New To Site...First Ever Bike Build For Me !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rats. I just signed up, but have been lurking since I discovered this site during the last week of the RBBO. You guys have fantastic building skills and unbelievable amounts of creativity. I really enjoy this place and have learned a lot from looking at the projects, tech tips, etc.

My name is Chris. My hobby is the restoration of vintage motorcycles and mini bikes. Most of my builds are restorations to original - although I’m looking forward to a “resto-mod” in the future.

I just completed my first ever bicycle build and thought I would share “before” and “after” pics for you experts to have a look !

My wife and I have an oceanfront vacation home on the North Carolina coast. During the summer, it’s quite difficult to get around by car due to tourist traffic. I’d been kicking around the idea of getting a Beach Cruiser to use for local transportation, but didn’t want to drop big bucks on an expensive new bike because the salt air takes its toll on things pretty quickly. I also wasn’t too interested in getting a more affordable department store bike because I wanted something that had more “character”.

To make a long story short......a neighbor gave me this thoroughly rusted out, 80’s-era Jamis Earth Cruiser. It was totally unrideable (rims rusted through, spokes broken, no chain, no seat and so forth). My challenge was to bring it back to life for as little money as possible. I recycled and refurbished as many original parts as I could. My final cost for the entire project was around $70 USD.

This is a “Rat-inspired” project done totally with “spray bombs”. It turned out surprisingly well for my first attempt.

Being a newbie, I probably violated a cardinal rule of Ratdom by using high gloss base with high gloss clear to top it off. Oh well.... live and learn. There's always the next project to make rattier.

I’ve named her POLE GIRL. She rides as good as she looks !

If any of you are interested, it would be my pleasure to start a separate post showing some chronological pics of this build in the Bike Gallery section.

Really looking forward to being a part of this community.

Thanks,

Resto

Before

BeforeR.jpg

After

RRearView.jpg

welcome..
hey, that bike looks great! don't tell anyone but i've got some shiny bikes too... :shock:
lets see some minibike pictures in the other bikes section?!? I think thats the right place. Maybe the other talk section...
Yustin

[quote=Being a newbie, I probably violated a cardinal rule of Ratdom by using high gloss base with high gloss clear to top it off.
Thanks,

OHH MMMYYY GGGGOOOODD HE USED GLOSSSS AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

don't worry I don't think there is any cardinals here.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
this is NOT a certian NAME BRAND BIKE.com site or resto BY-THE-BOLT SITE ..have fun building something..one of a kind or a copy of some thing here. Myself and I'm sure others, have used Ideas brought forth here, have fun......oh ya WELCOME

:shock: :mrgreen: 8)

Hey Chris,

Welcome.

Your bike looks awesome...even with the glass paint. :wink:

How did you hear about the site?

Steve

Welcome aboard. Nice work for a rattle can paint job. That's the most important part of a rat in my opinion, do the very best you can with not much. You have met that challenge very well. Your bike is definitely a rat. :mrgreen:

it looks great!

so what if you used glossy paint?

this isnt the H.A.M.B.

i encourage you to build your bikes, the way YOU want!

nice job, and welcome!

oct.

welcome to RRB. That was a great transformation. "Pole Girl" will still have good Karma.

Did you relace those rims?

Wow ! I had no idea a newbie would get so much commentary from the pros on this site. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

I've posted my build at:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1418

I'll use this one post to give quick replies to some of the individual questions some of you asked:

Rat Rod - I found this site by Googling "Rat Rod". A fellow motorcyle restorer had posted pics of a Rat Rod Honda Z50 mini bike. I had no real knowledge about the concept, but it looked like something I could envision for the bicycle project that turned into Pole Girl. Glad I took the time to research it - or I never would have found you guys.

xddorox - You, my friend, are the reason I was able to pull off this build. I know motorcycles backwards and forwards, but was clueless when it came to something as simple as a single speed bicycle. I stumbled across your blog and learned how to disassemble the crank and paint a bike with rattle cans. Your pictorial tech tips are priceless.

clothespin "n" - I media blasted the chrome and did quite a bit of hand sanding to scuff it up and "degloss" it. Next, I used Dupli-Color Etching Primer (the green stuff) to etch the metal. I followed that with Keystone Grey (filling and sandable) Primer to get a smooth surface before hitting it with my spray bombs. BTW, I'm in awe of your building skills. Your talent is amazing and your positive outlook and willingness to help others is a true gift.

cman - I didn't relace the wheels. The original wheels were shot. Rims were rusted through at the spoke nipples. I used another set of wheels that had good spokes and rims - although the chrome was flaking off. I media blasted them - claned and polished the hubs - masked the hubs -etching primered the spokes and rims - painted the spokes - masked the spokes "clothespin "n" - style" - painted the rims - removed the spoke masking - hit everything with clear - then finally removed the hub masking.

Hooch - This one's an older Jamis with a steel frame. Heavy as can be and had quite a bit of rust pitting that took a lot of elbow grease to remove. You are correct about the newer Jamis Cruisers - they have alloy frames.

Yustin - I'll work on getting a few of my motorcycle and mini bike projects posted in the near future. Those pics are on my external hard drive (which isn't hooked up at the moment). Thanks for your interest.

aka_locojoe - Thanks for your encouragement. I have posted a build thread per your request.

To all others not mentioned above... Thanks, it's great to be a part of this group.

Resto

Welcome Resto!!! Your bike turned out VERY nice!!!! Nothing wrong with a little glossy clear for some durabilty. Job well done and yes some of your motorcycle pics I would like to see. :D Thanks, Troy.

Great work Resto...
thanks for the comments....you made my day! :D

and it sounds like The Media Blasting, Acid Etch Primer, high build Primer,
Finish coat steps you took ,where PERFECT in Preping a Chrome bike.

It's a beautiful Bike....and it looks like your attention to details
have carried over from your other Restoration Hobbies....

I look forward to seeing more of your builds...

peace,
Kev.

Latest posts

Back