New RatBiker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my first post. Just found the site yesterday and thought it looked like a group of like minded dudes talking bikes. I'm a self professed roadie(sorry) with a decent collection of vintage steel road bikes. Love the classics. I have steel Pinarello's, Torelli's, Raleigh's, Peugeot's, Fuji's and so on... My newest build, and the one that brought me here, is a 1971 JCPenny Swinger 1. I rescued it from a pile of almost 100 bikes in a dump. Beautiful patina and in need of some serious restoration. I also have a hand full of classic cars, 57 Chevy's being my fav. So I built the Swinger as a 57 Chevy themed bike. Pretty cool and also fun to tool around on. I'll post pics in my next visit. Just wanted to say hey, and I'm looking forward to checking out other's and their cool ideas. Ride on.

Pics of my 57 Chevy Swinger
20210313_080414.jpg
20210221_175211.jpg
20210313_080353.jpg
20210313_080422.jpg
20210305_204348.jpg

You ain't alone, there are a few road bikes here. Wether you are worthy of forgiveness remains to be seen. That super cool Hurst shifter layback seatpost goes a long way towards redemption! Is that an actual shoebox taillight? More points. I think we'll be able to look past your skinny tire problem

It's not to late, you found us... Have you hot rodding the roadies in no time!
That is a cool muscle bike. Seat post is sweet.

Welcome mate. You’ll be converted to the big tire stuff soon. Love the swinger with the hurst post.

Thanks guys. This was a super fun project. I started digging through boxes of 57 Chevy parts and the first thing I decided to use was the Bel Air script off the dash trim. It looked so perfect on the chain guard it looks almost factory. Then I machined the mount to use the hood spear on the head tube. It was on from that point. Fender louvers on the sprocket, and hacking up a tail light to make the rear "reflector". I found the new banana seat but it was kind of short for the bike. I played around with a couple of ideas on how to get the seat post to lay back enough to use the seat. I found the Hurst shifter sticking out of a box of crap and instantly knew that would be the perfect way to not have to buy a longer seat. It is fun to ride and always a good conversation starter. So much cool stuff on this forum makes me want to start another build.

Welcome to the best custom rat rod bike forum on the internet, @JZooky !

Cool work on that rat! I caught this at the end of your recent post,
"So much cool stuff on this forum makes me want to start another build. "

Here's the perfect oppotunity; the Rat Rod Bikes annual Build-off #16 ! Starts May 1st if it stays on the schedule it's been on for the past 10 yrs or so, and runs through the summer. This is the platform many of us have used to get fully 'steeped' in the ways of rat rod bikes. Lots of tips, tricks, and general enthusiastic give and take happen during this featured event on RRB.

Keep your eyes open for the start up info coming later in April, and the launch on May 1.

Latest posts

Back