1. The forum software will be upgraded on Thursday evening (April 2). During this time the site may be down for a period of time to make the change. Thanks for your patience as we do the work!
    Dismiss Notice

NEW STUFF AT WAL-MART (Op Bike PICS ADDED)

Discussion in 'BIKE TALK' started by Rat Rod, May 4, 2010.

1. jayblok

jayblok

2. idiotboy

idiotboy

Had to stop there today for work, nothing special just some cranbrooks and a panama jack, but these wide lime green wheels looked cool [​IMG] and these orange stripe tires would be great on the right bike [​IMG]

jayblok likes this.
  3. jayblok

jayblok

Yea, those lime green wide wheels are so Kool, I wish I didn't get rid of the ones I had...

4. kngtmat

kngtmat

Schwinn Midway

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Margaritaville and had a parrot on the handlebars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another one of those $99 fixie's with wild colors.

[​IMG]

5. kngtmat

kngtmat

6. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

KJV likes this.
  7. Brockwan

Brockwan

Please excuse my ignorance of my question folks...
    AS someone from a mountain biking background the components on these packaged wally world bikes are no more than appalling, and that spands their whole collection of bikes mtbs, roadies, cruisers etc. Am I missing something? Are people buying them to strip down and use just the frame?

Go light on me I'm still new round these parts.

8. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have bought a Schwinn Aerovane from WallyWorld just to harvest these tires.
    [​IMG]

sprocket, KJV, ZygoteLittle and 7 others like this.
  9. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

To follow on TRM’s comment, the interest for this thread (for me anyway) is to see if the big box is selling any cool parts that are attached to garbage (like the tires he mentioned). Buying the bike, robbing ‘the’ part and selling it on Craigslist or FB Marketplace for $25-$50 less than the store, is equivalent to paying $25-$50 for ‘the’ part and now it’s ‘custom’ from the part you replaced...

But what I find equally ‘entertaining’ is seeing how the designers at ‘Schwinn’, ‘Huffy’ or whomever that lurk or troll this site (yes, we know you’re here and you do it), ‘adapt’ the trends that WE are setting in ‘beach cruiser’ bikes and mass market them. That last link is a prime example, we’ve been slapping apehangers, mags and ‘built-in’ tanks on bikes for years....now you can buy it for under $200 online...

I wonder how long until they come out with a ‘strandie’ or ‘26” BMX’.....I could use some cheap 26x3 gumwall knobbies on the one I’m building...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Brockwan

Brockwan

This all makes complete sense now. From your pic, the outcome is def worth it

11. RustyGold

RustyGold

It is fairly common for people to throw on a set of wally cruiser wheels on a vintage rescue just to get it back on the road, as well. I have three wallyworld bikes that I bought new for projects...two are in boxes still, one I rode the heck out of until I taco'd the rear rim doing a kickout to splash a mud puddle at one of my kids. Single wall 29" rim taco'd real bad :grin:

Jason

12. gowjobs

gowjobs

I just received my Kokomo today. Those mags are cool, but are HEAVY AS ALL GET OUT. The rest of the bike is going to Trashman ReCycles to be turned into a rider for somebody else.

13. gowjobs

gowjobs

Pics of the Kokomo wheels in a 26" DX frame and girder fork.
    IMG_20180414_144926_214.jpg IMG_20180414_144457_762.jpg

14. clouseau

clouseau

Thanks for posting this Kokomo bike!

I measured the hub, and it appears they also left enough aluminum that I can cut either one down and thread on disc brake adapters. https://www.ebay.com/i/292044349903?chn=ps

I think these wheels might be going on my next build painted either fire truck or wagon wheel red.

gowjobs likes this.
  15. gowjobs

gowjobs

Good thinking. I was going to use rim brakes with them, but if the hub body is actually over 1-3/8" diameter, it wouldn't be too hard to find someone with a lathe, and then use a 24tpi die to thread them for an adapter ring or an ARAI drum brake, maybe.

16. idiotboy

idiotboy

[​IMG] curved seat tube on this one is pretty cool, didn't see a men's version though

17. idiotboy

idiotboy

Also saw this "Schwinn" at sears [​IMG]

ZygoteLittle likes this.
  18. handyandy1100

handyandy1100

Sears? You still have one of those? I think all we have is a scratch and dent outlet store. Maybe I need to look there for bikes...

19. gowjobs

gowjobs

I put the unthreaded (left) side of the rear hub between the jaws of my micrometer last night, and it comes out at about 1.48". I think I may buy a 1-3/8" -24 die, and just set the wheel in a truing stand and spin it while I carefully turn down the diameter with a file those last eleven thousandths to make it fit. I wonder how much of that is powdercoat.

kingfish254 likes this.
  20. arty dave

arty dave

Those tyres are really nice...the aerovane is no longer available. Do Schwinn sell tyres separately?