New question maybe??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might not be a big topic on here, but how do you turn a free coaster into a brake coaster. Is there a kit?? A diy trick??

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

Sorry if i ask a stupid question, but what exactly do you mean by free coaster? Freecoaster is a popular setup for new school BMX bikes, it is actually a special kind of hub they use, if you mean that then there is no way to turn it into coaster brake, since the hub has not enough space inside for braking pads. If you mean a home-modified coaster brake hub that was once taken the brake pads out and now it is kind of a freewheel, then it could be converted back by taking it apart and putting the new brake pads back. The easiest way to do that is to buy (or find in the trash) a similar used hub. And at last if you meant just freewheel setup, then like in the first case, you'd have to re-lace your wheel into new hub, those have no space for coaster setup either.

True. If I understand that your intent is to change a non-braking hub into a braking one, then the only reasonable alternative is substitution.

Sorry if i ask a stupid question, but what exactly do you mean by free coaster? Freecoaster is a popular setup for new school BMX bikes, it is actually a special kind of hub they use, if you mean that then there is no way to turn it into coaster brake, since the hub has not enough space inside for braking pads. If you mean a home-modified coaster brake hub that was once taken the brake pads out and now it is kind of a freewheel, then it could be converted back by taking it apart and putting the new brake pads back. The easiest way to do that is to buy (or find in the trash) a similar used hub. And at last if you meant just freewheel setup, then like in the first case, you'd have to re-lace your wheel into new hub, those have no space for coaster setup either.
Yes the bike I'm building I'm putting 20 inch wheels on them. And they are from a old bmx bike I have. I have looked into it a little more. And there is free coaster. Like you said for newer bmx bikes. And then there are coaster brake and cassette??? I'm new to all this so I'm sure I'm going to sound like an idiot for a few more posts. Before I get the hang of it. OK alternate question. Disc brakes!! Easy install? Extra fabrication? Worth it???

Not being a BMX guy, I had to do some research into your question--it gave me a real education. I now understand what a freecoaster is and how it operates, as opposed to a more conventional coaster brake hub. What they really share is the name and not much else.

Could a brake be added to its internal mechanism? I won't discount that, but I dare say the task would be well beyond the abilities of yours or mine.

Discs--there are various adapter kits available, but every one I've seen presumes you will be using a hub already designed to accept them. Their focus is on the frame, rather than the wheel.

Not being a BMX guy, I had to do some research into your question--it gave me a real education. I now understand what a freecoaster is and how it operates, as opposed to a more conventional coaster brake hub. What they really share is the name and not much else.

Could a brake be added to its internal mechanism? I won't discount that, but I dare say the task would be well beyond the abilities of yours or mine.

Discs--there are various adapter kits available, but every one I've seen presumes you will be using a hub already designed to accept them. Their focus is on the frame, rather than the wheel.
Yes I've done more research as well. My first initial thought was but a disc brakes kit and screw it to the hub.... That is definitely not the case! So new hub, and fabricating a bracket to the frame and forks.. I sure bit off more than I can chew with this one. But my dilemma is I'm putting 20 inch wheels on a 26 inch bike. So the brake mounts are way out of range. That's why the coaster brake and disc question.. I'm at a stand still now..

In your situation, I can offer one practical suggestion: clamp-on brake bosses. I doubt that fits into your vision, but they would provide a functional solution. Perhaps mount them low, on the chain stays, to help conceal their presence?

6481735357_c2b325a7c8_o.jpg

It might be best for you to further explain your goals and vision. Are you wanting to put free coaster 20" wheels on the 26" frame simply because that is what you have or are you "wanting" to do this because you have a plan to make something totally unique?
In the big scheme of things its probably easiest to just get some cheap wheels that actually fit your frame, but easy may not be your goal. Lots of people here do things the hard way because they want to end up with a truly one of a kind bike, and the results of that approach can be truly rewarding.
Reading your comments here and in your other thread it sounds like you may be trying to take the long way around because you actually think its a short cut to use what you already have. You will spend lots more time and money making incompatible parts go together than you will just getting stuff that already is designed to work together properly.
I am only on this forum for the simple fact of uniqueness. What people have done on here is truely unique. I have a vision for this bike. I could do anything I want with it. I have a pair of 24s.... I don't want 24s I want 20s. I want to do something not many have done before. So for that reason. I'm trying to ask as many Q's as I can before I buy something that isn't necessary.

I would be stunned to discover that is the case. A freecoaster hub can only function in one direction--it isn't a flip-flop. Good idea, though.
Good point...I was reading it as freewheel hub...not free coaster. Never been a freestyle/park/stunt/etc guy, so free coaster wasn't registering properly in my brainpan :bigsmile:

Jason

Good point...I was reading it as freewheel hub...not free coaster. Never been a freestyle/park/stunt/etc guy, so free coaster was registering properly in my brainpan. :bigsmile:
Yeah there are many different hubs I've learned here recently!!

Latest posts

Back