newbie questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a set of BOA-G tires for a project bike , and they don't fit the frame I have... Obviously all 26" baloon bike frames are not created equal . Any suggestions on finding a frame that will work for this project???.......

Wish there was a simple answer, but for the most part it just takes trial and error.
Each frame brand/era is different.
You have to also consider what rims you are using. Tires will be narrower on skinnier rims than they are on fat rims.
You also have to consider what forks you have. You may find a frame that the tires fit in, but they won't fit your fork.

I was able to use BOAs on starsNbars (my Hawthorne Twin frame) with some worksman wheels, but I doubt that I could have used them on 3G 57mm wheels

I could not use BOAs on VerBoten (my Elgin Twin Bar) with the 3G 57mm wheels that I had, but I might have been able to with narrower wheels.

It's been my experience from looking at other builds that it's trial and error. Now there are some frames that are wider in the rear than others. For instance, @texasbigjon was able to put an 80mm wheel into a stock Evans (I think) frame in BO10 recently. Others can chime in on what other frames are fatter.

You could also search the site for BOAS and see what frames they were used in. Just make sure that no frame mods or drop extensions were needed for the builds.

Good luck.

Wish there was a simple answer, but for the most part it just takes trial and error.
Each frame brand/era is different.
You have to also consider what rims you are using. Tires will be narrower on skinnier rims than they are on fat rims.
You also have to consider what forks you have. You may find a frame that the tires fit in, but they won't fit your fork.

I was able to use BOAs on starsNbars (my Hawthorne Twin frame) with some worksman wheels, but I doubt that I could have used them on 3G 57mm wheels

I could not use BOAs on VerBoten (my Elgin Twin Bar) with the 3G 57mm wheels that I had, but I might have been able to with narrower wheels.

It's been my experience from looking at other builds that it's trial and error. Now there are some frames that are wider in the rear than others. For instance, @texasbigjon was able to put an 80mm wheel into a stock Evans (I think) frame in BO10 recently. Others can chime in on what other frames are fatter.

You could also search the site for BOAS and see what frames they were used in. Just make sure that no frame mods or drop extensions were needed for the builds.

Good luck.
thanks Kingfish tjhis helps

Latest posts

Back