New Sturmey-Archer singlespeed coaster....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So, I saw an ad in the latest issue of Bicycle Times, (which, incidentally, has another of my letters printed in it again), and Sturmey-Archer is back in the SSCB business again, this time with aluminum hubshells and ano color options. Sturmey-Archer doesn't have anything on their site nor their blog as of yet, nor is there like ANY mention of the hub yet from searching Google (maybe I'll be the first person to talk about this hub on the interwebs!), but I wanna put an APB out on any info on this hub. It's called the Sturmey-Archer S1C, which roughly fits the late-/current-production Sturmey-Archer Taiwan nomenclature, meaning something like aluminum/1 speed/Coaster brake. If y'all happen to find any reviews, info, or ads for it online, please post it here....

Can't wait to get my hands on one to test it, even though I'm thinking it will probably be a bit of a turd. I know others have made CB hubs with al shells, but I don't trust it, somehow (even though I've had no issues with al-shell multispeed coaster hubs. Probably just me being obsessive.)

Wow, another Sturmey!
They have been coming on strong the last couple years, good!
If the new hub is completely rebuildable, I don't mind an alloy shell, but have never had one with a lightweight shell.....

The SA single speed coaster looks very nice. This hub is designed from new to be used on adult bicycles. Most all hubs used on cruisers were designed for use on a youth bicycle so do not expect much from them.

Hmm, an internet search 8 months later reveals almost as few results ... anyone know if this thing is going to see the light of day? I love the other anodized shells SA has out there.

The SA single speed coaster looks very nice. This hub is designed from new to be used on adult bicycles. Most all hubs used on cruisers were designed for use on a youth bicycle so do not expect much from them.

Yeah, I read that about being designed for adults, but I'm not sure I believe it. From what I've seen in their 2014-2015 catalog, it appears that the only aspect of the hub that's been "upgraded" for adult riders is the marketing. As I recall, the last Sturmey-Archer 1speed coaster was a F&S/Perry knock-off, and it appears that the new hub is of similar design (rollers), but I believe the "designed from the ground up" bit b/c it seems that they've updated the guts to fit their existing hubshell, as evidenced by the stupid 116mm OLD spacing. OTOH, i think it's interesting that they're apparently going with a metric 10x1mm axle, and i'm psyched that it's s'posed to be chromoly-- maybe that's the "for adults" upgrade? (FWIW, I like to put chromoly axles in cb-e110 hubs, just for peace of mind.) Even better: the catalog indicates that they'll be offering each color in both 36h and 32h drillings.

Hmm, an internet search 8 months later reveals almost as few results ... anyone know if this thing is going to see the light of day? I love the other anodized shells SA has out there.

Can't say for sure, but SunRace has had a history of delaying their new S-A releases. They did this with the s3x and (to a lesser degree) with the s2/s2c... If we were smart, we'd be checking the European retailers, as I've found that they tend to get some of this stuff before we do, plus they get some stuff that we never get (eg, S-A flip-flop track hubs in various colors/drillings).

Well it is page 34 of their 2014-2015 printed catalog. I saw the hubs at Interbike and I have a friend who knows the owner of Sun Race (SA) checking on them while he is in Taiwan.

Yeah, that's how i found out about the 10x1mm chromo axle.... further down the pdf, in the specs section, they got the bad news about the spacing...

Frame spreading time for me, no worries. I wish they had some options for 126mm, 130mm, and 135mm.

I'm not worried about spreading the frame... if i worried every time a component manufacturer did something stupid, I'd be panic-stricken at all times.. I'm also disappointed that they made a 119mm OLD version just by putting a 3mm spacer on the driveside... they oughta make wider versions on wider hubshells, so the chainline can be optimized....

Well, 2 years later, and I've finally ordered a Sturmey-Archer S1C, in gold. As soon as it gets here from Deutschland, I'll post some pics, do a teardown, see what's going on inside, etc. Then, I'm lacing it up and running it on my looptail mystery frame that I bought from @||TheDude|| ... i got a matching gold Sturmey HBT30 to run up front. Should be rad....

Last edited:
Well, 2 ears later, and I've finally ordered a Sturmey-Archer S1C, in gold. As soon as it gets here from Deutschland, I'll post some pics, do a teardown, see what's going on inside, etc. Then, I'm lacing it up and running it on my looptail mystery frame that I bought from @||TheDude|| ... i got a matching gold Sturmey HBT30 to run up front. Should be rad....
Man, i am the same way when I find something I want. Luckily I am big "Hope" fan. Gonna lace those chukkers you recommended up to a set of hopes! The frame will prolly be the weak point!

If you're lacing Hope Pro4 hubs into some Chukkers, you won't have a lot to worry about. Get'm built right, and it'd take an RPG-7 to take those wheels out. :comando:

Latest posts

Back