t be too hard to get components to work properly on this bike.

I am still bummed that this is neither RAW or the stickers are easily removable. First order of business was to remove the mech hanger. None of that noise for this bike.

Bought some tyres. Ain’t cheap. Tubes are $12-15 each!!!

I am concerned about the triple fork I bought.

Stay tuned...

I put one pair from my large supply of mint grips onto the expert bars (after installing the brake handle).

Hopefully, the fork works! I did see other alternatives in a suspension flavour. I really don’t want the complexity of suspension on here. Just like I ultimately decided against a rear mech (mainly as the cassette may have had room for two cogs at the most), suspension adds maintenance factors I don’t care to deal with.

If anyone has painted a bike frame in bed liner sauce, are there any new ones I should try or just go for the ol’ Rustoleum?

Last edited:
I am enjoying your quest for the perfect bike off this frame. I am having a struggle with my own setup for "She who must be obeyed." !!! Be Well, SS.

Latest posts

Back